PDA

View Full Version : If you could never gamble again on racing or sports...

Valuist
12-26-2004, 12:21 PM
Remember the movie "Easy Money" where Rodney Dangerfield had to give up his vices, among them gambling, to stand to inherit a fortune. If you were in a situation where you had to 100% quit gambling, what would you still follow?

I'd still follow the Triple Crown and the preps as well as the Breeders Cup. But I don't think I'd be watching the Sugar Bowl Handicap from the FG or a $5000 NW2 field from Turfway. So I'd follow the real big races and pretty much ignore the others.

Sports? I don't bet baseball but I enjoy watching it so that wouldn't change. Football? I'd still watch my hometown team and probably Monday Night football but I doubt I'd tune in to the Giants/Cardinals or Panthers/Bengals. I definitely wouldn't watch college football w/out gambling. NBA? I'll make a few situational wagers on it but w/out gambling? No way would I watch. College bball? I'd watch the NCAA tourney but that would be it.

Tee
12-26-2004, 12:36 PM
There had better be some strings attached(ala Rodney) for me to quit gambling 100%.

Of course I don't consider what I do gambling. :D :D

It would be off to the course for me - what would be wrong with a little nassau? ;) ;)

sq764
12-26-2004, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by Valuist
Remember the movie "Easy Money" where Rodney Dangerfield had to give up his vices, among them gambling, to stand to inherit a fortune. If you were in a situation where you had to 100% quit gambling, what would you still follow?

I'd still follow the Triple Crown and the preps as well as the - Breeders Cup. But I don't think I'd be watching the Sugar Bowl Handicap from the FG or a $5000 NW2 field from Turfway. So I'd follow the real big races and pretty much ignore the others.

Sports? I don't bet baseball but I enjoy watching it so that wouldn't change. Football? I'd still watch my hometown team and probably Monday Night football but I doubt I'd tune in to the Giants/Cardinals or Panthers/Bengals. I definitely wouldn't watch college football w/out gambling. NBA? I'll make a few situational wagers on it but w/out gambling? No way would I watch. College bball? I'd watch the NCAA tourney but that would be it.

Well, if I actually survived the head first dive into a cement slab from the top of the sears tower, I would:

- still watch the Triple Crown
- still watch harness racing at the Meadowlands, just because it's fun to watch
- never ever watch poker on tv again, as it would kill me to watch and not be able to play
- would have to disown all of my online horseracing buddies, as it would be torturous to hear them talk about the track

betovernetcapper
12-26-2004, 01:45 PM
I'd go into the stock market or maybe futures-what was it that Hillary won big on?

Tom
12-26-2004, 05:24 PM
I would start selling a tout sheet of my picks. That way, I'd still be handicapping, and getting something back on my pics.