PDA

View Full Version : Flying with a 6 month old??

sq764
12-26-2004, 08:27 AM
Need some advice on this one... My niece is graduating from high school in May and lives in Florida. We (my wife, child and I) were going to go down, but are trying to decide whether to drive or fly..

Our baby will be 6 months old in May and I figured that driving 18 hours (from Delaware to Tampa) would be tough on him (and tough on our sanity).. On the other hand, I have heard that some babies have a horrible time with their ears on flights and it's a nightmare..

I am not sure which avenue to go with this..

Anyone have any experience flying with infants??

Larry Hamilton
12-26-2004, 09:13 AM
Everyone on the flight will thank you to drive

lsbets
12-26-2004, 09:14 AM
Scott,

My son went on a plane for the first time when he was 3 months old. The best advice we got was to give him a bottle or have him suck on a pacifier during takeoff and landing. That helps their ears a lot. He still had some problems landing, but they weren't too bad. Its much worse flying with them once they can walk and want to explore the plane.

sq764
12-26-2004, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by Larry Hamilton
Everyone on the flight will thank you to drive

Well, I think it's also the parent's responsibility to keep the child quiet and calm as you can in those (and any public) situations.. And yes, I have considered that as a potential issue as well. But with a 2 hour flight, I think we have enough 'techniques' so far to keep him calm..

Equineer
12-26-2004, 10:19 AM
Parenting a child interactively via a horseracing board is a concept that deserves documentary coverage... maybe Michael Moore would be interested in assigning a production crew to live with your family for a few years. :D

sq764
12-26-2004, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by Equineer
Parenting a child interactively via a horseracing board is a concept that deserves documentary coverage... maybe Michael Moore would be interested in assigning a production crew to live with your family for a few years. :D

Asking other parents about how well their 6 month old took a plane flight is parenting a child interactively?

You're really a sad human being, aren't you? You remind me of this woman that works for me that has been divorced twice and had another guy leave her.. She's the most miserable person in the world and makes every effort to make others miserable to share in her's.. I feel sorry for the both of you..

You are without a doubt the most negative individual I have ever come across in my life. Oh well, it makes me appreciate how fortunate I am to have a happy life and people to share it with..

go away loser..

lsbets
12-26-2004, 11:43 AM
Wow - I never realized there was anything wrong with asking advice from other people. Vetquineer, you are truly one of a kind.

PaceAdvantage
12-27-2004, 12:58 AM
Changes are coming very soon....some quite large, others quite small, but noticable nonetheless....LOL