PDA

View Full Version : CIA article in Christian Science Monitor

highnote
12-07-2004, 11:12 PM
I found this story intriguing -- pardon the pun. It's always surprising to me when I read about some of the things involved with espionage. I'm probably very naive about what goes on, but I shouldn't be surprised. Yet, I am.

Anyway...

Two things from the article:

One -- a former operative suggests that one of the Hussein sons might have been able to have been bribed using "girls" and other devices.

The use of girls or prostitutes as a tool to extract information seems very unsavory to me. Maybe it's a necessary evil. I guess I wouldn't make a good spy. Mainly, because I could never put a girl into the kind of danger she would face with Hussein's sons -- especially if only 1/10th of what I've read about him are true.

Two -- the CIA manipulated bank accounts of one terrorist group electronically to make it look like the leaders were skimming off the top. The terrorist group then disbanded due to internal chaos.

What is kind of shocking about this, not too shocking, though, (again, pardon the pun) is that the CIA can manipulate bank accounts electronically. I'm glad they are able to do this to terrorists. But this is of concern to me because it makes me wonder how vulnerable my accounts are to manipulation. Hopefully no one will ever manipulate my accounts. But it's a reminder that it can be done and that one must be vigilant.

http://www.csmonitor.com/2004/1207/p03s01-usfp.html

ranchwest
12-07-2004, 11:39 PM
Vigilant? In what manner would being vigilant help you in protecting yourself from the CIA manipulating your bank accounts?

highnote
12-08-2004, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by ranchwest
Vigilant? In what manner would being vigilant help you in protecting yourself from the CIA manipulating your bank accounts?

First, I don't think the CIA would manipulate my account.

What I meant was that it's good practice to balance your accounts regularly and recognize all deductions and additions to the account. And it's probably a good practice to check your balances on your retirement accounts and other accounts, etc., on a regular basis.

I guess my point is that if the CIA can manipulate foreign accounts electronically, it's possible that it would be easy for a person or organization to manipulate your account or mine electronically, too. Maybe some organization like a eastern European mafia would be interested in gaining access to U.S. bank accounts electronically. I've read reports of them threatening to interupt services of internet companies if they don't pay them money.

All I was saying was that if something about your account looks fishy, you should check it out. Unless of course, you don't care. Then, don't worry about it.

Regards,
John

GameTheory
12-08-2004, 11:33 AM
The article says that they were only able to manipulate the accounts because they had a guy on the inside giving them financial details, presumably account numbers, access codes, etc. So it doesn't seem as if the CIA was just "hacking" into an account with no inside help...

highnote
12-08-2004, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by GameTheory
The article says that they were only able to manipulate the accounts because they had a guy on the inside giving them financial details, presumably account numbers, access codes, etc. So it doesn't seem as if the CIA was just "hacking" into an account with no inside help...

GT,
I re-read the article. It appears that you are correct.

I thought my interpretation was more "intriguing". The reality is more plausable -- but not the stuff of spy novels. :)

js

cryptic1
12-08-2004, 08:22 PM
In Canada, we have basically 6 big banks with branches
throughout the country. To cut down expenses (i.e. employees)
the banks set up national call centres where customers phone
with questions about their statements, transactions etc. You
no longer can phone your local branch. So, what's the problem?
Well the call centres are manned by paid employees who
have access by computer to every customer account across the
country. They have the ability to surf into accounts and obtain
PIN numbers, bank account records, credit card numbers, social
insurance numbers etc. There have been so many incidents of
insiders selling this info to others who routinely use the
information to clean out bank accounts. I've personally seen
two people who sold the info for a measly $100.00 per name
with total losses incurred of over $250,000. Frankly, vigilance
is needed when reviewing your bank records as this kind of
fraud is rampant. Of course the banks avoid publicising this
situation as they have too much money tied up in this system.

cryptic1