PDA

View Full Version : Meadowlands

melman
12-18-2004, 08:44 AM
Tonight Dec 18 is the last night of the fall meet, they will reopen on Jan 7. For tonight only 1st post is 8:30 late start due to the football game at the complex. When they start up again in Jan they will again offer the free harness survivor game. Same rules and prizes as with the t-bred game they just ran. Easy to sign up at there web page of thebigm.com. Now if they could only get John Bothe back with his "zooming on by" tag line.

sq764
12-18-2004, 08:51 AM
Originally posted by melman
Tonight Dec 18 is the last night of the fall meet, they will reopen on Jan 7. For tonight only 1st post is 8:30 late start due to the football game at the complex. When they start up again in Jan they will again offer the free harness survivor game. Same rules and prizes as with the t-bred game they just ran. Easy to sign up at there web page of thebigm.com. Now if they could only get John Bothe back with his "zooming on by" tag line.

You aint kidding Melman.. When I hear that Sam Mckee is calling on a particular night, I turn the sound to mute.. He's freaking horrible...

melman
12-18-2004, 09:10 AM
Sam does a good job with the program they put on but when he starts with the race calling the problems begin. Like you I am not a fan of the team of Sam and Dave. Hey wasn't that an old time rock group? LOL Just give me Frank up at Woodbine harness all the time what a great announcer.

sq764
12-18-2004, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by melman
Sam does a good job with the program they put on but when he starts with the race calling the problems begin. Like you I am not a fan of the team of Sam and Dave. Hey wasn't that an old time rock group? LOL Just give me Frank up at Woodbine harness all the time what a great announcer.

I always had hope that Larry Lederman would be the voice of the Meadowlands.. Me thinks they found him a little unprofessional at times..

I think he's entertaining, and even if he's inappropriate here and there, I will take accurate, entertaining and inappropriate over dull and innacurate any day.

melman
01-03-2005, 11:46 AM
Just a reminder for any one interested in signing up for the FREE Meadowlands harness survivor game. Can sign up any time until Jan7 the start of the meet.

trying2win
01-04-2005, 12:38 AM
I think SQ might be onto something, regarding the use of raw fractions in handicapping The Meadowlands harness races.

I remember many years ago when Steve Wolson of Power Line fame, had a system for the harness races using raw fractions. As I recall, a lot of his examples for his system were for The Meadowlands. If I remember correctly, Steve had examples using the format from Sports Eye. In this publication, they had The Big M harness race results listed in fractional times for each of the four quarters, plus the final time. I don't know if Steve still sells this particular system, but it seemed fairly logical at the time.

I've tried back testing on some old Big M data files from last year using ASH software. Haven't been able to find any long-term consistent patterns yet, using this software so far. I've hit a few longshots using Al Stanley's angles at the Big M over the last few years. Still, I get this feeling that there must be some better strategies out there in tackling the Big M harness races. I've found the Big M sure is tougher to figure out than the Woodbine/Mohawk circuit or Balmoral Park.

Would be interested in hearing other harness players thoughts, concerning handicapping the Big M.

Thanks,

T2W

sq764
01-04-2005, 09:28 AM
I find it very profitable to key in on the top raw last half fractions in a race.. If I remember, I will post the raw fractions for the Friday Meadowlands card on Thurs night here... Although I will likely play 1-2 races this early in the meet, they can point out some potential overlays..

Exactaman can shed some light on the fractions as well..

trying2win
01-04-2005, 02:35 PM
SQ,

Thanks for the info. I'll have to watch those late fractions at the Big M a bit closer.

I remember a few years ago, before the departure of Luc Oullette and, John Campbell was injured, a lot of closers were winning at the Big M. The "Meadowlands shuffle" made it interesting to watch.

I still miss the entertaining, Big M race calls of announcer John Bothe. He sure put a lot of enthusiasm and pizzazz in his announcing. Some of the annoucers they have now at The Meadowlands, sure are dull and boring to listen to.

T2W

Zman179
01-04-2005, 08:02 PM
I still miss the entertaining, Big M race calls of announcer John Bothe. He sure put a lot of enthusiasm and pizzazz in his announcing. Some of the annoucers they have now at The Meadowlands, sure are dull and boring to listen to.

You'd be surprised how many people would say the opposite.
I was a big fan of Warkentin's and McKee's styles, but now they're old hat. I've come to learn that Bothe's style of calling was better than it appeared to be. No bigtime pizazz or anything like that, just a plain ol' "here's your horse and where it's located" type of call. Sometimes, but not all the time, plainer is better. But let's face it, you've gotta miss the ol' "zooooooooooming by" calls.

You can still hear Bothe call races when Batavia Downs re-opens in August.

sq764
01-04-2005, 08:52 PM
I do miss John Bothe.. I remember him calling Red Bow Tie 'zooooooooooooooming' by to win the Presidential Final... Miss that announcer and miss that horse..

Exactaman
01-05-2005, 10:58 PM
Exactaman can shed some light on the fractions as well..

As of now I cannot shed any light on anything at M1, having been truly atrocious there last year. With the rising purses I am looking forward to giving it another shot though. I will tell you one thing, I intend to pay a lot closer attention to 1/2 and 3/4 pace then i did previously.