PDA

View Full Version : windows ME

andicap
03-28-2002, 10:15 PM
Anyone know a real good utility that can help with Windows ME snags. I've got a weird problem in Word with the "normal" template, some memory problems. (freezes when I know there's enough memory) etc.
Not sure Norton Utilities deals with this stuff as it's not a hard drive problem, but a Win ME deal.

Tim
03-29-2002, 12:11 AM
Andy,

When your system freezes, try bringing up the task manager to see what program is not responding. Pressing alt-ctl-del should start the task manager.(assuming your keyboard isn't frozen)

If you can, the best thing you can do is upgrade to Windows XP Professional. If you can't, then try to either rebuild your machine ( yes I know thats an ugly answer but Windows Me deteriorates over time.) or download and apply any and all Windows Me and Microsoft Office service packs and updates.

As far as your word problem, find and delete any files on your computer named "normal.dot". The next time you start Word it will create a new normal template with MS Office default settings. If that doesn't solve your problem reinstall Office.(or MS Works if that's what your running)

Tim

Dick Schmidt
03-29-2002, 12:37 AM
Andy,

I don't run ME (dumped it within weeks of getting a new computer) but I have since been told that there are several sites on the net that offer free "tune-ups" for ME that make it almost stable. The one piece of advice that I remember is to turn off the restore feature, as it causes most of the faults. Good luck.

Dick

Tom
03-29-2002, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by andicap
Anyone know a real good utility that can help with Windows ME snags.

Yeah, Widows 98 SE
~G~

Tom

Bruddah
03-29-2002, 10:41 AM
Interesting thread to me, because I thought, I was the only one with Windows ME problems. Occasionally,When I get "booted" off the net, my whole system locks up. I have to restart the computer to get it unlocked. Anyone else experience this with Windows ME?

I think, I will follow your advise and junk this platform. It has been nothing but an unstable piece of crap, since I bought this computer.

andicap
03-29-2002, 12:25 PM
I will upgrade to Win XP (for the home, not professional -- or should I get professional?) , but since quality is job 1.1 at Microsoft..I thought I'd wait a few months for them to get the obvious bugs out. That make sense?

Bruddah
03-29-2002, 12:43 PM
Andicap, that's the same thing I have been waiting for. I decided to see if Win XE had many problems. I hope some of the more informed and computer literate on this board, will bring us up to date. Seems, I am always behind the learning curve one way or another. LOL! My question also, which should be installed, Home or professional? and why?

so.cal.fan
04-03-2002, 05:29 PM
Bruddah,
You know me, I am anything but computer literate, but I just got on line today, with cable, and a newer PC. I have the Windows XP, and it seems to be working fine.
If anyone can screw it up, it will be DS, so I'll keep you posted.:confused:

Bruddah
04-03-2002, 07:10 PM
Thanks DS. I look forward to your posts on any subject. Like E F Hutton concerning stocks, I will listen to you on horse racing. Especially, So. California racing.

Who do you like for the SA Derby?

so.cal.fan
04-03-2002, 10:34 PM
Came Home looked good schooling today, Bruddah.
Windows XP is working very well for me, so far.
My computer builder says ME is the worst windows program.
Of course, I have been working on an iMac for the past few years, and this is an improvment.
I just watched the Santa Anita replays on MediaPlayer.
Not bad.

JustRalph
04-04-2002, 01:40 AM
Don't use Xp Pro unless you are on a network of more than ten computers or use a domain server on the network. If you want the real technical skinny go here:

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_home_pro.asp

I run a Tech Support Phone Center:

Try this link for info on all Windows/Microsoft products:
www.microsoft.com/support

The knowledge base searches are your best source of info. Also by going to www.google.com and typing in your error messages or problems you can many times hit on a Microsoft Knowledge base article that cuts the crap out of the Microsoft search engine.

You can also go to www.deja.com and search newsgroups for info and other users with similiar problems. FYI

Bruddah
04-04-2002, 02:59 AM
Thanks Ralph for the information. I will upgrade to XP home. I don't think there is any hope doe Windows ME. It was a piece of junk from the start.

I am assuming from your Equisimm posts that this program is compatible with XP Home? By the way, those were nice hits at Gulf Stream.