PDA

View Full Version : Any novel thorough-gifts?

TOOZ
12-26-2004, 09:03 AM
Get any cool gifts?

Dave Schwartz
12-26-2004, 11:06 AM
Tooz,

My wife got me a Ferdinand hat. The money goes to a wothwhile cause.
http://www.horsehats.com/Ferdinand.html

I also got a great TBred calendar from these guys:

http://www.americanhorsepubs.org/news_updates/news_update_724.html

BTW, my plan with the calendar is to do what I did several years ago with a similar calendar: Tear it apart and put the individual pictures on backing to decorate my office.

The pictures are amazingly high quality. One problem though: There is a whole in the picture for hanging on a nail! Until last year each picture had a small, white border at the top for the whole.

Last year's pictures were worthless for this because the hole on 7 of the pictures were below the top of the jockey's hat. This year's pictures are better.

Regards,
Dave Schwartz

Tom
12-26-2004, 11:50 AM
A photo of a jockey with a hole in his head???
I want one!:D

JimG
12-26-2004, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by Tom
A photo of a jockey with a hole in his head???
I want one!:D

Harder to find a photo of a jockey without a hole in his head. Pass the bananas.

TRM
12-26-2004, 05:45 PM
My wife and kids got me Gallop Racer 2004 for P/S 2.

It looks like fun!!!

OTM Al
12-26-2004, 08:22 PM
I got a real porkpie hat. Now when I go to the track I can go in style :)

Observer
12-27-2004, 03:15 PM
My wife got me a Ferdinand hat. ...

I also got a great TBred calendar ...

Regards,
Dave Schwartz

Two thumbs up to your wife for the Ferdinand hat!!

Just curious .. the Thoroughbred Racing Calendar .. I think it's the same calendar I remember from when I was younger .. the company (I believe was simply called Thoroughbred Racing Calendar) used to put out a catalog, with all kinds of cool racing-related gifts .. and they used to display the photos of the new calender .. and the photos were generally always brilliant .. but I guess that company isn't around anymore, and this publishing company took over the calendar because of the calendar's reputation??? Is there a way to see the pictures in this new calendar???

Maybe the change in production companies is what resulted in the change in the display .. with the holes being dropped down to the photo area instead of on a white boarder .. is there anyway you can maybe fill the holes from last year's pictures .. maybe using some colored paper or something .. maybe when they're mounted and placed on the walls it won't be as obvious as when you have it right in front of you. Know what I mean???

It also couldn't hurt to call the company and tell them this gripe .. that was always one of the selling points of the calendar .. that the prints could be transformed into wall art.

Dave Schwartz
12-27-2004, 03:24 PM
The old company (Thorughbred Racing Catalog) was run by Eleanor Lewis, a really nice lady. They went out of business, I guess. Just disappeared. I called her one day and the number was disconnected.

The new guys are the ones who successfully purchased the rights to the pictures from the photographers.

As always, the photography is excellent... maybe even a little better than in previous years. The pictures are a hair larger; hence the problem.

Last year's pictures were the first I had seen without a small white border around the picture. I asked them to consider that when the made the calendar this year but apparently it fell on deaf ears.

Dave

Observer
12-27-2004, 03:42 PM
I'd call again, and say just that .. that you mentioned it last year .. and you always looked forward to hanging the pictures .. and were disappointed yet again with this new calendar .. can they keep it in mind for the next calendar .. and then give them a call in late summer 2005 .. when I would imagine work is under way on the production of the 2006 calendar.

Dave Schwartz
12-27-2004, 04:00 PM
OB,

I guess great minds think alike. <G>

Already did that.

And the owner said, "Oh, we need to consider that next year." (Same as last year.)

Nevertheless, we will begin building new pictures on my wall this week. (It is a birthday present from my wife - and the task is huge.)

Dave

JimG
12-27-2004, 04:10 PM
The old company (Thorughbred Racing Catalog) was run by Eleanor Lewis, a really nice lady. They went out of business, I guess. Just disappeared. I called her one day and the number was disconnected.

Dave

Dave,

I actually went there in person once. They were located in a small town called Warsau, VA. The store was really neat with all thoroughbred racing memorabilia for sale. That is one flea market sale I would have liked to attend.

Jim

Tom
12-27-2004, 06:07 PM
I got a real porkpie hat. Now when I go to the track I can go in style :)

What is a porkpie hat? Is that like a cheesehead? :confused:

TOOZ
12-28-2004, 03:08 PM
http://www.hatguys.com/searchProcess.cfm