PDA

View Full Version : NFL - NFC and AFC Championship Games

sq764
12-06-2004, 08:58 AM
Knowing what we know now, is the 'chalky' bet that we will see:

New England vs Pittsburgh in the AFC Championship game

and

Philly vs Green Bay in the NFC

The only deviation I could see would possibly be Atlanta and Indy, but I think Atlanta is playing way over their heads.. And Indy just cannot get that far with that swiss cheese defense they have. Manning can only do so much.

Valuist
12-06-2004, 09:29 AM
Barring some cluster injuries, I don't see how Philly won't at least get to the Super Bowl. New England does some real injury problems in their secondary; I would not be surprised to see the Colts win the AFC. The rule changes have definitely worked to their advantage; they arguably outplayed NE in week 1 in Foxboro. The key to their defense is getting an early lead. Indy is terrible at tackling but tremendous at forcing turnovers. They are like a need the lead type horse. Put them on the lead and nobody will get them. However, if they fall behind, while their offense is capable of coming back, their D figures to have trouble in those situations when the opponent can run the ball.

Valuist
12-06-2004, 10:24 AM
And will somebody please clue in the announcers about parity; parity was taking place the past 5-8 years but clearly isn't happening this season. There's about 4 teams who are light years ahead of the others. We haven't seen that in a long time.

sq764
12-06-2004, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by Valuist
And will somebody please clue in the announcers about parity; parity was taking place the past 5-8 years but clearly isn't happening this season. There's about 4 teams who are light years ahead of the others. We haven't seen that in a long time.

You're right, there are the Eagles, Pats, Indy and Pitt and then everyone else.. They might as well skip the rest of the season

Valuist
12-06-2004, 01:24 PM
I haven't seen it like this in years. I think the sleeper team is the Jets. They've allowed less points than anyone, Pennington is back and Curtis Martin and Jordan make the running game solid. They're solid; but not spectacular. They matched up well against Indy in the playoffs two years ago. I was in a Champps in Indy while that game was on. It was like a morgue in there. Baltimore has a couple tough games still to play vs Indy and Pitt. Yesterday's loss to the Bengals really hurts their chances.

Right now, Philly looks like the best team, although I was a bit surprised to see McNabb, TO and Westbrook still in the game for portion of the 4th quarter.

sq764
12-06-2004, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by Valuist
I haven't seen it like this in years. I think the sleeper team is the Jets. They've allowed less points than anyone, Pennington is back and Curtis Martin and Jordan make the running game solid. They're solid; but not spectacular. They matched up well against Indy in the playoffs two years ago. I was in a Champps in Indy while that game was on. It was like a morgue in there. Baltimore has a couple tough games still to play vs Indy and Pitt. Yesterday's loss to the Bengals really hurts their chances.

Right now, Philly looks like the best team, although I was a bit surprised to see McNabb, TO and Westbrook still in the game for portion of the 4th quarter.

I think the sleeper team is Carolina.. Only 5-7, but playing well and 5-7 is very much in the mix in the nfc..

I was shocked to see Mcnabb, TO and West in that late.. Stupid move by Reid IMO..

Secretariat
12-06-2004, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by sq764
I think the sleeper team is Carolina.. Only 5-7, but playing well and 5-7 is very much in the mix in the nfc..

I was shocked to see Mcnabb, TO and West in that late.. Stupid move by Reid IMO..

As to sleeper teams at 5-7 I think Tampa Bay still has a shot, good defese still and the offense has dramatically improved since Johnson was sat down.

They play San Diego next week which will tell the tale. They finish up fairly light though against New Orleans, Carolina and Arizona.

Carolina also has a big game against Atlanta and plays St. Louis, Tampa Bay and New Orleans.

St. Louis has a tougher road playing the Eagles, Jets and Carolina, Arizona but they have a one game lead over CAR and TB.

The Giants, Lions and Bears at 5-7 would be a surprise. The Giants kind of fell compeltely apart losing their last five, and the Lions play the Vikes, Packers, Bears and Titans. The Bears play Jacksonville, Green Bay, Detroit and Houston.

Buckeye
12-06-2004, 07:02 PM
Eagles vs. somebody.

I'd say Indy.

But what do I know?

The Duce is loose!

toetoe
12-09-2004, 04:18 PM
pretty sure my forty-niners won't get there this year. they may be eased & humanely destroyed.

sq764
12-09-2004, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by toetoe
pretty sure my forty-niners won't get there this year. they may be eased & humanely destroyed.

i think they have the first draft pick wrapped up though :-)