PDA

View Full Version : knew it was just a matter of time

TOOZ
12-16-2004, 02:05 PM
With a little better luck and/or a more experienced rider, Afleet Alex very well could have ended 2004 as an unbeaten lock for 2-year-old champion.

The colt with the Philadelphia connections is already at Oaklawn Park in Hot Springs, Ark., gearing up for a campaign to get him ready for the 2005 Kentucky Derby. And when he makes his first start of the new year, Afleet Alex will have a new rider. John Velazquez will replace Jeremy Rose.

This confirms in my mind that Rose gave the horse two bad rides in a row, and that Johnny V knew that Proud Accolade wasn't the best horse in the Champagne.

Bobby
12-16-2004, 02:10 PM
Oaklawn should have a pretty good 3 yr old group if Afleet Alex is going to be there. I know servis is taking rockport harbor there. Your right, a better ride and a little luck AA would unbeaten

TOOZ
12-16-2004, 02:18 PM
Here is the whole article:

http://www.philly.com/mld/dailynews/sports/10428220.htm

sq764
12-17-2004, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by TOOZ
With a little better luck and/or a more experienced rider, Afleet Alex very well could have ended 2004 as an unbeaten lock for 2-year-old champion.

The colt with the Philadelphia connections is already at Oaklawn Park in Hot Springs, Ark., gearing up for a campaign to get him ready for the 2005 Kentucky Derby. And when he makes his first start of the new year, Afleet Alex will have a new rider. John Velazquez will replace Jeremy Rose.

This confirms in my mind that Rose gave the horse two bad rides in a row, and that Johnny V knew that Proud Accolade wasn't the best horse in the Champagne.

Rose is still learning.. I watched him ride here at Delaware Park for a while and he's definitely a talent.. Not near Ramon Dominguez yet, but getting there...

but I guess if Servis stuck with Elliot, he'll stick with Rose..

toetoe
12-17-2004, 11:20 PM
maybe ritchie is too wet behind the ears. bring on d. wayne.

sq764
12-18-2004, 08:30 AM
Originally posted by TOOZ

Well, I think we know the answer to this one now.. I see John Valesquez has been named the new rider on Afleet Alex from here on out..

melman
12-18-2004, 08:55 AM
I think people are a little confused here. Afleet Alex is not trained or "out of" Philadelphia Park in any way. He is a Delaware Park based horse not connected to John Servis or Stewart Elliott. The "hot" 2 yr old for Mr Servis and Elliott is Rockport Harbor and that one is Philly Park based.