PDA

View Full Version : Asian Medical Science Initiatives

Equineer
12-11-2004, 12:15 AM
A proffered factoid from Lou Dobb's CNN interview with the editor of Discover Magazine about its Year In Science issue...

Eighty percent of all generic prescription drugs are already made in China, which has the stated objective of soon becoming the world's leading pharmacology developer and producer.

Meanwhile, South Korea is seriously committed to becoming the world leader in biochemical research and development.

The governments of these two countries are obviously determined to be on the economic and scientific fast-track while our politicians haggle along partisan lines, serve special-interest masters, and worry about how the electorate will poll on any issue, including those that few voters really comprehend.

sq764
12-11-2004, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by Equineer
A proffered factoid from Lou Dobb's CNN interview with the editor of Discover Magazine about its Year In Science issue...

Eighty percent of all generic prescription drugs are already made in China, which has the stated objective of soon becoming the world's leading pharmacology developer and producer.

Meanwhile, South Korea is seriously committed to becoming the world leader in biochemical research and development.

The governments of these two countries are obviously determined to be on the economic and scientific fast-track while our politicians haggle along partisan lines, serve special-interest masters, and worry about how the electorate will poll on any issue, including those that few voters really comprehend.

You forgot to include what you are doing to encourage our government to pursue this technology as China and South Korea has done.. Will wait for the plan..

Equineer
12-11-2004, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by sq764
You forgot to include what you are doing to encourage our government to pursue this technology as China and South Korea has done.. Will wait for the plan.. I routinely gather data, analysis, and opinions about important issues in my info organizer/database.

About once a month, but sometimes more often, I review an issue and create a policy argument or complaint which I print and mail to my Senator and Congressman.

I believe snailmail is always taken more seriously than email, and like resumes, one hard-hitting page will get the most attention. You can offer to provide more details after you get someone's attention, as might be the case for a complex issue, or if you were blowing the whistle on a violation of federal law. Also, you want to come across as the type of activist who will persistently access and try to influence plenty of other constituents.

My most recent letters implored my representatives to demand proof that the administration has a detailed exit plan and timetable objectives with respect to Iraq, so that Congress can hold Bush to the task and make him accountable. Before that, I wrote in support of reforming Social Security via a three-part plan, known as the Personal Security System (PSS), which has been endorsed by numerous economists.

sq764
12-11-2004, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by Equineer
I routinely gather data, analysis, and opinions about important issues in my info organizer/database.

About once a month, but sometimes more often, I review an issue and create a policy argument or complaint which I print and mail to my Senator and Congressman.

I believe snailmail is always taken more seriously than email, and like resumes, one hard-hitting page will get the most attention. You can offer to provide more details after you get someone's attention, as might be the case for a complex issue, or if you were blowing the whistle on a violation of federal law. Also, you want to come across as the type of activist who will persistently access and try to influence plenty of other constituents.

My most recent letters implored my representatives to demand proof that the administration has a detailed exit plan and timetable objectives with respect to Iraq, so that Congress can hold Bush to the task and make him accountable. Before that, I wrote in support of reforming Social Security via a three-part plan, known as the Personal Security System (PSS), which has been endorsed by numerous economists.

Can you share this letter with the group?

Tom
12-11-2004, 11:27 PM
Election's over...nobody gives a rat's ass what the people think for a while. A one page letter may garner attentioin, but a $50 bill stapled on a postcard trumps that. These are professiinal criminals/extortionists we are talking about here, bought and paid for officials. You don't get attention unless you top the price.

Equineer
12-12-2004, 02:23 AM
Tom,

In some states, both parties spent $25+ per vote garnered, so it doesn't take much local social/political/civic/business clout to match the impact of a $50 contribution (providing it wasn't a direct cash donation into a candidate's pocket, in which case a multiplier effect can be anticipated. :)).