PDA

View Full Version : What's next for the BCS?

cj
12-06-2004, 04:27 PM
Each year, they try to backfit a system to "make it better" next year. This year, I think they finally have nothing to do except say the system sucks.

I completely understand that Auburn is screwed, but I feel even Utah and Boise St are victims. Why should these teams not even have a chance to play for the title? I know they play weaker schedules, but do you think a USC or an Oklahoma is going to agree to a home and home series with one of these smaller schools? No way in hell.

College football, as usual, screwed the little guy, but it also screwed the big guy this year. College football is, and will remain, a farce until there is a real playoff. Let them decide the title like every other sport known to man...on the damn field. :mad: :mad: :mad:

ps...I have no dog in this fight, Maryland stunk this year.

Valuist
12-06-2004, 04:36 PM
I hear that ABC is pulling out of the BCS. Not sure if its after this year or next year, but they, along with the major conferences, are the ones calling the shots. I know the contract with the BCS runs a few more years. It may not happen until 2009 or so but there will be a playoff. I suspect they will start with a 4 team playoff because they can only take baby steps. In most years, a 4 team playoff would probably produce a correct champion; but not this year. I'd love to see a 16 team playoff but that will be way down the road. The stupid university presidents don't realize that the money and interest will increase exponentially if they have a playoff.

ceejay
12-06-2004, 04:48 PM
But with a playoff we might miss out on such masterpiece games as the GMAC bowl! :rolleyes:

sq764
12-06-2004, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by cj
Each year, they try to backfit a system to "make it better" next year. This year, I think they finally have nothing to do except say the system sucks.

I completely understand that Auburn is screwed, but I feel even Utah and Boise St are victims. Why should these teams not even have a chance to play for the title? I know they play weaker schedules, but do you think a USC or an Oklahoma is going to agree to a home and home series with one of these smaller schools? No way in hell.

College football, as usual, screwed the little guy, but it also screwed the big guy this year. College football is, and will remain, a farce until there is a real playoff. Let them decide the title like every other sport known to man...on the damn field. :mad: :mad: :mad:

ps...I have no dog in this fight, Maryland stunk this year.

what about Cal?? They may have gotten screwed more than anyone, relatively speaking..

toetoe
12-09-2004, 10:55 AM
don't understand why my golden bears can't go to pasadena. okay, tweak with the rose bowl a bit, but at least let the 2nd place pacific-10 team go. my god they were the best in u.s. for a while there, arguably, and pushed the trojans up & down the field all day. they lost to u.s.c., & they have to live with it. but i hope they vote to refuse the invite to the don't-trip-potato-chip bowl, or whatever it is. won't happen; too much money for univ. @ stake.

Pace Cap'n
12-09-2004, 12:02 PM
Cal's coach is not too happy about it either. Wants to know which coaches dropped his team in the polls...

Can you believe secret ballots in a freakin' football poll?

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20041207/ap_on_sp_co_ne/fbc_cal_s_bcs_blues_2

cj
12-09-2004, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by toetoe
don't understand why my golden bears can't go to pasadena. okay, tweak with the rose bowl a bit, but at least let the 2nd place pacific-10 team go. my god they were the best in u.s. for a while there, arguably, and pushed the trojans up & down the field all day. they lost to u.s.c., & they have to live with it. but i hope they vote to refuse the invite to the don't-trip-potato-chip bowl, or whatever it is. won't happen; too much money for univ. @ stake.

Hey D,

What's a NY guy doing rooting for Cal? ;)

toetoe
12-09-2004, 04:15 PM
sorry if i led you to believe otherwise, cj, but i grew up in berkeley & now live in bakersfield (where the hell ?). maybe i'll move to las vegas. MUST be jobs there.