PDA

View Full Version : True

crestridge
03-10-2022, 05:08 AM
True Line hit the #7 horse today @ TPX in the 7th Race for $91.40. TL gave a probability of 6-1, the ML odds were 30-1.

PaceAdvantage
03-10-2022, 10:19 AM
That's a lotta overlay!

geroge.burns99
03-10-2022, 04:14 PM
True Line hit the #7 horse today @ TPX in the 7th Race for $91.40. TL gave a probability of 6-1, the ML odds were 30-1.

I always like to handicap stuff like this when someone brings it up....

First thing I look at is the favorite......

The 3/5 ML favorite was off for 341 days.....

I don't care if he was Secretariat , a horse like that will not get my $2

DONE!!!

Race gets to be an open and value

crestridge
03-10-2022, 05:58 PM
Good point, suspect coming off injury, etc. PA, yes, when I see this, it's probably worth $2.00. When you see a entrant going off @ 44-1 and win, is not often. However, in the parameters offered by TL, this #7 entrant had the most parameters ranked 1-3, 7 parameters, the closest was #2, with only 6 parameters listed 1-3 (the entrant going off as fav.) No other entrant had more than 2 parameters listed, ranked 1-3. I didn't bet the horse, because I haven't been using this TL program much, but I guess I need to pay attention. The contender selection in this program is very good. If you have this application, you may wish to revisit!!

crestridge
03-10-2022, 06:00 PM
I lied, the #2 entrant had 8 parameters listed, sorry!!

ranchwest
03-10-2022, 11:24 PM
I had that horse as top rated outside the favorite. The favorite did have an impressive workout tab, but broke through the gate prestart and that is why 1/2 is so dicey. I remember telling a friend one time to pass a race because the favorite was so strong... first stride out of the gate the jockey flew over his head.

crestridge
03-11-2022, 07:23 PM
Isn't that always the major question? What's the evaluation of the fav.? It's horse racing, and requires a quant database to answer the question long term ROI. Probably means most will pass on a 44-1 shot, because it's very rare they win. However, when all the pieces are put together, there was certainly a possibility of some good effort. The other entrants didn't show much. So many variables in this challenging endeavor, almost to many.

But I still plug away, trying to learn, something, and this race is a "teacher".

What have I learned? Don't necessarily bypass a big overlay, don't automatically ignore as a possibility, especially when the "quant application" says to "look"!!!

ranchwest
03-11-2022, 08:20 PM
It's all numbers. If you never bet a 44/1, you'll never hit one. If you bet every 44/1, you'll go broke.

crestridge
03-11-2022, 10:00 PM
Yes, that's so true!

andicap
03-15-2022, 08:16 AM
What is True Line? Googled and couldn't find any info on it.

geroge.burns99
03-15-2022, 08:20 AM
What is True Line? Googled and couldn't find any info on it.

Most likely an old software program....

lefty359
03-15-2022, 06:31 PM
Yes it's an old software put out by the late Jim Selvedge.

geroge.burns99
03-15-2022, 07:24 PM
And most likely uses feet per second ..

way past its usefulness...

ranchwest
03-16-2022, 02:01 PM

If it still picks winners, it isn't past the usefulness of some people.

geroge.burns99
03-16-2022, 02:30 PM
If it still picks winners, it isn't past the usefulness of some people.

It probably does pick winners ...

at a 29% clip and a ROI of .81

:bang:

ranchwest
03-17-2022, 02:21 AM
It probably does pick winners ...

at a 29% clip and a ROI of .81

:bang:

And you know this because...

geroge.burns99
03-17-2022, 08:17 AM
And you know this because...

Just being presumptuous ......:rolleyes:

Tom
03-17-2022, 09:20 AM

When did fps stop being useful?

geroge.burns99
03-17-2022, 09:52 AM
When did fps stop being useful?

because everyone has the info ....and using it alone won't get you anywhere

ranchwest
03-17-2022, 02:07 PM

There's many ways to use fps, so there is a choice. While many people have some fps measurement, they don't all use the same one. The more important aspect... which line?

geroge.burns99
03-17-2022, 02:51 PM
There's many ways to use fps, so there is a choice. While many people have some fps measurement, they don't all use the same one. The more important aspect... which line?

This is the 80's and 90's thinking....

Like I said...way past its usefulness

Tom
03-17-2022, 04:07 PM

Who uses it alone?
I got 5 winners and a place at Tam Derby Day the other day using MPH.

Tom
03-17-2022, 04:09 PM

Which horse and which line.....timeless. :ThmbUp:

crestridge
03-17-2022, 05:40 PM
True Line's contender selection is probably no different than any major application offered. There is a slight difference in the paceline selection, which goes back as far as needed to find what each entrant can produce. This paceline selection doesn't just use the last most recent paceline only. It may go back 10 pacelines, according to the instructions for paceline selection. Most the time it picks one of the best pacelines of the entrant. Hence, once in awhile, a entrant who hasn't done well currently, may have a history of doing better, "awhile" back Thus giving a longshot a chance to win.

I use the software to supplement my other "tool", JCapper. JCapper is my main "man", but I use whatever helps me. And it is helpful.

ranchwest
03-17-2022, 07:52 PM
This is the 80's and 90's thinking....

Like I said...way past its usefulness

You've got quite a sense of humor.

geroge.burns99
03-17-2022, 07:59 PM
True Line's contender selection is probably no different than any major application offered. There is a slight difference in the paceline selection, which goes back as far as needed to find what each entrant can produce. This paceline selection doesn't just use the last most recent paceline only. It may go back 10 pacelines, according to the instructions for paceline selection. Most the time it picks one of the best pacelines of the entrant. Hence, once in awhile, a entrant who hasn't done well currently, may have a history of doing better, "awhile" back Thus giving a longshot a chance to win.

I use the software to supplement my other "tool", JCapper. JCapper is my main "man", but I use whatever helps me. And it is helpful.

had JCP for 7 years ....

How you doing with UDM's?

crestridge
03-17-2022, 10:11 PM
Not usin' lots of UDM's, mainly generating/using odds lines, waiting until last few seconds to observe what the "crowd" gives me. Lookin' for some value...playin' with different ideas, always attempin' to improve my research. Can't find another application that "fits" my appetite. It's so comprehensive, of course if I could improve physical handicapping, I would do a lot better.

How bout' yourself, what applications are you using?

geroge.burns99
03-17-2022, 11:04 PM
Not usin' lots of UDM's, mainly generating/using odds lines, waiting until last few seconds to observe what the "crowd" gives me. Lookin' for some value...playin' with different ideas, always attempin' to improve my research. Can't find another application that "fits" my appetite. It's so comprehensive, of course if I could improve physical handicapping, I would do a lot better.

How bout' yourself, what applications are you using?

I moved on from JCapper ...

With HTR last 1.5 years ......much more opportunities to handicap races..

with multiple programs including research and even an AI Sim program

along with building Spot Plays with a multitude amount of factors

JCapper was much more restraint on what you can do with it..

crestridge
03-19-2022, 12:01 AM
I'm glad you found you "comfort zone"...that's really important...I've heard good things about the program...these more comprehensive programs, fit one person well, then another person may not "fit"...that's the key, to find the "comfort zone"...I've tried some very expensive programs, one even with AI, but I just couldn't "fit in". I've settled in now, and feel good about JCP.

But our love of this endeavor will always require research, changes are always happening. I think, maybe, multiple programs improves the "bottom line".

geroge.burns99
03-19-2022, 09:48 AM
I'm glad you found you "comfort zone"...that's really important...I've heard good things about the program...these more comprehensive programs, fit one person well, then another person may not "fit"...that's the key, to find the "comfort zone"...I've tried some very expensive programs, one even with AI, but I just couldn't "fit in". I've settled in now, and feel good about JCP.

But our love of this endeavor will always require research, changes are always happening. I think, maybe, multiple programs improves the "bottom line".

agree crest...

if you every want to talk and exchange ideas ...shoot me a PM

crestridge
03-19-2022, 02:28 PM
You "bet" ...

wiretowire68
03-20-2022, 08:07 PM
How do they calculate the MPH, what is the formula for that?