PDA

View Full Version : Beyer on uncoupling

karlskorner
03-28-2002, 09:25 AM
www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/sports/columns/beyerandrew

A couple of sentances intrigued me:

"If a trainer had an odds-on favorite and a 5-2 shot in the same race he could 'ARRANGE' for the favorite to lose in order to cash a bet on the longer-priced horse"

"When a trainer has two potentially dominant hores in a field of six, opportunities for larceny rise"

The word "arrange" gives cause to wonder

Karl

ranchwest
03-28-2002, 10:49 AM
If someone is willing to arrange an outcome alone, would they not be nearly as likely to do so in collusion? This is not a suggestion, but a real question.

karlskorner
03-28-2002, 10:58 AM
Ranchwest

As Beyer said: If you had 2 dominant horses in a field of six and one was odds-on and the other 5-2, which would your "arrange" to have win ?

Karl

ranchwest
03-28-2002, 11:05 AM
Karl,

I understand. Beyer is suggesting that this can only happen when the trainer trains both horses. If the trainer wants to arrange the outcome, is it not also likely that he could do so with the assistance of another stable?

charleslanger
03-29-2002, 03:48 AM
karl, i like that semi-intentional misspelling

Whitehos
03-29-2002, 06:08 PM
I don't know whether Steve Assmussen and Scott Lake bet. But if they have uncoupled entries I know enough to bet the longer priice. It works enough times to return a profit.
Whitehos

so.cal.fan
03-31-2002, 09:06 AM
Whitehos:

What is the connection between Assmussen and Lake?
Being a So. Cal. fan, I don't know much about them, except that they
"seem" to be very "high" percentage trainers?;)

Whitehos
03-31-2002, 09:49 AM
No connection except as you state they are high % trainers. When their entries are uncoupled the higher odds horse tends to beat the lower odds horse.
A lot of people don't bet their own horses. I for one. My horse ran last night and paid $15. I got the purse. With me its superstition.

so.cal.fan
03-31-2002, 10:01 PM
Oh, okay, I didn't understand your post.
I thought you meant, if they each run a horse in the same race.
This is not so unusual in California. Some folks really do have connections.
Brothers, brother-in-law. Husband and wife, etc.
I never liked to bet when I owned a horse, either.
The purse is enough of a prize. It just adds stress.
It is much more fun, to smile and laugh in the winner's circle and say" damn, I WISH I'da bet it!!!!!