PDA

View Full Version : RS-Pos: Horse Running Style (HRS) or Jockey Riding Style (JRS)?

jfdinneen
12-27-2004, 01:19 PM
What happens when JRS (Jockey Riding Style) conflicts with HRS (Horse Running Style)?

Riding either E-JRS or S-JRS requires better judgement of pace and a higher level of confidence than riding P-JRS although the latter riding style (default) probably allows the jockey a greater chance of saving face in the event of a poor trip! Also, what percentage of the variance in HRS is acccounted for by JRS? After all, as handicappers, are we not betting on the jockey's judgment as much if not more than we are betting on the horse's ability or herding instincts?

For example, Steve Cauthen (Texas) was the best turf rider in Europe for many years winning numerous Graded Stakes events including the Prix de L'Arc while stalking the pace from the front and I do not believe that he rode a greater percentage of E-HRS horses than any other rider!

What are your views or the results of research?

Best wishes,

John

cj
12-27-2004, 01:34 PM
95 times out of 100, the horse determines the style. Those other 5, the horse fights the rider and probably loses anyway.

46zilzal
12-27-2004, 01:39 PM
BELONGS to the HORSE, and being the stronger of the two, THEY WIN!

After he rode Arcagnes, everyone wanted to know what magic Bailey had used. "I didn't try to impose my will on the horse and let him run the way he wanted."

jfdinneen
12-27-2004, 03:12 PM
Are we not giving too much credit to horses?

It is my understanding that, for example, in Japan the jockey has complete discretion on how a horse will be ridden in any particular race and though there is an appreciation of pace in broad terms (up with the pace, held up for a late run) there is no reliance on EPS running styles. Despite this, Japanese jockeys are no less successful internationally than American or European jockeys.

Best wishes,

John

Tom
12-27-2004, 06:12 PM
When the jock choses to ride the hore the way he wants to run, he has a better chance of winning. When he tries to make the horse do something he dosen't want to do, he sees lots tails.
This is a crucial element of pace - three horses want the lead - only one can have it. The other two are poor bets.

ElKabong
12-28-2004, 02:58 AM
What happens when JRS (Jockey Riding Style) conflicts with HRS (Horse Running Style)?

For example, Steve Cauthen (Texas) was the best turf rider in Europe for many years winning numerous Graded Stakes events including the Prix de L'Arc while stalking the pace from the front and I do not believe that he rode a greater percentage of E-HRS horses than any other rider!

Actually, Cauthen is from the midwest. I believe you're thinking of Cash Asmussen (from laredo)...No biggie, just caught my eye.

jfdinneen
12-28-2004, 08:49 AM
ElKabong,

Thanks for the clarification.

With respect to Cash, his characteristic style was P-JRS or PS-JRS (when riding in France) as there is little or no early pace to French racing which reinforces my original assertion that the Jockey determines the pace of the race not the horse!.

I still recall the French cheers of "Allez Cash, Allez Cash (Go Cash Go)" as Asmussen would begin a late drive on the favorite in a major stakes race at Longchamp.

Best wishes,

John