PDA

View Full Version : Report: Pedro agrees to terms with Mets

ceejay
12-13-2004, 05:21 PM
http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2004/12/13/mets_reportedly_sweeten_offer_to_pedro/

I'll believe this when I see the press conference.Indications this afternoon were that the Mets had added a guaranteed fourth year to their offer to Martinez, and, according to the Boston Herald, he has reportedly agreed on terms to a four-year contract to join New York. WBZ radio reported the deal was worth $50 million, while the Boston Herald reported it was $56 million.

According to Herald sources, Red Sox officials were still awaiting official word this afternoon that Martinez had accepted the offer to New York.

At the Anaheim Marriott, where baseball’s winter meetings are taking place, Mets general manager Omar Minaya would not confirm nor deny reports his team had agreed with Martinez, or if they had even offered him a fourth year. He told the Boston Globe's Gordon Edes he would not comment on negotiations.

Bubbles
12-13-2004, 05:39 PM
I can see his stats now:

11-13, with a 1.80 ERA.

;)

blind squirrel
12-13-2004, 06:41 PM
at least he'll be close to his "DADDY".

IRISHLADSTABLE
12-13-2004, 06:47 PM
http://newyork.mets.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/nym/news/nym_news.jsp?ymd=20041213&content_id=922000&vkey=news_nym&fext=.jsp

sq764
12-13-2004, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by Bubbles
I can see his stats now:

11-13, with a 1.80 ERA.

;)

Wait till he loses 3 straight games after giving up 2 runs per.. He'll quit for several starts.. He did it on a world series team, can't imagine how he'll not do it on a horrible team.

Zaf
12-13-2004, 08:48 PM
I just hope he's not done :eek:

ZAFONIC

sq764
12-13-2004, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by zafonic
I just hope he's not done :eek:

ZAFONIC

Not done, but definitely on the tail end of his career.. Still one of the better pitchers in the league.. Not worth $9-10 million a year, IMO

Zaf
12-13-2004, 09:10 PM
It worries me. The Mets always seem to get these guys when they are on the verge of breaking down. SQ , you are right he is still a darn good pitcher. I guess it can't get much worse for the Mets.

ZAFONIC

Bubbles
12-13-2004, 09:11 PM
^^^DON'T SAY THAT!!!!!!

;)

nomadpat
12-13-2004, 09:25 PM
All that matters is that he didn't go the Yankees! ;)

sq764
12-13-2004, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by nomadpat
All that matters is that he didn't go the Yankees! ;)

I wish he did, they thrive on overpaid pitchers who are tailing off..

He has heart though, he would fit on the Yankees..

ceejay
12-14-2004, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by sq764
Wait till he loses 3 straight games after giving up 2 runs per.. He'll quit for several starts.. He did it on a world series team, can't imagine how he'll not do it on a horrible team.

Although the may turn out to be one, I think that it's a little early to call the Mets a horrible team. They have a new general and field manager and are still building a team that hasn't stepped on the field.

sq764
12-14-2004, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by ceejay
Although the may turn out to be one, I think that it's a little early to call the Mets a horrible team. They have a new general and field manager and are still building a team that hasn't stepped on the field.

Unfortunately, they have become one of those chronic loser teams.. They are the equivalent of the LA Clippers or The Bears... They can show signs of life, but at game 100, they are so far out it's already a rebuilding year..

I think trading Kazimir was a massively stupid thing to do..

ceejay
12-14-2004, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by sq764
Unfortunately, they have become one of those chronic loser teams.. They are the equivalent of the LA Clippers or The Bears... They can show signs of life, but at game 100, they are so far out it's already a rebuilding year..

I think trading Kazimir was a massively stupid thing to do..

Unfortunately, calling a team that won the pennant just 4 years ago a chronic loser is patently absurd, and for me colors all your statements. For example, you compare the Mets to the Clippers, a team that has only had 3 NBA playoff appearences (none since 1997) and never won a playoff series something like 20 years in in LA.

I agree about Kazimir BTW.

As I said above I won't believe the Pedro deal until he passes the physical I see the press conference, and I'm not saying that he will make the Mets dethrone the mighty Red Sox dynasty....

sq764
12-14-2004, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by ceejay
Unfortunately, calling a team that won the pennant just 4 years ago a chronic loser is patently absurd, and for me colors all your statements. For example, you compare the Mets to the Clippers, a team that has only had 3 NBA playoff appearences (none since 1997) and never won a playoff series something like 20 years in in LA.

I agree about Kazimir BTW.

As I said above I won't believe the Pedro deal until he passes the physical I see the press conference, and I'm not saying that he will make the Mets dethrone the mighty Red Sox dynasty....

Since 1989, the LA Clippers have made the playoffs 3 times, the Mets - 2...

Yeah, absolutely no comparison there.. Talk about a patently absurd observation.. pot meet kettle.

Bubbles
12-14-2004, 02:51 PM
Absurd? Makes no difference how many you make if you can't win one. The Clippers haven't, to my knowledge, and the Mets have gotten to the NLCS and the World Series.

It IS absurd, just the other way around.

Dan Montilion
12-14-2004, 07:01 PM
Will the Mets also receive Pedro's Midget or is there a Mideget to be named later?

Dan Montilion