PDA

View Full Version : Windows 98 question

andicap
12-28-2004, 01:51 PM
My mom has Windows 98 on her machine and I want to get her to Win 98SE (She lacks the RAM for much more than that. Not sure you can do Win ME very well at 128MG RAM)

Anyway is there an easy way to update from Win 98 to Win 98SE?? I suppose I have to buy an upgrade...??

Buddha
12-28-2004, 02:51 PM
i would assume that an upgrade would have to be bought. How much difference is there from 98 to 98SE anyways to make the buying worthwhile?

andicap
12-28-2004, 03:19 PM
My mom wants to download Adobe Acrobat Reader 6.0 for some software, and it needs minimum of 98SE.

Dick Schmidt
12-28-2004, 03:29 PM
Andy,

What the heck? You can buy 512 megs of memory for about $45 right now, so live it up and get her enough memory to run whatever she wants. Though 98SE was my favorite OS for a long time, XP is vastly better. The 21st century is calling.

Dick

If you really want to use 98SE, send me a private e-mail off the board. Maybe I can help.

kitts
12-28-2004, 03:37 PM
Apropos of nothing, Adobe V6 is a somewhat of an overkill. My roommate got it and had problems so I uninstalled it and got V4 Adobe Reader from the Adobe site which works much better and faster and easier, IMHO

headhawg
12-28-2004, 05:59 PM
I agree with Kitts about Adobe 6, and it really doesn't work that well with Win9x systems (better with XP). However, PDFs created with 6 cannot be read by earlier versions, at least from what I've experienced.

The upgrade to 98SE should be fairly straightforward. Pop in the disk and let autorun take over. It should detect the older OS (Win98FE) and ask if you want to upgrade. Backup anything important, though, as with any upgrade/install there are no guarantees.

All O/Ses will run better with more memory. If you don't wan't to spend the $$ on memory, 98SE or Win ME should run adequately enough with 128Megs. XP -- not so much.

JustRalph
12-28-2004, 06:09 PM
try to install the software anyway.......sometimes it will go on anyway.

You used to be able to download the service pak upgrade to se

not sure if you can anymore...............

cj
12-28-2004, 06:19 PM
Andy,

What the heck? You can buy 512 megs of memory for about $45 right now, so live it up and get her enough memory to run whatever she wants. Though 98SE was my favorite OS for a long time, XP is vastly better. The 21st century is calling.

Dick

If you really want to use 98SE, send me a private e-mail off the board. Maybe I can help.

Not many machines that old can take 512, usually 256 is the max. Worth looking into though. You don't even have to open the case. Try www.4allmemory.net to see what you have inside the machine and if any slots are open or not. They have a nice little utility to run that will tell you all you need to know.