PDA

View Full Version : Race shape

grahors
12-22-2004, 07:27 AM
Greetings,
I utilize BRIS PP's. Are there any guidelines for determining if the paceline I am looking at was run at a fast, slow or indifferent pace for the class? I know you can determine the pace of the race from the PP,s by adding back beaten lengths, but then what?
One more question, How far below or above the pace of the race (or the par)of the paceline being looked at before it shouldn't b e seriously considered? Bris does give the PARs for the race at hand...wouldn't it be nice if they gave pars for each paceline or are they hidden and I just don't know where to look or how to calculate them?
Thanks,
Grahors

andicap
12-22-2004, 11:14 AM
Collect enough PPs and you can manually get all the pars I suppose. That's the only way I know of.

I've never had a ton of faith in the BRIS pars to begin with.

The software program I use computes a race shape for me that I find useful.

Buddha
12-22-2004, 01:51 PM
I just use something like what Andicap says. I don't have any pars, but after looking at enough races, you can get the gist of what a 10k claimer at a given track should run, or the nw1 at that track, etc. If most of them are in the 80s and you see one at 100, you know that it was fast paced. I use CJs numbers, so you can also compare the pace of the race against the final number to see if it was fast for the race, like a 80-70 pace shape has teh pace +10 of the race fig and therefore, generally a faster paced race.

Doug
12-22-2004, 05:02 PM
Check out HTR. Very interesting pars. Also designates fast, average, slow pace/final time

Doug

andicap
12-22-2004, 05:05 PM
HTR is the software I was referring to.

Also check out CJ's figures at www.pacefigures.com and read all the commentary at the site. You can get pace shapes/race shapes there.