PDA

View Full Version : Handicapping Speed

Aussieplayer
05-03-2001, 04:52 AM
Hi all,

Oh well, it looks as though someone needs to start a new thread :)

I really think, "Handicapping Speed" by Charles Carroll is a very worthwhile read. Beyer said it was one of the most thoughtful and literate books on horseracing.

It's an interesting look at thoroughbred sprints, using quarterhorse studies to see what's going on in the early stages, and moves through the different ranges to see what's going on.

He looks at stamina, top speed etc. and also introduces his alternative speed figure, the "Carroll fig."

A basic intro. to selecting speed lines and betting the race is included. I did think the book lacked a bit in this area, however his articles at www.icapper.com almost seem to extend on the book in this area.

He has a very intersting discussion on chaos in horseracing, and a good look at other handicapping methods.

Well worth a read!!

Regards,
Aussieplayer

GR1@HTR
06-01-2001, 09:09 AM
Cool, that is the next read on my list after I finish the following...

Handicappers Condition Book
Horses Talk: It pays to listen
Re Read the Odds Must be Crazy

andicap
06-01-2001, 10:10 AM
Ever read Crist's book on breeding industry, "The Horse Traders?" Not a handicapping book, but really fascinating.

andicap

GR1@HTR
06-01-2001, 01:33 PM
No, but sounds interesting. I'll add it to my list...

entropy
02-19-2002, 09:09 PM
"I really think, "Handicapping Speed" by Charles Carroll is a very worthwhile read."

if interested in track variants and problems with accurate times it is a GREAT book.

most authors would fill their books with examples of specific races and PP lines. one of the best things about his book is that he does not. ;) :) ;)

sq764
03-16-2002, 01:56 PM
How is this book (Odds must be crazy)? I have heard about it, but wasn't sure of the basic principles behind it.

Scott

cj
03-16-2002, 02:16 PM
Its mostly about "the sheets" figs of Len Ragozin and how to interpret the patterns if I remember correctly. It doesn't go into any detail of specific formulas about the figs or anything like that if I remember correctly, been a long time since I read it. A lot of autobiographical stuff too about Ragozin.

CJ

rrbauer
03-16-2002, 07:25 PM
If you're a sheet player or at least know how to read the sheets (either Thorograph or Raggies) it's a decent read. As CJ pointed out there's a lot of biographical stuff and a lot of Lennie strutting.

Buy it used...