PDA

View Full Version : Would you pay this much for Michael Vick

delayjf
12-27-2004, 03:14 PM
I'm sorry, MV is a very exciting player, but he's won nothing and does not deserve to be the highest paid player in the NFL. Sooner or later all that running is going to catch up with him, I doubt he last 10 years. There's a reason why some teams despite haveing the first picks in the drafts year after year never seem to get better. The inability to recognise true talent and knowledge of what it takes to win in the NFL. The Falcons owner is nuts.

Valuist
12-29-2004, 09:48 AM
I missed this thread earlier and I would have to agree. He may be the most exciting player in the league but its because his legs, not his arm. At some point the speed will slip; he hasn't proven he's a top 10 passer in the league. And I defended him in a thread awhile back, but no, I wouldn't have given him that much money.

sq764
12-29-2004, 10:10 AM
I missed this thread earlier and I would have to agree. He may be the most exciting player in the league but its because his legs, not his arm. At some point the speed will slip; he hasn't proven he's a top 10 passer in the league. And I defended him in a thread awhile back, but no, I wouldn't have given him that much money.

Wow, we agree completely on a QB :-)

Binder
12-29-2004, 07:38 PM
I think its way too much of course
The owner must feel Michael Vick IS the Falcons
He sells the game in Atlanta and nationally his is the
second most popular jersey behind Ben Rothlisberger
Football was nowhere in Atlanta before MV
This contract means he will spend his whole career
in Atlanta
Its the same in Indy, Payton Manning IS the Colts
So He got the crazy money Now they have to build around him

Bind

JustRalph
12-29-2004, 08:02 PM
I can't think of any great NFL quarterbacks who won consistently and were considered "running" QB's

There must be some reason for that..............

anybody come up with one?

sq764
12-29-2004, 08:13 PM
I can't think of any great NFL quarterbacks who won consistently and were considered "running" QB's

I think Steve Young was about as close as you could come..

ElKabong
12-29-2004, 08:37 PM

Roger Staubach was considered as such in his day. Started in 4 super bowls, won 2 of em.

Back then they were referred to as "scramblers" but he could definitely help his team when they fell behind by improvising and manufacturing yards. Landry hated it when he took off, but sometimes he had to. Always seemed to pick up the team.

delayjf
12-30-2004, 01:40 PM
Being a mobile quarterback is always a good thing. But Staubach won from the pocket as well. I believe at the time of his retirement he was the highest rated quarterback in the NFL. Young, Staubach,Elway, Montana were all examples of mobile quarterbacks that won from the pocket.

To win championships in the NFL, you have to either have an unbelieveable dominate Defense ala Chicago or Baltimore or a Quarterback that can win from the pocket. I just don't believe a Quarterback can run his team to a championship. So far, it's not been done.

sq764
12-30-2004, 01:46 PM
Good post Delay, I am still amazed that teams are shelling out outrageous money for running qb's.. They are exciting but they will never win the big one.

What's worse is they are signing them to 7-10 year contracts and don't realize that in 5 years when they're beat up and can't run as well, they are more confined to the pocket.. Seems like very few can make that adjustment..