PDA

View Full Version : CT quits early again

takeout
12-15-2004, 04:30 PM
Equibase has the excuse listed for the cancellation of races 6-thru-12 last night as "Jockeys refusals to ride". So what else is new? Don't know if it was the cold or unsafe track conditions. I'll be curious to find out which. In light of first CT's and now Lrl's track rebuild situations, (or should I say debacles) I'm beginning to wonder if anyone knows how to build a winter racetrack anymore. Or, is it just the jocks?

breakage
12-15-2004, 05:45 PM
I don't think the jocks want to ride in bad weather anymore. It doesn't matter what excuse they use because these days at places like Mountaineer and Charlestown they're making plenty of slots money during nicer days that they can just blow off these uncomfortable days/nights now. Just another benefit of slots. I wonder when the horseplayers will begin to benefit from slots. I guess I won't hold my breath on that one.

takeout
12-16-2004, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by breakage
I don't think the jocks want to ride in bad weather anymore.
I think you’re right. Must have been a little too windy for them, or something. The little darlings rode all 12 the next night so I guess that’s all it was.

Doesn’t this type of thing (quitting in the middle of a card) cost the owners a lot of dough? I mean with ship-ins, lasix and all like that? I’m surprised that a lot of the owners would ride these guys anymore. Maybe some of them don’t.

breakage
12-17-2004, 02:03 AM
I think the owners will get over their disappointment as soon as they win their next slot inflated purse with their nw2life $4000 claimer. Remember, everyone involved in racing benefits from slots except horseplayers. The owners will accept this inconveniece when it happens and it will happen more and more in the winter. The reason the jockeys give for not wanting to ride will be meaningless, if they even give a reason.

takeout
12-17-2004, 04:30 AM
Originally posted by breakage
I think the owners will get over their disappointment as soon as they win their next slot inflated purse with their nw2life $4000 claimer. Remember, everyone involved in racing benefits from slots except horseplayers.
How true.

The only thing players will ever get out of it is free parking and admission and they take that right back in overpriced programs and raised concession prices. All of those new slot millions coming in and takeout and breakage remain as high as ever.

I see your point about owners probably not being mad for too long. At a place like Charles Town the purse of the race is now often higher than what’s in the win pool. The track doesn't care about low handle because all of the money is coming from the slots now. Wait until they get them at the big tracks. Their horse-playing customers will be about as useless to them then as, well, you can fill in your own expression.

jotb
12-17-2004, 06:17 AM
Originally posted by takeout
I think you’re right. Must have been a little too windy for them, or something. The little darlings rode all 12 the next night so I guess that’s all it was.

Doesn’t this type of thing (quitting in the middle of a card) cost the owners a lot of dough? I mean with ship-ins, lasix and all like that? I’m surprised that a lot of the owners would ride these guys anymore. Maybe some of them don’t.

Hello Takeout:

You are too harsh on these riders. It had absolutely nothing to do with the wind that night. The maintaince crew never put salt on that surface which in turn caused havoc for the riders. Did you ever get hit with paint balls? That's exactly what the riders felt during each race.

Best regards,
Joe

takeout
12-17-2004, 07:19 AM
jotb,

Thank you for the explanation. Why do you suppose the salt wasn’t put down?