PDA

View Full Version : New Member

jackvdo
12-18-2004, 04:17 PM
Just like to intoduce myself. I have been reading the posts on this message thread for about a year and a half and have enjoyed most of them.

I am a software developer by profession (Visual FoxPro) so am of course a database handicapper. I have been building my own system for the last 4 1/2 years with the goal of having a completely automated (both handicapping and wagering) system that of course hopefully is profitable.

I have been slightly profitable this year and have done really well the last four months so I think I might be able to add something to the discussion here at this point.

I look forward to discussing my passion with all of you.

kingfin66
12-18-2004, 04:47 PM
"Just like to intoduce myself. I have been reading the posts on this message thread for about a year and a half and have enjoyed most of them."

A hearty WELCOME!

"I look forward to discussing my passion with all of you."

I look forward to it as well. Your program sounds very interesting. My dream is to have an autotote system where you can place a limit bet based on odds and time to post. For example, many players like to wager on horses at 5-1 or higher. Some also have an upper odds limit. What if an autotote system could be programmed to take your wager only if your odds were within the range specified at post time. Of course, the way the late money pours in, you would still be likely to have your horse hammered down.

I would love to hear more about your database and program as far as what factors you look at, how large the db is, etc., etc.

keenang
12-18-2004, 06:45 PM
JACKVDO:

WELCOME ABOARD!

GENE

stuball
12-18-2004, 07:47 PM
Want to say hi......I don't think there are very many of us around that use FoxPro.....I have a 3 YO database.....at 1 time I had a 5 YO database of all Kentucky tracks...but have expanded to all tracks that run in the US.....

I have been looking for someone with your background to help me with problems I have learning certain things in Foxpro

I am self taught in Foxpro so I am really not very proficient.
(As I am sure you are)....Would be really interested in what you are doing...if you want to correspond please e-mail me...

Stuball

John
12-18-2004, 09:04 PM
Welcome Jackvdo

So far you have heard from the nice guys. The other side will be come along soon.

jackvdo
12-18-2004, 11:26 PM
Thanks everyone for your welcome.

To kingfin66 - "Your program sounds very interesting. My dream is to have an autotote system where you can place a limit bet based on odds and time to post. For example, many players like to wager on horses at 5-1 or higher. Some also have an upper odds limit. What if an autotote system could be programmed to take your wager only if your odds were within the range specified at post time. Of course, the way the late money pours in, you would still be likely to have your horse hammered down."

I actually have part of what you are talking about. I download toteboard information for BRIS's SuperTote real time and at three minutes to post go through my models which includes minimum and sometimes maximum odds. The part that is missing is actually placing the wager automatically. Right now my system gives me an audio cue (bugler's call to post), which means I can only play when I'm home and unfortunately I have this annoying thing called a job. I have had some success automating HTML based web sites but the ones that I would prefer to play because of security, reputation, etc. are Java applet based and I have no Java experience. It looks like I am going to have to hire someone to help me with this.

As far as late money goes, this is true but since I have the odds from 3 MTP, 5MTP, etc. in my database, when I build my models I build them on the odds at 3MTP, not the final odds and after that I think everything kinds of evens out in the long run.

shanta
12-18-2004, 11:31 PM
Welcome Jack,
Happy holidays to you and yours also :)

Richie

Observer
12-19-2004, 10:28 PM
Welcome!!
:D

John
12-20-2004, 02:24 PM
Jackvdo

So far you have heard from the nice guys. The other side will be come along soon.
__________________________________________________ __

PA has e-mailed asking me to explain "the other side"...........

Well, there are a lot of DRF paper Handicappers on this board,like Tom, myself and Andicap to name a few. I am sure some will want to know how your software matches up to their old fashion handicapping.

I have no idea what [ Visual FoxPro ] is and how its used. Am I interested,Yes. So I will have to stay tuned to this link.

John

mjdevita
12-22-2004, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by jackvdo
Just like to intoduce myself. I have been reading the posts on this message thread for about a year and a half and have enjoyed most of them. I look forward to discussing my passion with all of you.

Welcome!!!!....At least you had a better start than I in this place.....

Have a GREAT DAY!!!

Mike

John
12-22-2004, 07:55 PM
Wecome MIke, First time I saw your name.

I would your thoughts on NYRA cleaning their house.

mjdevita
12-22-2004, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by John
Wecome MIke, First time I saw your name.

I would your thoughts on NYRA cleaning their house.

Hi John,

My initial post caused a ruckus in this forum back in September I had to go to the mattresses for a while until the heat cooled....

The NYRA....the fish stinks from the head....many more things in this sport need to be gutted and cleaned for the sport to start to go into the other direction and grow....

However, I strongly and firmly believe there is only a handful of bad apples that give the fans a perception that most are no good!
That includes a handful of management, trainers, jocks and owners....but of course like any other profession there is a wall of silence....(see NYPD or any other police Department) Most people in all professions are hard working good people but the stigma of being a rat keeps the good quiet....while the bad have their way!!

Now that's my perception!!

Have a GREAT DAY!!!!

Mike

John
12-22-2004, 08:51 PM
Mike,

Thanks for your thoughts. I have been playing Ny tracks for the past 25 years now and if NYRA can't keep it clean nobody can.

Mike, SUFF[ Mike ] started a link about NYRA dirty laundry. The link is "My money and where I bet it." I going to copy your link to me and post it there. I would like for some of the members to read it.
if that is o.k. with you.

mjdevita
12-22-2004, 11:38 PM
Originally posted by John
Mike,

Thanks for your thoughts. I have been playing Ny tracks for the past 25 years now and if NYRA can't keep it clean nobody can.

Mike, SUFF[ Mike ] started a link about NYRA dirty laundry. The link is "My money and where I bet it." I going to copy your link to me and post it there. I would like for some of the members to read it.
if that is o.k. with you.

No Problem!!

RXB
12-23-2004, 12:23 AM
Originally posted by mjdevita

The NYRA....the fish stinks from the head....many more things in this sport need to be gutted and cleaned for the sport to start to go into the other direction and grow....

Now that's the truth. Unfortunately, the slots subsidies that are all the rage will just paper over many of the problems (or even worsen them).

"Randy, the shit pool is getting full. We better drain it before it causes a shit slide that could cover this entire community. I will not have a Pompeii catastrophe happening in Sunnyvale."

mjdevita
12-23-2004, 12:41 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by RXB
[B]Now that's the truth. Unfortunately, the slots subsidies that are all the rage will just paper over many of the problems (or even worsen them).

The slot money should raise purses to a level where horsemen can make a profit and owners have a decent shot at breaking even or turning a profit when racing in overnights.

Then the industry must take a hard stand against anyone who brings negative publicity to the sport, be it management, trainers, jocks or owners.

Throw those bad apples off the grounds and bar them for life...what business in their right mind would keep an employee or in racing's case a business associate that would tarnish the reputation of business......ONLY IN SPORTS!! See steriods in baseball, see boxing in basketball, etc.

Note: Kerick just left Guliani....bad publicity...no good ...good-bye...In horse racing, one track will get rid of a trainer or jock and somewhere else they are greeted with open arms. It is scary.

Now again, I am sure 98% of the trainers, jocks, owners are legit and but that 2% or so give everyone a bad name!! Is that fair NO...but there is no way you can fault the betting fan for their perception!!

Hey, horse racing can't get to comfortable with the slot money if the politicios see the money it not helping and NOT going to a good cause...they can just vote to take the horsemen's share and put it anywhere they want!!

Wake up racing before all days will be dark days!!!!

Have a GREAT DAY!!

Mike

RXB
12-23-2004, 10:54 AM
Right on, Mike.

The one thing I would add is that it would be nice for punters to see a bit of the slots money-- in the form of reduced takeout. But this, of course, hasn't happened and probably won't ever happen since most racing jurisdictions treat their customers like crap. (At Fort Erie, the jerks actually increased the takeout after getting slots.)

If the owners and especially the trainers and jockeys are getting fat from slots subsidies, it only seems fair that the bettors-- 95% of whom lose money year after year-- should get some kind of break. But of course, with the slots fuelling the purses more than the betting handle does, the punters will probably be treated more contempibly than ever before.

And the industry wonders why it can't attract new fans to racing.

mjdevita
12-23-2004, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by RXB
Right on, Mike.

The one thing I would add is that it would be nice for punters to see a bit of the slots money-- in the form of reduced takeout.....

....And the industry wonders why it can't attract new fans to racing.

It really comes down to the politics of it all.....Management has the best lobbyists to get the most from the politicians....Do you really believe 100% of race track operators wanted slots to save racing....heck no....they see the real money the slots bring in versus the handle of the track.

But to get slot approval they use the cry "to save horse racing" when in reality what do most of the tracks really do to save horse racing...Nothing at the least.....very little at the most....

The horsemen have their associations which also can lobby and have a bit of power.....but who does the person in the stands that places his hard earned money down have to represent them... NO ONE!!!

HORSE PLAYERS UNITE!!

Have a GREAT DAY!!!!

Mike