PDA

View Full Version : Scary situation

Valuist
12-06-2004, 09:40 PM
I turn on ABC to catch Monday Night Football and the game is pre-empted locally; I see the building where I work in downtown Chicago is on fire. The 29th floor is totally submerged; I work on the 39th floor. Thank God all my fellow workers had left by the time it started. One third of Chicago's fire fighters are fighting this thing. Hopefully this will be under control before it can spread to my floor. Hopefully I will have a job to go back to within a few days.

Steve 'StatMan'
12-06-2004, 09:44 PM
Wow Valuist, I'm watching it on TV too - used to work many years ago near the area. Glad to know you're OK and that your coworkers are out - still a lot to be concerned with, especially the firefighters.

Tom
12-06-2004, 09:50 PM
Good luck, Valuist..hope it turns out all right for you.
Glad you didn't work OT today!

betchatoo
12-06-2004, 09:52 PM
I've been watching the fire too. I'm also glad you made it home before the fire. I hope everyone gets out safely.

Valuist
12-06-2004, 11:19 PM
This isn't good. Its spread to the 30th floor it doesn't seem to be slowing down. Kind of reminds me of the Arlington fire in 1985. They thought they had it under control, then poof, the next level is totally ablaze.

Tom- you're right. Thank God for not working OT.

Steve 'StatMan'
12-06-2004, 11:38 PM
Ack, I just heard a news anchor overexagerate another reporters evaluation, and say this might be the worst fire distaster in Chicago history. I guess the Great Chicago Fire that wiped out virtually the whole city in the 1800's must have slipped her mind.

Still, this isn't good. So much heat, finally has ignited the 30th floor above. Dang. :(

For those in the financial field, it's LaSalle Bank's Corporate Headquarters. Their branches etc. will still be open, but this building (135 S. LaSalle) will be closed. Their Chief Economist and some very important Financial and Trust business and activities occur on these floors. I'm sure the bank is fine, but this will be a tough operational challenge for them.

Valuist
12-06-2004, 11:41 PM
It just hit the Yahoo news:

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20041207/ap_on_re_us/high_rise_fire

Equineer
12-07-2004, 04:01 AM
Smoke in such high-rise fires really takes a toll on firefighters. At least no fatalities have been reported from what I've heard.

=====

Since I wash dishes at the Caffe Baci... looks like I better call in the morning to see if I should go to work. :eek:

headhawg
12-07-2004, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by Steve'StatMan'BTW
Ack, I just heard a news anchor overexagerate another reporters evaluation, and say this might be the worst fire distaster in Chicago history. I guess the Great Chicago Fire that wiped out virtually the whole city in the 1800's must have slipped her mind.

I work a couple of blocks away on Jackson. When I got home around 10:45 my wife was watching the report on the CBS affiliate. It was Diann Burns who made that "observation." My wife and I looked at each other and said, "What about the Great Chicago Fire?"

I hate moron news anchors.

Glad to hear that there were no fatalities.

Valuist
12-07-2004, 11:41 AM
A free day off. I suspect it will be extremely dirty whenever we go back.

Headhawg- do you ever go to the OTB over on Jackson?

headhawg
12-07-2004, 11:58 AM
Valuist,

Funny thing. I am a M$ trainer. The company I work for has two locations -- and there is an OTB across the street from both!! I have not been to either OTB, but have often been tempted.

Sounds like you may go there, yes?

HH

Valuist
12-07-2004, 02:25 PM
I sometimes go there at lunch to get away from the office. But like all track guys, once I get in to the OTB, its really difficult getting motivated to go back to work.

headhawg
12-07-2004, 02:42 PM
I know what you mean about getting motivated again. That's why I've resisted the temptation.

I noticed that there are a lot of Chicagoland handicappers that participate here. Maybe some day we can have a track outing.

Tom
12-07-2004, 09:52 PM
CNN interviewed a woman who was rescued from the 39th floor this morning. Valuist...did you catch that? Was wondering if you knew her.

Steve 'StatMan'
12-07-2004, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by headhawg
I know what you mean about getting motivated again. That's why I've resisted the temptation.

I noticed that there are a lot of Chicagoland handicappers that participate here. Maybe some day we can have a track outing.

It'd be great to meet up at the track sometime!

Valuist
12-07-2004, 10:50 PM
Steve-

Were you the guy named Steve up in the Haw Handicapping Center for the NTRA tourney earlier in the year?

Steve 'StatMan'
12-07-2004, 11:14 PM
Probably! Steve Walker was there in the spring too, but wasn't able to make it at the one we just finished. Since you've probably seen pictures of Steve Walker (about 5'8, blond hair), and you're not thinking it was him, it most likely was me. I'm quite large (6'3" and rather large) and have dark/graying hair and glasses and a lap-top computer, often chatting with Scott or Wendy privately, or with them and/or others in the Center, usually sharing a laugh, or observations. I always sit up in the Handicapping Center along the right-hand wall where the internet connections are. This past tournament (Thanksgiving Weekend) I was in the back of the center at a separate table (again, for internet access). That area around the 3rd floor grandstand at HAW, and at AP, the far East end of the 3rd floor (under the International Room) are like my second homes.

(There is another tall Steve that has been up in the center as well, has blond hair, no glasses, can't agree with much of his handicapping 'advice', but hopefully he's learning).

I caught a post that seemed similar on Graded Races on Barn-To-Wire - are you by any chance JJP?

Love to meet sometime, at HAW or AP. How would I recognize you? I'm sure we've probably been there for several touraments, and other things, together.

Give a holler next time you're heading out to HAW or AP, I'll look for you. I'm planning on being there Sunday, but have plans to take a friend to the Gold Cup room for Brunch (a rare treat for both of us).

Equineer
12-07-2004, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by Tom
CNN interviewed a woman who was rescued from the 39th floor this morning. Valuist...did you catch that? Was wondering if you knew her. Tom, that lady was me! :D

====

Ahhh, hell... Kidding you guys is wearing me out. The moment has arrived for me to come clean!

I really do wash dishes at the Caffe Baci down the street from the La Salle Bank.

Actually, my wife and I are both Mexicans... we crossed the border after Bush's election in 2000.

She grooms for Frank Kirby, so I drop her off at the appropriate track stable gate, then I drive in to arrive at Caffe Baci by 6:00am since we open at 6:30am.

So far, America has been wonderful. We just got a great deal on a nice 2001 F-250 pickup from the "backside auto dealer" who operates out of a motel room on Cicero near Midway. We knew the pickup was in good condition because we checked with the trainer who "traded it in" on a brand new Ford F-350 Crew Cab. This dealer specializes in offering new and nearly new vehicles at unbeatable prices.

I would be surprised Valuist or Steve (or Steve's partner) haven't already heard about the "backside auto dealer."

Steve 'StatMan'
12-07-2004, 11:19 PM
Don't know about the backside auto dealer. I just learned that a friend of mine in the press box buys and sells used cars, though.

Steve 'StatMan'
12-07-2004, 11:22 PM
I don't know what made that poor frieghtend woman cry more - her scary experience in the burning building, or facing all those reports asking questions and sticking microphones in her face while she was obviously still quite traumatized. I felt sorry for her, that's for sure.

headhawg
12-08-2004, 12:06 AM
Originally posted by Steve'StatMan'BTW
It'd be great to meet up at the track sometime!

I'd actually like to do that, but with my wacky work schedule I'm probably not available when everyone else is, with me working weekends most of the time.

I used to love going to AP, but living in the far south 'burbs the OTB is so much more convenient.

Valuist
12-08-2004, 01:23 PM
Tom-

I know her a little bit. She's not with my company but a law office at the other end of the floor. Three of them were up there when the smoke hit. I think we've got some real damage. Nobody is still allowed into the building as the CPD is calling it a crime scene.

Steve-

I think I know who you are. You were at the back during the spring NTRA tourney with the laptop, correct? Gotta get together sometime. Are you closer to AP or Haw? I don't usually make it down to beautiful Stickney. Its about 45-60 minutes away.

Valuist
12-08-2004, 01:30 PM
That backside auto dealer wouldn't happen to go by the Painter would he? Or John Frank? Hopefully he'll stay off this forum and not ruin it like he did to the other one.

betchatoo
12-08-2004, 02:17 PM
Hey Steve, Valuist:

Can I come play with you guys at the horses? I'm about 15-20 minutes from Arlington.

Valuist
12-08-2004, 02:18 PM
We should get the local branch to meet out at Trackside.

betchatoo
12-08-2004, 02:27 PM
I'm always willing. Since I work ut of my home, indepenently, with a day or two notice I can meet almost any day, doesn't have to be a weekend.

Equineer
12-08-2004, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by Valuist
That backside auto dealer wouldn't happen to go by the Painter would he? Or John Frank? Hopefully he'll stay off this forum and not ruin it like he did to the other one. No, I was referring to an actual real-life Cicero "character" who probably never has been online but was a fixture on the scene at SPT and HAW for years.

Steve 'StatMan'
12-08-2004, 04:22 PM
I live about 1 mile from AP, but don't mind driving to HAW (esp. to be in the Center, and online) Fridays and Saturdays I'm often running late unless I plan and work ahead. Can get together at either track, or Trackside, or could even carpool to HAW sometime.