PDA

View Full Version : Two of my favorite claimers...

Observer
03-28-2002, 10:40 PM
will be out on the battle field Saturday. Thankfully, they will not be facing each other! ;)

On the east coast, Arromanches will be looking to rebound after a disappointing start in which his 10 race win streak came to a screeching halt first off the Wendel claim. Following that poor effort, his owner transferred the veteran back to former trainer Lake, who drops him a notch from his last start. Regular rider CC Lopez will be aboard once again in race 4 at Aqueduct Saturday.

On the west coast, the amazing turf sprinter Is It True Mex looks to stay on the winning track in race 4 at Golden Gate Saturday. Though this now six-year-old had been competitive in his starts prior to the switch to turf, he has found a new home on the lawn, winning six of his past seven starts. His lone loss on the grass was a runner-up finish when beaten a head. This win machine gets a bump up the claiming ladder after getting back in the win column last out and is a thrill to watch, even if he is a claimer, just like Arromanches!!

cj
03-29-2002, 04:07 PM
Lets set up a match race at 5.5f on the grass at say, AP. Who wins?

CJ

Observer
03-29-2002, 04:22 PM
Hey, no fair CJ!! While Arromanches is a sprinter, he has only had one race on turf in his entire career. He's now 9, and has been to the post 70 times. For the record, his record stands at 70-28-13-8, with earnings of $727,955. And this son of Relaunch has not been gelded.

I say, since Is It True Mex has proven successful on dirt, cut the distance to a more suitable 5 furlongs for him, but switch it to the dirt .. here in NY, so I can see them both finish in a dead heat. :D

Just to be fair, the record of Is It True Mex stands at 35-9-8-3 with earnings of $154,315. This 6yo has also not been gelded.

cj
03-29-2002, 04:28 PM
I guess that would be a little more fair...although it would have to be a neutral track...perhaps FL, Del, or maybe Penn! Just playing around. Last match race I remember was two claimers who won a bunch of races one year a few back. Can't remember the name of one, but the other was Maybe Jack who is still running at GP now, NY during the summer...miler. Anyone remember? He was a Suffolk horse at the time! (and he won the 6f race, wire to wire)

CJ

thirtyMTP
03-29-2002, 08:40 PM
Was the match race you are referring to to determine which horse would end the year with the most victories?

I can't speal to Is It True Mex, but I have my Form in front of me and am looking at Arromanches' race right now. Looks like Western Beau is the one to beat. Of course, with Arromanches, it's all a guessing game. Has he officially tailed off? Or was it an isolated incident that he ran so bad?

I think he'll run better, but I have to think Western Beau has the form and gets the trip. It will be interesting to see how the board reads.

cj
03-29-2002, 08:46 PM
Yes, I believe it was to see who would have the most wins for the year, but I wouldn't bet my first born it!

CJ

thirtyMTP
03-29-2002, 08:48 PM
In that case, I remember the race, but couldn't tell you any details about it whatsoever!

Observer
03-29-2002, 09:09 PM
Regarding Arromanches tomorrow ..

for Lake, it will be a win-win situation and for Wendel it will be a lose-lose situation.

If Arromanches loses, it will be said that Wendel messed him up that badly, and not Lake's fault.

If Arromanches wins, it will be said Lake is the magician he is and Wendel really did not do right by the horse, causing him to go off the winning track after 10 straight.

cj
03-29-2002, 09:13 PM
Unfortunately, for Wendel I guess, he probably did screw up the horse. You don't hang up that kind of o-fer if you know what you are doing!

CJ

Observer
03-29-2002, 09:20 PM
I know. Arromanches certainly did not look like himself for that last start. Looked like he had lost weight and just seemed real dull in the paddock, then for sure when the gates popped open and he was out a few steps slow ... totally not like him. He hardly reached contention and threw in the towel before the real running got started. And that was absolutely not like him .. this horse had shown more fire and determination in races leading to that event than classier runners do at higher levels.

cj
03-30-2002, 02:59 PM
Arromanches wins at $5.70 for a deuce!

Observer
03-30-2002, 04:47 PM
So glad to see the ol' gray veteran back in the winner's circle! He definitely looked so much better in the paddock today. In contrast to that last race, he was actually leading his groom around, rather than his groom dragging him. He still looked a bit on the thin side compared to how I remember him during the 10-race win streak, but today was a good day. He was sharp breaking from the gate, battled from the inside, braced for any challenges turning home, then kept digging to the wire to withstand the late surge from Wester Beau, who had won his prior three starts. The best part, was how Arromanches galloped back. This horse had such an alert, happy expression on his face, and he carried himself proud. Some say horses don't know, but this one sure did know he done good today! :D

Next up .. Is It True Mex .. what a day this could be!

thirtyMTP
03-31-2002, 03:05 AM
Did anyone notice that Gary Contessa went over and gave Arromanches a little pat after the race? You often see the 3rd place trainer go over and pat the winning horse. But that's what makes this horse such a great story.

Regarding the race, I think Little Rich's erratic running may have cost Western Beau the race. Bridgmohan decided to dart inside rather than outside, presumably concerned about being carried out by Little Rich.

Observer, how did your other horse do?

Observer
03-31-2002, 04:01 AM
Talk about being carried out .. Is It True Mex must have been carried out 30 wide turning home .. no way he was going to win a 4.5 furlong race with a journey like that. He made a nice run through the lane, and came up a respectable fourth, beaten just over 2 lengths as he stepped up to tougher company.

The winner, My Friend Lumpy could be the newest addition onto my favorite claimers list. This five-year-old won his fourth straight race today, and has raised his record to 9 wins from 17 starts, finishing off the board just 4 times in his career. The extra special part about today, though, was that he tried turf for the first time. Think of the options!

My Friend Lumpy has been claimed in each of his past three starts, including today, and four of his past five. Tonight, he went home to the barn of John Martin, trainer of Is It True Mex!

On a funny note, in today's race, Lumpkins was not riding My Friend Lumpy, he was on Is It True Mex. :D

And by the way 30MTP, I did see Contessa give Arromanches that pat on the head. I don't think I've ever seen losing connections that happy after a race.

cj
06-30-2002, 08:30 PM
Observer,

Hope you were around today to catch Is It True Mex lighting up the Hollywood Park tote to the tune of $83.40, almost ridiculous considering how many career wins this horse has, and it was only a $50k claimer!

CJ

Observer
07-06-2002, 01:39 AM
No CJ, I didn't get to catch little Mexy Melt this time! What a shame .. and what a price!

This 6yo's turf record now stands at 13-8-2-1 $95,225.