PDA

View Full Version : New look

cj
12-27-2004, 12:38 PM
It stinks, I'm too old for change!

PaceAdvantage
12-27-2004, 12:43 PM
It stinks, I'm too old for change!
Uh oh....you're not going to be too happy to hear that this is the BETA look....LOL :eek:

Happy Holidays!

Buddha
12-27-2004, 12:48 PM
It is going to take some getting used to a new style after a couple years of being used to the old PA

melman
12-27-2004, 12:50 PM
:D Wait a second cj, this comment is from a guy who has changed the basic outlook of HIS site how many times in the recent past???

cj
12-27-2004, 12:52 PM
None, that I know of at least! ;)

Tee
12-27-2004, 12:57 PM
Looks very similar to the AZBilliards forum.

So I am familiar with the format and welcome the change. :)

Just don't drastically change it again PA!! :D :D

melman
12-27-2004, 01:00 PM
:confused: Wait cj that site of yours sure does NOT look like the one in the begining. Think you also started with a different name for the site. Also now you have options to buy or send donations to the site which if I remember was not in the original site. Change happens and as one ex military man to another "deal with it" :kiss:

PaceAdvantage
12-27-2004, 01:00 PM
The only think that might change are the colors and maybe a new logo or two...

Nothing major in the layout.....I think...

Make sure you check out the new display options and the search within thread options.

Plus, make sure you check out your UserCp and look at some new options contained within, including a new WYSIWYG editor (bottom of options page)

cj
12-27-2004, 01:27 PM
Where's the "Classic View" button? :cool:

melman
12-27-2004, 01:34 PM
:D Craig, don't like the msg board change?? wait until you visit the War Room LOL LOL

JimG
12-27-2004, 02:01 PM
Add me to those that like the old board as well. 2 things I could not figure out how to do with this version.

1) Change the title underneath the handle. (Mine's currently Quinela Man)

2) Create an avatar since I currently do not have one. I went to the avatar section but could not find where I can upload one from the computer like I could on the old board.

Jim

Observer
12-27-2004, 03:37 PM
Well .. put me in the category of "gonna take some getting used to" .. it never fails though .. most people simply do not like change .. especially when something has had a certain "look" or "presentation" for quite a while.

I will complain, however, about the "rolleyes" smilie .. the eyes don't roll anymore!
:rolleyes:

ANYWAY .. thanks PA for all the hard work that must have gone into making this fresh new change.

Your loyal fans will eventually warm up to the change and appreciate it.

PaceAdvantage
12-27-2004, 03:50 PM
OK, I switched the look from a horizontal look where the user name took up the upper half of a reply, to the more traditional look, where the user name and avatar on on the left hand side column. Is that a better look? It's more like the good ol' days.

cj
12-27-2004, 03:52 PM
OK, I switched the look from a horizontal look where the user name took up the upper half of a reply, to the more traditional look, where the user name and avatar on on the left hand side column. Is that a better look? It's more like the good ol' days.

Much better, at least to me!
:cool:

PaceAdvantage
12-27-2004, 03:55 PM
Add me to those that like the old board as well. 2 things I could not figure out how to do with this version.

1) Change the title underneath the handle. (Mine's currently Quinela Man)

2) Create an avatar since I currently do not have one. I went to the avatar section but could not find where I can upload one from the computer like I could on the old board.

Jim

Look at the top menu for UserCP.

Click on that and you will find EDIT OPTIONS where you can change your underneath handle, and EDIT AVATAR, where you can upload an avatar.

UserCP stands for USER CONTROL PANEL.....there's some good stuff there...check it out....

You can also activate the WYSIWYG editor....

Dave Schwartz
12-27-2004, 03:57 PM
PA,

I really like the looks of this new board. Could you email me the specifics?

Dave Schwartz

JimG
12-27-2004, 04:16 PM
Look at the top menu for UserCP.

Click on that and you will find EDIT OPTIONS where you can change your underneath handle, and EDIT AVATAR, where you can upload an avatar.

UserCP stands for USER CONTROL PANEL.....there's some good stuff there...check it out....

You can also activate the WYSIWYG editor....
PA,

I found all that you reference above but could not find HOW to change the underneath handle or HOW to upload an avatar. I tried to uncheck no avatar and it would not let me do that. When you have time maybe you or someone else can walk me through it. Never had a problem with either on the other board.

freeneasy
12-27-2004, 04:22 PM
but whos the new guy over there on the third row from the left, third one down. looks kinda like he's about ready to throw a cow of some sort :D either that or hes some guy that nobody wants to kiss :D and what about the guy with the great big grin? looks like you took him away from all his buddies. he should be over there on the right hand side too.

PaceAdvantage
12-27-2004, 04:23 PM
Jim G,

To change your underneath name, click UserCP, click Edit Profile, which is on the left hand side.

Near the top is a box named CUSTOM USER TITLE. Fill in whatever name you want in the box, make sure you DON'T check the RESET box, then, and this is IMPORTANT, scroll down and click the SAVE CHANGES button.

To change the avatar, again go into UserCP, click EDIT AVATAR, then make sure USE CUSTOM AVATAR is selected, and just click the BROWSE button to browse your hard drive for the picture you want.

If the picture is on the web, instead of browsing, simply enter the URL of the image.

Then scroll down and click SAVE CHANGES (again, important)

If the image you want meets the message board requirements (100x100 pixels, or 19.5 kb in size, whichever is smaller), then it should appear on your posts.

JimG
12-27-2004, 04:35 PM
PA,

Under Edit Options, I have these 5 areas on my screen:

1) Login and Privacy
2) Messaging and Notification
3) Thread display Options
4) Date and Time options
5) Miscellaneous Options

I do not see Custom User Title anywhere on the screen.

When I click edit Avatar, this is the only thing on the screen area:

Do not use an Avatar is clicked.

There is no option on the screen to use Custom Avatar. I cannot uncheck the Do Not use an Avatar block. It stays checked.

Jim

Tom
12-27-2004, 05:45 PM
Like the minor change to everything on the left, like before.
The violet border is a bit, uh, nausious!
But the whole ting looks neat. Like the status of your PM box now.
Thanks for the work you put into this for us all.

PaceAdvantage
12-27-2004, 05:51 PM
I do not see Custom User Title anywhere on the screen.

It's not under Edit Options. It's under Edit Profile, which is the link right ABOVE Edit Options.....confusing, I know....but hey, I didn't write the software, I just installed it....LOL

As for the avatar, what you describe is odd....I have to look into that.

Tom
12-27-2004, 05:52 PM
How come I don't have a little triangle for report bad post under my name?
Is it becasue all my posts are so great, no one would ever complain? :rolleyes:

PaceAdvantage
12-27-2004, 05:54 PM
I guess they think you'd have to be a little nuts to report your own post? I don't have one either, but when I look at your post, there is a triangle with an exclamation point!

PaceAdvantage
12-27-2004, 05:55 PM
JimG, I gave you my avatar temporarily. Let me know what you see now under the Avatar section....

JustRalph
12-27-2004, 06:27 PM
I get the same as JIMG...........can't upload an avatar........

I am no computer expert........but something is FUBAR

cj
12-27-2004, 06:36 PM
The PMs are all bunched up on the right hand side of the screen, pretty ugly.

JustRalph
12-27-2004, 06:57 PM
clicking on a username in a thread brings out a cool new menu.........

I like the look...........growing on me

Hammerhead
12-27-2004, 07:16 PM
All the same to me. Never could change anything, just the smily faces. Never could make anything bold larger smaller ( O yes I could make my bankroll smaller). Looks good PA bugs will get worked out.
And I even found my password. Saved that in a e-mail on a differant computer

Overlay
12-27-2004, 07:37 PM
I've never used an avatar on my posts, and I'm trying to upload one following the instructions in this thread. However, when I go to the Edit Avatar section of the User CP, it seems I'm having the same problem as JimG. The only option I'm seeing is "Do not use an avatar", which is pre-marked as selected with a black dot, and which I'm not being allowed to change. I'm not seeing any option corresponding to "Use Custom Avatar" or any type of "browse" prompt to allow me to select an avatar from an established list.

Overlay
12-27-2004, 07:50 PM
Again, I'm probably missing something, but I'm also not seeing a "Custom User Title" field under the "User Profile" section to allow input of a new user title on my posts.

ljb
12-27-2004, 09:08 PM
I like the new look. Thanks PA, for updating this board.

Larry Hamilton
12-27-2004, 09:39 PM
Nice, pretty new web site with the same old lbj, like guilding a turd

Zaf
12-27-2004, 10:20 PM
I get the same as JIMG...........can't upload an avatar........

I am no computer expert........but something is FUBAR

NO COMPUTER EXPERT, Ralph when something goes awray, your the guy we flock to , Thank God you are here !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ZAFONIC

Dave Schwartz
12-27-2004, 10:24 PM
Larry,

>>like guilding a turd<<

That was funny.

First time I read it for some reason I saw "gelding a turtle." ALso conjurs up a picture, doesn't it?

Dave

BillW
12-27-2004, 10:27 PM
Larry,

>>like guilding a turd<<

That was funny.

First time I read it for some reason I saw "gelding a turtle." ALso conjurs up a picture, doesn't it?

Dave
Kinda makes you wonder what behavior that a turtle could exhibit that would warrant gelding :eek: :D

doophus
12-27-2004, 10:53 PM
Kinda makes you wonder what behavior that a turtle could exhibit that would warrant gelding :eek: :DQuicker than a rabbit?
:)

doophus
12-27-2004, 10:56 PM
PA said, "The only think that might change are the colors and maybe a new logo or two..."

You're not considering pinstripes, eh?

Doophus & ljb like it. :eek:

keilan
12-27-2004, 11:22 PM
PA -- You need to make some changes in the WR, I realize you don't go there often but those of us that do ------ well drop in some time, and it will be readily apparent or you can speak with Melman, he will clue you in.

As you can probably tell, I'm not too crazy about change :eek: :eek:

PaceAdvantage
12-28-2004, 12:06 AM
Are you talking about the new war room? I know the private messages are a bit screwy, but other than that, please fill me in with more details.

I looked over your stuff tonight, and it seems everything was going smoothy in the new War Room.

The old War Room will stay up until I work out the kinks in the new one....

PaceAdvantage
12-28-2004, 12:17 AM
OK folks. I forgot to flip the proverbial switch.

You can now set your CUSTOM USER TITLE and upload AVATARS to your heart's content!

I promise...it works now....

keilan
12-28-2004, 12:22 AM
I’ll keep it brief Mike.

1) I’d like to see the text wrapped
2) Be able to click on someone’s name without having to type it in every time
3) Screen is too small as I have computer video for the races and makes it so that I can’t see who is entering or leaving the WR or else the video is covering the posts. Not fun
4) Not enuff history – it goes back 20 post approx –not nearly enough
5) And you already know about the PM’s

Other than that I luv it

keilan
12-28-2004, 12:30 AM
I looked over your stuff tonight, and it seems everything was going smoothy in the new War Room.

Thats only because we were hitting a few races :D :D

Thanks Mike for all your efforts, you truly are the best :kiss: :kiss:

Bob Allen
12-28-2004, 12:49 AM
PA,

Been hanging around this joint for five years now and, in three words, I like it!

Bob

PaceAdvantage
12-28-2004, 01:49 AM
Private messaging in the new WarRoom should be fixed. It won't tab all the way over to the right anymore.....

PaceAdvantage
12-28-2004, 02:06 AM
History now increased in new WarRoom....now goes back 60 posts.

cj
12-28-2004, 07:45 AM
Also, in the War Room, it keeps jumping to the bottom every few seconds. Makes it very hard to read through the older posts. Even if you hold the scroll bar, it still jumps to the bottom.

Equineer
12-28-2004, 08:01 AM
Well, the "New Look" threw me for a loop because my cookie for automatic login no longer worked. I had to email back home and wait for a reply to get my original password... did others experience this?

I know... I know... this post is a straight line all teed up for clever punch-line replies. :cool:

Tom
12-28-2004, 11:18 AM
clicking on a username in a thread brings out a cool new menu.........

I like the look...........growing on me

Too bad "Delete Member" is not on that menu! :D

bettheoverlay
12-28-2004, 11:36 AM
Too blue, way too blue. Otherwise, good.

Bubbles
12-28-2004, 12:16 PM
I don't hate it, but I do think the feel is completely different. And, yes, it IS a little too blue, I generally don't associate horse racing with the color blue, lol.

Speed Figure
12-28-2004, 12:41 PM
I like the old look better. :(

cj
12-28-2004, 01:59 PM
I like the ability to display post with the newest on top. Not sure if you could do that with the old style, but I like it.

Pace Cap'n
12-28-2004, 02:14 PM
I like the ability to display post with the newest on top. Not sure if you could do that with the old style, but I like it.
How do you do that?

cj
12-28-2004, 04:11 PM
How do you do that?

Click User CP, then Edit Options, then down the page, find:

Thread Display Mode
Here you can choose the display mode for threads. For a full explanation of the modes, please view this help page.
Thread Display Mode:

Select Linear - newest first

Pace Cap'n
12-28-2004, 04:51 PM
Thanks, CJ.

That's better, but I still kind of miss the old way of just clicking "view new posts".

BillW
12-28-2004, 05:19 PM
Thanks, CJ.

That's better, but I still kind of miss the old way of just clicking "view new posts".
Pace,

It's label is shortened but still has the same function. Click on "New Posts"

Bill

JustRalph
12-28-2004, 06:06 PM
I like that after you click new posts or open a list of threads, you can hold your mouse over the thread name and get a short version of the first post in the thread.......some of them are pretty long actually.........

Pace Cap'n
12-28-2004, 06:35 PM
Now I get it.