PDA

View Full Version : Top Jock and Trainer 'salaries'??

sq764
12-19-2004, 12:36 PM
After all is said and done with agents, and incidentals, what do the top jockeys and trainers make in a year??

If Bailey wins $20M in purses, after everything is taken out (excluding taxes), what's he bring home out of that?

What about a guy like Scott Lake?

Always curious if these guys pulled in bigtime $$ or whether there are a lot of expenses that the 'public' doesn't know about..

CryingForTheHorses
12-19-2004, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by sq764
After all is said and done with agents, and incidentals, what do the top jockeys and trainers make in a year??

If Bailey wins $20M in purses, after everything is taken out (excluding taxes), what's he bring home out of that?

Always curious if these guys pulled in bigtime $$ or whether there are a lot of expenses that the 'public' doesn't know about..

Yes there is a lot of expenses, Like the workmans comp issue, Ill bet he (Lake) pays at least 200k a year!..Dont forget feeding,Having to pay help plus bonus from wins.Dont forget he has tack bills etc, Lots of the money goes ou as fast as it comes in,A huge stable is counting on these wins as the majority of the money goes to the upkeep of the stable!

sq764
12-19-2004, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by McSchell_Racing
Yes there is a lot of expenses, Like the workmans comp issue, Ill bet he (Lake) pays at least 200k a year!..Dont forget feeding,Having to pay help plus bonus from wins.Dont forget he has tack bills etc, Lots of the money goes ou as fast as it comes in,A huge stable is counting on these wins as the majority of the money goes to the upkeep of the stable!

ok, with that all being said, what kind of scratch do you think Lake takes home at years end

Speed Figure
12-19-2004, 05:44 PM
I would think Bailey would bring in about a $1M, after taxes, agent. Lake should get about 200K or more.

CryingForTheHorses
12-19-2004, 07:29 PM
ok, with that all being said, what kind of scratch do you think Lake takes home at years end

I couldnt even imagine!,Im sure he has reported income and then some!,Im sure he himself doesnt really know what he makes as all the money coming and going, Im sure he isnt sleeping in a tack room!

Buddha
12-19-2004, 07:51 PM

Well you figure his mounts win $20M, he gets "roughly" and I say roughly because it is only a guestimate, but his rough share would be about 10% or $2M. Of that 2M, about 25% goes to his agent, or $500k, taking him to 1.5M His valet would get around 2-5% depending, so maybe another $40k.not sure of all the other "takeouts" of their income, but with that income, i am sure that uncle sam is going to try to take about 30-35%

sq764
12-19-2004, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by Buddha
Well you figure his mounts win $20M, he gets "roughly" and I say roughly because it is only a guestimate, but his rough share would be about 10% or $2M. Of that 2M, about 25% goes to his agent, or $500k, taking him to 1.5M His valet would get around 2-5% depending, so maybe another $40k.not sure of all the other "takeouts" of their income, but with that income, i am sure that uncle sam is going to try to take about 30-35%

I have seen him helicopter into Delaware Park for the Del Oaks and Del Handicap, so I can't imagine his travel expenses are very high.. Probably all paid for..

Buddha
12-19-2004, 09:05 PM
I have seen him helicopter into Delaware Park for the Del Oaks and Del Handicap, so I can't imagine his travel expenses are very high.. Probably all paid for..

Yea, I assume many of the owners pay for a lot of the travel expenses of the jockeys when they ship to ride a horse.

toetoe
12-19-2004, 09:06 PM
i agree, it's mucho dinero, but nothing like other bigtime jocks get. i'm pretty sure they love what they do, but some can't DO anything else.

mjdevita
12-21-2004, 07:18 PM

The REAL question show be how much do the lower 95% of the jocks make and how do they survive.

JustRalph
12-22-2004, 04:18 AM
Originally posted by mjdevita
The REAL question show be how much do the lower 95% of the jocks make and how do they survive.

Some of the jocks at Beulah park have restaurant jobs at night.........I know that for a fact............

Valuist
12-22-2004, 12:31 PM
I would be shocked if Lake only took home $200K a year. Let's not forget, the top trainers charge higher day fees as well.