PDA

View Full Version : Rumsfeld in Iraq

lsbets
12-24-2004, 12:42 PM
Intersting what happens when soldiers are allowed to ask questions of the SecDef without the media hijacking the event:

http://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory?id=357718

I think the best question is the one I've asked since I've been here - why doesn't all of the good news and all of the progress get reported?

ljb
12-24-2004, 12:51 PM
This was "live" on CNN this morning from approx. 6:00 am until after 7:00 am. I believe Faux was also broadcasting this event.
A Reporter in Iraq was asked the same quesiton you asked pertaining to good news. His reply was they were embedded with the troops and did not feel safe going out by themselves to cover a school opening or such things. On C-span the question was asked. If you have a school opening in south Iraq and a bombing in Mosul, as a reporter which story are you going to cover?
The old cliche "if it bleeds it leads" still survives.

lsbets
12-24-2004, 10:23 PM
Here's another link, this one to a first hand account:

http://www.thebantyrooster.com/imported-data/2004/12/24/a-must-read-email-from-an-american-soldier.html

ElKabong
12-25-2004, 02:35 AM
Lsbets,

First off, Merry Xmas.

I saw some footage of that on KERA (of all places). The troops and the Secretary were in good spirits, esp w/ the "gift" they got from one of saddam's palaces :). That was great to see.

If your wife can tape ch4's coverage of people at DFW airport welcoming troops "home" tonite in the terminals, it was something to see. Caught the GI's off guard and they looked to appreciate the welcome. It'll likely be replayed tomorrow on the nightly newscasts as well.

Stay safe, be well.

lsbets
12-25-2004, 02:58 AM
Elk,

I had that reception at DFW when I came home for R&R. I walked out of the terminal and was greeted by a ton of people. The first person I could pick out in the crowd was my wife, and then I saw my son. It was great and those folks are out there everyday to welcome troops home.

Merry Christmas to you too. I am about to head off to the mess hall to serve lunch to my soldiers. Its an old Army tradition that on the holidays the leaders serve food to their soldiers, and they really got a kick out of it on Thanksgiving.

See you at LS in the spring!

46zilzal
12-25-2004, 01:52 PM
Amamzing hypocrite

toetoe
12-25-2004, 05:18 PM
Don't forget, stateside the gloom and doom, death and destruction stuff rules. Why should overseas be any different?

Tom
12-25-2004, 07:24 PM
The people that count - the troops - seem to have a good opinion of Rumsfeld. While I disagree with how he is doing it, the point is, he is doing it and those serving under him have a much better perspective of him than any of us on the sidelines.
When ist comes to news organizations, they exist to make profits. News is ALWAYS secondary. I repeat, ALWAYS secondary. Fact of life.
Let's see, Bush, Rumsfeld seceral times, Vinny Mac and dozens of wrestlers twice, hmmmm. Seems the only people that have'nt been to Iraq are Kerry, Edwres, and the deada-head Hollywired types. I thought Al Franken would be doing a live "remote" from the front for his holiday program. Though Michael Moore would there investingating the armour issue. But Nooooooooo.
There is Rumsfeld, right in the middle of the action while all his detractors sat at home by the fire, drinking egg nog and wrapping presents. Says a lot about the man, doesn' t it?