PDA

View Full Version : Gulfstream Park Handicap! (R)

thirtyMTP
03-31-2002, 03:12 AM
What a fun race! Congrats to Hal's Hope and his connections for a return to Grade I Glory after a little more than two years. You have to root for a horse that is so game, and whose connections are so loyal to each other.

Remember in 2000 when Roger Velez gave up a month at Hialeah in order to spend every day with Hal's Hope at Churchill Downs? And what a ride he gave today to help defeat Mongoose. Every time Prado moved, Velez moved. Not that I thought Prado did anything wrong, just that he was at the mercy of Velez and Hal's Hope--who was the better horse on this day.

It will be a tough decision deciding what to do next with Hal's Hope. He hasn't raelly shown much outside Florida, but he is too good to keep there for the money that will be offered at Calder. So hopefully he can produce out of town one of these days.

As for Red Bullet, Bailey was trying to play the chess game with Velez and Prado, but just didn't have the horse. He was floated way wide into the first turn, but that is hardly an excuse for stopping so badly. I have yet to read anything about the race, but of course it wouldn't be surprising if Red Bullet is retired this week.

Just thought this was a fun race to watch!

-thirtyMTP

cj
03-31-2002, 03:09 PM
And it once again shows the power of the Lone E type runner. I know Hal has shown versatility in his running style on occasion, but he only wins one way...coast to coast!

CJ