PDA

View Full Version : More economic news

ljb
12-13-2004, 07:02 AM
By ANNE D'INNOCENZIO, AP Business Writer

NEW YORK - With less than two weeks of shopping left until Christmas, the nation's malls and stores stepped up discounts over the weekend, but business appeared to be mixed, according to analysts.

Wal-Mart Stores Inc. -- which became more aggressive on pricing after a disappointing start to the holiday shopping season -- continues to struggle. The Bentonville, Ark.-based retailer said on Saturday that for the week ended Friday, sales of winter merchandise were below expectations, and its general merchandise business was not as strong as food sales. However, the world's largest discounter is still sticking to its December sales forecast.

Meanwhile, business at luxury stores continued to be robust, with designer handbags, jewelry and items like $1,200 massage chairs being snapped up by well-heeled shoppers.

Karen MacDonald, a spokeswoman at mall operator Taubman Centers Inc., said business on Saturday at luxury chains was up in the high single-digit to double-digit percentages from a year ago. For the rest of the merchants, sales were even with last year or rose a modest single-digit percentage from a year ago.

"Retailers are all revved up, all ready to go, and the consumers are just taking their sweet time, walking around, checking out items, but not buying," said Marshal Cohen, senior industry analyst at NPD Group Inc., a market research company based in Port Washington, N.Y. He checked out malls in New Jersey, Pennsylvania, and Connecticut over the weekend, and noted that traffic was disappointing.

He added, "For the luxury market, it feels like Christmas, but to everybody else -- the midlevel and lower-end customer -- it is not going to be a great Christmas."

Well-heeled shoppers are feeling fine about the economy, and have money to spend. Everyone else, not so much. If Bush's upper-class tax cuts are ever going to stimulate the economy, those shoppers need to start buying $1,200 massage chairs for everyone they meet.

You guys get your chairs yet ?

wes
12-13-2004, 09:27 AM
NO! could not pick it up your ass was in it!

wes

ljb
12-13-2004, 12:05 PM
Wes,
Just checked with salesman, They have one left in stock large enough to fit your ass. You better hurry!

kenwoodallpromos
12-13-2004, 04:09 PM
Hundreds of reservists and members of the National Guard employed by Wal-Mart have been called to active duty this year and the company continues their benefits, provides assistance to their families and makes up the difference between their military pay and Wal-Mart wages

wes
12-13-2004, 04:23 PM
ljb

I will purchase my chair from Wal-Mart.

wes

delayjf
12-13-2004, 05:04 PM
LBJ,

Keep in mind, to get a tax cut one has to pay taxes. I'll bet the employees at the yaht factory are happy.

Tom
12-13-2004, 06:25 PM
People tend to get back aches from carrying the blue states thorughout the year. Working people spend money as they see fit. You have a problem with that?
Please explain.....it makes no sense to me. But then again, your ramblings seldom do.