PDA

View Full Version : INDICATOR HANDICAPPING

Doug
12-28-2004, 03:27 PM
This one I noticed on one of the pop up ads here.

Indicator Handicapping

Anyone read this one?

From the intro in the book

Indicator Handicapping is different because it shows you what is important in each horse's record. The factors that are important to predicting one horse's chances of winning a race will not be same as what is important for the next horse. So, Indicator Handicapping will handicap each horse differently based on its unique strengths and weaknesses.

The handicapping indicators used in this handicapping system will allow you to systematically measure these factors and accurately compare different types of horses that may be entered in the same race. In handicapping actual Thoroughbred Horse Races, You will be shown how to use the indicators as handicapping tools to make profitable betting decisions.

Thanks,

Doug

Bobby
12-28-2004, 03:43 PM
sounds like a good book! haven't read it though :D

keenang
12-28-2004, 06:47 PM
I DID BUY AND READ THE E BOOK IT IS NOT BAD, BUT I THINK IT LISTS THINGS THAT MOST OF THE GUYS ARE DOING.
GENE

sq764
12-31-2004, 02:12 AM
I read something by Horse Racing Gold in regards to Indicator Handicapping.. Not sure if this was just an ebook though..

46zilzal
12-31-2004, 01:39 PM
wouldn't it be better to stay with ONE system rather than jumping constanly? Get to know ONE approach inside and out before trying to learn yet a NEW one.

Bill Cullen
01-16-2005, 11:42 AM
From the intro in the book

Indicator Handicapping is different because it shows you what is important in each horse's record. The factors that are important to predicting one horse's chances of winning a race will not be same as what is important for the next horse. So, Indicator Handicapping will handicap each horse differently based on its unique strengths and weaknesses.

Thanks,

Doug

The above idea from the book's introduction is worth it's weight in gold to those who are willing to take the time to research what uniquely correlates with each horse best past perfromances.

Thanks for sharing that excerpt from the introduction. My guess is that nothing that follows in the book will equal the value of the insight embodied in those few lines.

Bill C

midnight
03-13-2005, 03:14 AM
I went ahead and paid the $25 for this. I didn't do so because I expected a path to riches. Even the trashiest of systems/methods/etc. sometimes offers one insight or point of view that is useful. I was curious to see how well (or poorly) the Ebook lived up to its semi-slick marketing.

(And to prove I actually did buy it, the author, in his chapter on claiming races, lists an example that uses horses named Classic Garbo and Four Times A Charm)

The book might provide a serious player some food for thought and possibly help sharpen his game in certain areas. I got a couple of ideas from it that made it well worth the $25 I spent. My advice, though, is to not buy it if you just want to use the method, because, in my opinion, it won't work "out of the box".

BIG HIT
03-13-2005, 09:30 AM
Hi curious from what i got from advertizement was it was supposed to tell you what factor would have the winner.?Did it do that?

midnight
03-13-2005, 12:27 PM
No it doesn't do that. In my opinion, the ad is stretching the truth in a major way. Here's the quote from the website:

The ad should read "the factors that are important in one type of race (e.g. allowance, claiming, etc.) are slightly different than those in a different type of race". Note the italics. As far as I'm concerned, the ad is deliberately misleading the potential buyer into thinking that different factors are chosen for each horse in a given race. They're not.

The method is a version of the old "Dot" system. It applies a criteria-based checklist to each race, and each type of race is approached the same way as every other race of that type (e.g. every allowance race). The Ebook rambles a bit about how some of the criteria might be more or less important for different horses, but it certainly doesn't give the reader anymore than a very rough outline of how that might be applied. The method recommends the use of Trackmaster past performances. In fact, one of the needed ratings is found in Trackmaster and not in DRF or BRIS/TSN past performances (although some software programs might compute a variation of it---HTR does).

Essentially, the Ebook is a very abbreviated course in day one of Handicapping 101, with a twist that is supposed to produce live longshots (again, note the italics) and some generalization about finding value (overlays) from among the contenders it produces.

While I didn't have the time or inclination to test the method over any large series of races, the premise that's supposed to produce the live longshots is dubious at best, in my opinion.

If you're the type of player (as I am) who will pay $25 for a method or system, aware that it won't work, but hoping that it adds some little tool to your arsenal or helps you see something in a different light, then you might be satisfied with your purchase. But if you're looking for a method that will work "out of the box", this one probably isn't it.

BIG HIT
03-13-2005, 01:11 PM
Thank's for info time trouble had a dot system many many moon's ago was very disappointed and it was very chalky as i remenber.Thank's agian

BIG RED
03-20-2005, 10:23 PM
I second that midnight, thanks.

And Big Hit, the one without the dot paid, once in a blue moon. :cool:

sidvicious
03-27-2005, 08:48 PM
i'm going to go a bit easier on the indicator book than other posters.

a book of this type is not a bad place to start in learning handicapping. essentially it does two things, 1) attempts to simplify speed ratings and class, and 2) determine which horses are "on form."

all of us are trying to figure which horse is fastest, and, if he is the fastest, will he run good on race day. thus, SPEED & FORM. there are dozens of "proven" methods.

the trend these days is an attempt at combining the speed/form analysis in graphical form. Thoro-Graph does this. CJ who posts here, appears to do this as well [See www.pacefigures.com] (http://www.pacefigures.com%5D), and there are others. these methods, however, depend on computer analysis and cannot be effectively duplicated by hand. thus, the need for form and speed quantification is necessary for most live bettors who don't always have time to pre-handicap a card the day before the race. personally, i like the graphical representations mentioned here, but i must always dig into the form as well. my personal preference is brisnet ultimate pp's w/ comments.

to answer your question, the book won't hurt you and it is informative, depending on your level of expertise. if you've been in the game for a few years, read most of the books generally available, then you'll not get much from it.

cheers,

sv-

midnight
03-28-2005, 09:03 AM
As I stated, the book is a very basic course in handicapping 101. It's possible that it was ripped from another source or from multiple sources. It wouldn't be difficult for somebody with modest writing skills to take content out of, say, a Quinn book and rewrite it so that it appears to be unique. I'm not saying that this happened, nor that it didn't, but it's possible. Logically, a person who will blatantly lie about what an ebook is and does probably won't have any qualms about stealing content from somewhere else and passing it off as unique.