PDA

View Full Version : stay away from penn national

acorn54
12-18-2004, 02:37 AM
thought i'd try my hand at penn national as i have the nights off now when mnr is dark
well they havppen to fl ash the win pool around two minutes before post and i could not believe how little money was in the win pool on the horses i wanted to bet.
the horse was 8-1 and the totlal money bet on him in the win pool two minutes to post was $101!!!
how does that track stay in business and where are all the horse bettors?
acorn

kenwoodallpromos
12-18-2004, 03:53 AM
Track Attendance: 1977 Handle $75,710
Off Track Wagering Attendance: Handle $40,593
ITW = intra-state wagering Attendance: Handle $118,223
ISW = inter-state wagering Attendance: Handle $938,975
_______
This is at the bottom of the Results Charts on Equibase.
What is that, $38 per person bet on track?
Maybe they do well out of state after the other tracks close.
31% takeout for tri and superfectas!

sq764
12-18-2004, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by acorn54
thought i'd try my hand at penn national as i have the nights off now when mnr is dark
well they havppen to fl ash the win pool around two minutes before post and i could not believe how little money was in the win pool on the horses i wanted to bet.
the horse was 8-1 and the totlal money bet on him in the win pool two minutes to post was $101!!!
how does that track stay in business and where are all the horse bettors?
acorn

Penn is relatively in line with the other night tracks, it's not ridiculously out of whack:

Penn - $938K handle (avg $93,800 per race)
Charlestown - $1.3M handle (avg $108,000 per race)
Delta - $1.4M ($140,000 per race)
Sam Houston - $1.7M ($170,000 per race)

timtam
12-18-2004, 09:36 AM
Penn National did have some problems with jockeys,trainers, and stewards fixing races over the past few years. A couple reputable
jockeys moved their tack out of Penn Nat. Probably that doesn't matter to people from the off tracks who wager but alot of people around the Grantville area won't bet the races run there. Maybe in due time it will change for the locals but Penn National has some catching up to do.

sq764
12-18-2004, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by timtam
Penn National did have some problems with jockeys,trainers, and stewards fixing races over the past few years. A couple reputable
jockeys moved their tack out of Penn Nat. Probably that doesn't matter to people from the off tracks who wager but alot of people around the Grantville area won't bet the races run there. Maybe in due time it will change for the locals but Penn National has some catching up to do.

I thought I remember a few years back they had a jockey murdered over a fixed (or botched fixed) race... It may have been mid 90's..

Tom
12-18-2004, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by sq764
I thought I remember a few years back they had a jockey murdered over a fixed (or botched fixed) race... It may have been mid 90's..

You mean the jockey was "stiffed?":rolleyes:

breakage
12-18-2004, 02:49 PM
The attendance figures at Penn National have always been inflated. They never claim less than 1,000 people were there even when you know it's 2 or 3 hundred. Even if you count all of their OTB's as part of their attendance figures I still don't think it would amount to the numbers they post. I think what they do is count anyone that drives by the place as part of the attendance figure. :)

breakage
12-18-2004, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by kenwoodallpromos
31% takeout for tri and superfectas! [/B] You can avoid their horrendous takeouts by betting a minimum of $150,000 a year (green card) or $250,000 a year (gold card) on Penn races or races they simulcast and you will get 5% back on any wagers placed on Penn's races, either on-track or through Ebet.

breakage
12-18-2004, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by breakage
You can avoid their horrendous takeouts by betting a minimum of $150,000 a year (green card) or $250,000 a year (gold card) on Penn races or races they simulcast and you will get 5% back on any wagers placed on Penn's races, either on-track or through Ebet. And Ken, I forgot to add earlier that a 5% rebate on Penn races would give you an effective 12% takeout on show betting which I guess you might have allready figured out and are signing up with Ebet as I write this.;)

kenwoodallpromos
12-19-2004, 12:56 AM
Thank you.