PDA

View Full Version : Gulfstream to test for Milk Shakes

karlskorner
12-30-2004, 10:07 AM
www.drf.com/news/article/61693.html

The way I read this article, blood samples will be taken prior to the race. The race is run. Should the winner or others test positive for Milk Shakes the purse is loss or "severe penalties to the Trainer".

What good is this to me personally ? If the horse test positive, he should be scratched. For some reason I like a level playing field. Does anyone know how Santa Anita handles this ?

CryingForTheHorses
12-30-2004, 03:03 PM
This is a joke!! LMAO @ testing in the late morn,Its full of holes unfortunately!.Dont really see how this will help, Its a bunch of crap ready to make some vets a hell of a lot of money!

Figman
12-30-2004, 04:04 PM
The best TCO2 test is the way New Jersey does it.....post race with a specific machine - The Beckman and at a specific time - 1 hr. to 1 hr. 15 minutes after the exertion of a race when the TCO2 level is at its highest.
This method has been proven as accurate in Australia, Hong Kong, etc. And best of all, its results have withstood a court challenge right here in the good ole USA in New Jersey - the James Campbell case. Jim Campbell, a trainer is the brother of Hal of Fame driver John Campbell.

karlskorner
12-30-2004, 05:18 PM
I know it's selfish on my part, but I wouild like to know "before" the race is run whether the animal was given a Milk Shake. It doesn't help my "bottom line" one bit, if the purse is taken away or the Trainer is fined. As I said a long time ago, I would like to see "testing equipment" in the Receiving Barn (at a great expense to each track and will never hapopen) and if the animal test positive, he is scratched and fines levied. Rest assured, if this happens, the business of racing horses would improve 1000%.

Figman
12-30-2004, 05:27 PM
Karlskorner,
Agreed, just trying to enlighten everyone interested in this matter where the "science" is at in relation to defending a prosecution for "milkshaking."

so.cal.fan
12-31-2004, 07:06 PM
It seems to me that the fact the tracks are testing will/should be a deterent to any trainer thinking about using this illegal proceedure?
If a few get nailed, I would have to think it is going to stop.
I'm personally glad they are doing this at Santa Anita, and I believe it does protect us. Let's put it this way.....it's better now than if they didn't test.

ElKabong
12-31-2004, 07:20 PM
SCF,

Do you find it strange that both Mullins and Mitchell have pulled back on their threat to leave so cal?

About the time when so Cal started this procedure they cried and whined and said they were leaving.....Now that GP is doing it, they're staying put.

I agree w/ you, this is very good news for bettors.

so.cal.fan
12-31-2004, 07:24 PM
Just pray they don't show up in Texas, Elk. :D

Drew
12-31-2004, 10:34 PM
Mitchell is at GP he is running one Monday in R10. He has a string of horses there.

Mullins decided not to go before the milkshaking came up. None of his owners wanted to run in Florida now.