12-26-2004, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by Buddha
http://espn.go.com/classic/obit/s/2004/1226/1953400.html

Died of a heart attack. Sad to hear from such a competitor on the field

Wow, 43 years old...

so.cal.fan
12-26-2004, 02:14 PM
Buddha?

Why do you think so many of these football players die so young?
Do you think it's bad diet or too many steroids or what?
It seems I read about an early death of one of these men so often......:(

sq764
12-26-2004, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by so.cal.fan
Buddha?

I hate to say this, but MLB and NFL players need to see someone die young due to steroids to wake them up... You don't like to see anyone die, but if it is shown that they died due to roids, it would likely scare some of them into quitting steroids..

I think the problem with steroids in major sports and olympics is far, far above what anyone even imagines it is..

Tee
12-26-2004, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by so.cal.fan
Buddha?

I'll chime in with my 2 cents worth.

Could be drugs, alcohol abuse, diet etc.

In Reggie White's case there might be an underlying problem that had yet to be diagnosed. Many athletes have enlarged hearts due to the conditioning that it takes to be a top athlete. Now this large heart can also be resulting from cardiomyopathy, high blood pressure, etc.

Now if his condition was medical, he could have thrown a clot causing the massive heart attack. The heart could have been so enlarged + the muscle could be scarred to a point that the electrical activity of the heart was impaired thus leading to a sudden cardiac arrest.

The answer will come from autopsy if one is performed.

sq764
12-26-2004, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by Tee
I'll chime in with my 2 cents worth.

Could be drugs, alcohol abuse, diet etc.

In Reggie White's case there might be an underlying problem that had yet to be diagnosed. Many athletes have enlarged hearts due to the conditioning that it takes to be a top athlete. Now this large heart can also be resulting from cardiomyopathy, high blood pressure, etc.

Now if his condition was medical, he could have thrown a clot causing the massive heart attack. The heart could have been so enlarged + the muscle could be scarred to a point that the electrical activity of the heart was impaired thus leading to a sudden cardiac arrest.

The answer will come from autopsy if one is performed.
That's a good point.. That and the fact that a lot of these athletes (lineman especially) have a very tough time outside of sports when their careers are ended.. A guy like Reggie White, who likely played at 315 -ish his whole career had to be eating a TON of food to maintain that weight, all the while working out with a wicked regimine...

Take away the workout and you have a guy eating for 2 or 3 and not burning any off... HBO had a special on retired lineman and how it was so hard on them to get back into the 'real world'..

46zilzal
12-26-2004, 07:30 PM
Have a patient who had top have a kidney translpant due to taking too many UNTESTED steriods. Used to be a defensive back for the Raiders.

Lots of trouble with "paying the piper."

sq764
12-26-2004, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by 46zilzal
Have a patient who had top have a kidney translpant due to taking too many UNTESTED steriods. Used to be a defensive back for the Raiders.

Lots of trouble with "paying the piper."

Speaking of the Raiders - Lyle Alzedo..

Valuist
12-26-2004, 08:52 PM
His wife said she thought it was from sleep apnea. But I don't think it would be an extreme stretch to suspect there could've been steroid use.

RXB
12-26-2004, 08:56 PM
Expect more. These guys are WAY too big now. Even if a guy's not on steroids, the amounts of saturated fat and simple sugar that they must be eating send the risk of heart disease and diabetes through the roof. Add the steroids into that mix, and it's big trouble.

Reggie White was the best DL that I've ever seen.

Valuist
02-22-2005, 01:29 PM
Bad year if you're a 43 YO former NFL player named Reggie:

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/8218797

JustRalph
02-22-2005, 08:14 PM
That guy was one hell of a punter........shame.....damn shame

Steve 'StatMan'
02-22-2005, 08:50 PM
Sad loss. I was always greatly impressed by his long-distance punts. Truly amazing to watch. Not typical to remember, let alone be amazed by "punters" in the NFL, there are many offensive and defensive stars and standouts, and clutch place kickers.

chickenhead
02-22-2005, 09:11 PM
He used to wear a watch in the game. I always thought that was pretty cool.

Valuist
03-22-2005, 10:39 AM
Another former NFL player dies before age 50. I think we'll see more and more of this. Can't help but wonder if steroids are involved in some of these cases:

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/8316738

Buddha
03-22-2005, 12:15 PM
Why you would lift by yourself if you have a heart problem is beyond me. That sems a death that could have been prevented.