PDA

View Full Version : RANDY GILES

bobbyb
12-09-2004, 11:25 AM
Hi Guys

I may be late in posting this (if someone has - my apologies. I was away thru most of November) -

Sometime back their was a discussion of Randy's old site.........

He can be found @ www.paceappraiser.com

bobbyb:)

cj
12-09-2004, 11:56 AM
He used to have a nice site with lots of info, this is nothing but a sales pitch.

I honestly thought he had died! Glad that wasn't true.

cj
12-09-2004, 12:33 PM
Looks like he has done a nice job on the program, just wish there was some more info available.

It appears it is not available yet either, and no price is listed.

Doug
12-09-2004, 08:50 PM
The two websites posted in the above posts seem to be for 2 different products. ?????????

Thanks,

Doug

keilan
12-10-2004, 12:48 AM
The two websites posted in the above posts seem to be for 2 different products. ?????????

331 posts here -- I think you'll figure this out by morning :D

Doug
12-10-2004, 11:57 AM
I haven't been posting on this board for a while and I see things have not changed much.

Still the same old smart ass mf ers. Kielian aren't you one of those jerks from Canada.

Doug

Zaf
12-10-2004, 12:00 PM
Doug,

One of the posts is for www.pacefigures.com which is CJ's site. If you are looking for excellent pace & speed figures its worth a look. I have been using the program for over a year now with excellent results !

ZAFONIC

Doug
12-10-2004, 12:11 PM
ZAFONIC,

Thanks a bunch.

Doug

keilan
12-10-2004, 12:13 PM
Doug's 2nd post since returning (another classic)

Still the same old smart ass mf ers. Kielian aren't you one of those jerks from Canada.

Yes I am :D

Just see to it that you keep your sorry ass Stateside.

cj
12-10-2004, 12:20 PM
Doug,

That is just the tag line at the bottom of all my posts. I was interested in the thread because I used to visit Randy Giles' site all the time when it was active.

He sort of vanished for a long time, and now seems to have modernized his ideas into a program. I'll be interested to see if it is any good, sorry if it caused confusion.

I don't think keilan meant any harm, he's a nice guy, promise!

rangiles
12-10-2004, 06:41 PM
bobbyb.

Thank you. I'm alive and well and following the races. I love it. I often say it's the greatest thing that ever happened to me. Really. When I had my old site I was constantly amazed at the insights I received via email and the desire to win at a very difficult game. That's good.

I'm not going to do a sale pitch. But, I've been busy developing software that's about everything I know about pace handicapping. So there.

Now. If anyone is interested I have upload my old site to this address:

www.paceappraiser.com/old/index.html

Extreme Pace handicapping is still there and all the rest. It works. I know. This is the same stuff I used when I palyed the races full time.

The question I hear mostly is this: Why don't you still play full time, scooter? The answer? I lost my nerve. That simple. I believe that no matter how perfect the information source is it still comes down to psychology.

Anyway. Nice to hear from you bobbyb....and this is a great forum for the most under played factor in handicapping....pace.

Zaf
12-10-2004, 06:56 PM
Welcome to the board Randy !!! I was a big fan of your old site.

ZAFONIC

rangiles
12-10-2004, 07:10 PM
Thank you......... I'm here to learn. One thing I learned a long time ago was keep your head to the ground because someone is going to ring a bell and insights are going to flow. That means money :-)

Tom
12-10-2004, 11:06 PM
Welcome Randy! I, too, am a bog fan of your work. Great stuff, and I use your ideas too - the optimal pace model idea is really cool. Glad to see you here-look ing forward to some good discussions.

cj
12-11-2004, 06:21 AM
Randy,

What type of input will this program use? That is, what type of files, DRF, BRIS, TSN?

bobbyb
12-11-2004, 09:05 AM
Randy

I read your post and agree with you; with regards to how perfect the information is or may be, it all boils down to the psychology of the player.

Thank you for being so candid.

bobbyb

rangiles
12-11-2004, 12:34 PM
The program generates a pace velocity rating and a pace figure from an algorithm of my own. You can adjust DRF, Bris/TSN and ITS Data. Everything is based on neutralizing the inverse relationship of pace and final time.

It designed to be used in full-dress handicapping, manually – as labor intensive as that is. Plus, you can do quick spot checks on speed figure integrity.

I know this a forum on handicapping and so I apologize if that sounded like a commercial. If anyone would like to discuss my software at greater length please email me at randy@paceappraiser.com That way we won’t intrude on folks who don’t particularly care for commercials :-)

I’m looking forward to following along here and will try to add something to the mix.

Randy

cj
12-11-2004, 12:43 PM
Hey Randy,

I do something similar with my figures. I adjust the speed figure for pace, weight, and early position in the field...i.e I horse lagging in the back doesn't have the pace rating factored in nearly as much as a horse near the front. I also credit a horse leading a 10 horse field more than a 5 horse field.

On another note, you must be using your "par" for the pace times to adjust the final time. That is, I seem to remember you tracked percentage of the final time it took to complete the pace time as a sort of par. I do this, but use the winner's pace time, not the leader's pace time.

Any thoughts on these ideas?

rangiles
12-11-2004, 12:55 PM
bobbyb,

When I was doing a lot of research and heading off to play that research, I always thought it was funny – well, not too funny - how on paper things turned out better than in real-time. I checked and the plays at the track were the same profiles and models I had researched and played on paper from stacks of racing forms. I modeled everything on Futures day-trading and so I got into the habit of playing anything new on paper first. I had to admit I had a mental problem with pulling the trigger when I knew I should. Fear! All of us have a voice in our head that tries to mess with us when we’re under stress. I gave mine a name – Uncle Bob. So anyway, I had to confront Uncle Bob. I think he won, though. :rolleyes:

Good information is important but addressing the old noggin is more, I believe.

r

rangiles
12-11-2004, 01:27 PM
cj,

Yeah, a pace figure doesn’t mean much if a horse is off the pace more than 5 lengths, I think. I deal with those kinds of horses with Pace Pictures and if the pressure is going to be high up front or not. As you know, a race is won or lost by what happens up front.

Now, I believe that the inverse relationship between pace and final time is hugely important. Every final time has its par pace time. If a pace of a race was fast 5, I want to know. I want to who had an opportunity and didn’t take advantage of it, relative to running style. William Quirin touched on this idea with his pace shapes, which tells you if a horse with disadvantaged by a shape e.g. a closer coming out of a race that was slow-fast or the other way ‘round, our closer didn’t take advantage of a fast-slow shape. It’s not the closer’s pace figure that helps here, that’s for sure. The pace velocity rating I use paints the picture for me, I think.

So, any well thought out approach that has been researched and verified is good stuff.

r

andicap
12-12-2004, 03:02 AM
Glad to see you hear Randy.

I used to post to your old site and enjoyed all of your articles.
Glad to see you're up and running again. Look forward to checking out your software.

kenwoodallpromos
12-12-2004, 03:30 AM
I got to read a lot and post a little on your old site also. I remember you and other posters always had interseting things to say about pace.
Now I consider track speed and bias as the most important starting point in picking horses. But of course anticipated pace as part of what I consider the horses' running styles has a great influence on how a horse handles the track.
I study a lot of varied aspects of racing to use just a small portion of that and it works for me!
I will check out your new site.

Partsnut
12-13-2004, 02:13 PM
Hi,
Randy is alive and kicking.

To get a better insight on his proposed software
you should visit his sight.

The full concept and the proposed cost of the software are listed.

I am reasonably certain that what he proposes
will be a lot more effective and a lot less expensive
then most of the ineffective software and pace figures being offered. If the shoe fits then wear it.

The proof is in the pudding. ;)

You can download his instructions manual
http://www.paceappraiser.com

cj
12-13-2004, 02:30 PM
As I stated earlier, I was a big fan of Randy's and really enjoyed his work.

That said, I'm not sure you are going to find a big market out there for manual input software. I could be wrong, but everything this program does could have been accomplished via importing of files.

The price certainly seems reasonable.

PaceAdvantage
12-15-2004, 10:27 AM
Please keep the unauthorized advertising to a minimum.

I will refer you guys to this thread:

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&postid=142289&highlight=advertising#post142289

cj
12-15-2004, 10:30 AM
Its getting kind of tough to talk about any products here as the makers keep jumping in :D

PaceAdvantage
12-15-2004, 10:54 AM
Authors are encouraged to stop by and answer questions. But Partsnut's last post (and it was his 1st lifetime post I believe) sounds a lot like a sales pitch to me.....

I have absolutely no problem with authors stopping by to answer questions about their products. They can even provide a link back to their site, as Mr. Giles did.

There is a fine line involved here, and I hope nobody takes it personally when I step in with my gentle reminders.....

rangiles
12-15-2004, 11:20 AM
All,

I agree with the moderator. Forums are for discussing handicapping procedures, insights, and the rest and not commercials. I promise not to advertise here. I’d rather talk about the ins and outs of the game. Besides, marketing sucks. :D

What I do commercially is a separate issue from this discussion board.

Randy

delayjf
12-15-2004, 03:05 PM
Randy,

Heard so much about your site but alias I had to look at it through a archive address which was slow as hell and not very accomedating, might you post your old research articles on your new site??

rangiles
12-15-2004, 03:16 PM
delayjf,

I uploaded my old site again and linked it through my new site.

Here's the link - and thanks.

www.paceappraiser.com/old/index.html

Randy

Dan Montilion
12-15-2004, 04:22 PM
Randy,

Have you made allowances for AQU main and inner tracks?

Dan Montilion

rangiles
12-15-2004, 06:35 PM
Dan,

The finished version will have an AQUI track selection option. When the data was compiled the inner track data was not included because of the apparent redundancy. That will be corrected. So yes.

Randy

Dave Schwartz
12-15-2004, 09:40 PM
Randy,

Thought you'd like to know that I tried to send you an email from your articles page and it was rejected:

<articles@randygiles.com>: host randygiles.com[67.19.98.98] said:
550-64-42-66-98.atgi.net (mail.horsestreet.com) [64.42.66.98] is currently
not 550-permitted to relay through this server. Perhaps you have not logged
into 550-the pop/imap server in the last 30 minutes or do not have SMTP 550
Authentication turned on in your email client. (in reply to RCPT TO
command)

What I was trying to tell you was:

Randy,

I am working on a new "video newsletter" for my users. A couple of the articles might be very interesting to you.

As I was perusing your website the other day (I am still reading; interesting reading, very well done) I ran across your pace scenario stuff and decided to study the race shapes in our next video.

For example, the first video discusses the race with a single "E" (i.e. 1 x 7-8 pt horse) and the "EEEE" (i.e. 4 x 7-8). There were some surprsing conclusions.

Anyway, if you'll send along a mailing address I'll send you a complimentary video set. (Note: these are video files that play on your computer.)

Happy holidays.

Dave Schwartz
http://www.horsestreet.com/

rangiles
12-16-2004, 06:28 AM
Dave,

Sorry about that. I uploaded those pages without correcting the email links. I think I'm going to move the articles I wrote over to what's become my main site now.

I'm very interested in your newsletter.

Randy

andicap
12-16-2004, 11:30 AM
Randy,

If you have turf tracks on your list it is also a common error to link the inner and Widener turf tracks at Belmont and the inner and outer turf courses at Saratoga.

rangiles
12-16-2004, 11:42 AM
andicap,

Yes, you're right. I don't list turf racing right now, only dirt. You have to be careful with the different tracks within tracks, for sure.

Randy

Dave Schwartz
12-16-2004, 12:02 PM
Randy,

Please send me your mailing address.

DaveSchwartz@HorseStreet.Com

Dave

Figman
12-16-2004, 12:19 PM
Gulfstream Park will be very different this year with brand new dirt & turf courses involving a complete new build not just a resurfacing.

And there will be new distances raced.
For example, new will be one mile main track races around one turn like AP, Aqu & Bel.

There will be no more 1 1/16 mile races on the main track.

rangiles
12-16-2004, 12:31 PM
Yep. A different Gulfstream all around.

More work. More updates. :)

Randy

Tom
01-08-2005, 08:52 PM
The link to the old website is no longer working.

Partsnut
01-09-2005, 09:38 AM
For those of you that wish to read some very insightful material
written by :"Randy Giles" you can access his articles at the following link.

http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://randygiles.com

In my opinion, his articles are probably some of the best stuff written.

Tom
01-09-2005, 09:58 PM
I tried that site to look for the OLD PA board. I fond it, but none of the actual posts are sill there. Drat. This place was hoppin the first year or so it was up and running. Just seeing some of the old names brought back memories.

Zaf
01-09-2005, 11:12 PM
Has anyone here ever experimented with his methods eg. Optimal Pace Model / Super Sprinter ?

ZAFONIC

Shacopate
01-10-2005, 02:24 AM
Mr. Giles,

Congrats on your grandchildren, I'm sure you're very proud.

I just spent about an hour (maybe more, because the time flew by) reading your articles. I am a pen and paper capper with an approach similar to yours.
Just not quite as good, sophisticated, or advanced --- take your pick.

Thank you sir, for your advice on how to swim in the "deep end" of the pool.

Thomason
01-10-2005, 07:18 PM
Randy is a good friend of a good friend (aka Lyle) and one of the hardest working guys you'll ever meet. A couple of years ago, he told me that he knew his brain was fried and it was time to get out when he placed a sizable wager, walked into the men's room at the track and kept flushing the toilet so he couldn't hear the call.

Randy, I hope you don't mind me telling it, but damn, that's a good story! I'm glad you've put your old stuff back on line. It's a rich vein of ore. I'm sure the new stuff will be every bit as good.

Suff
01-10-2005, 08:02 PM
A couple of years ago, he told me that he knew his brain was fried and it was time to get out when he placed a sizable wager, walked into the men's room at the track and kept flushing the toilet so he couldn't hear the call.

That's Deep Fried....

Tom
01-10-2005, 10:29 PM
Zafonic,
I use the optimum pace model in my everyday handicapping. Not always blindly to the letter of the law, but at least to the spirit. I find it puts me onto some horse that Iwouldn't otherwise really be that impressed with.
I reduce the field to 5 contenders, then use the ideas. It helps with interpreting the velocity ratings.

Zaf
01-10-2005, 10:33 PM
Tom,

Thanks for the response. Are you talking about HTR velocity ratings ?

ZAFONIC

rangiles
01-11-2005, 09:31 PM
I don't mind. There's more though. I stuck my fingers in my ears and went la la la la la. It's true. I'm not ashamed, damnit. After I got out of the Asylum I was fine. I still love horse racing. :)

Thanks,

Randy

Zaf
01-11-2005, 09:55 PM
Hey, we all need to take a break from it from time to time.

ZAFONIC

Maxspa
01-11-2005, 11:37 PM
Randy,
When I try to download the manual in either PDF or Word Doc, It indicates a wrong address? Any help will be appreciated.
Tom shared your work with me on the Optimal Pace Model and it proved quite valuable in select situations.
Glad you're back!
Maxspa

Tom
01-12-2005, 07:30 PM
Tom,

Thanks for the response. Are you talking about HTR velocity ratings ?

ZAFONIC

HTR, MPH, BRIS pace number rankings, I use it on everything.
I haven't tied it on CJ's figs yet, but I will certainly have at it to see what happens. His new late figs will let me do it now.