PDA

View Full Version : Aqueduct Closed For The Holidays

IRISHLADSTABLE
12-05-2004, 07:46 AM
From NYRA Site

Holiday Season Closure

Aqueduct will be closed from Dec. 20-28 for the Holiday Season. Racing will resume on Wednesday, Dec. 29 with a first race post times are 12:30 p.m. EST.

Jimmy

:D :rolleyes: :D

Steve 'StatMan'
12-05-2004, 09:45 AM
Wow, your right. I didn't know about this. Was this planned all along, or just a recent change? Anybody know?

Figman
12-05-2004, 10:00 AM
Planned since December of 2003 when the 2004 NYRA dates were approved by their State regulator.

Steve 'StatMan'
12-05-2004, 10:54 AM
Thanks Figman!

BillW
12-05-2004, 11:59 AM
Sam Houston will be down for 2 weeks this year also (last 2 weeks in Dec.). I may have to ask for racing for Christmas this year :eek:

Steve 'StatMan'
12-05-2004, 12:41 PM
Not wanting to be unkind, but NYRA being closed during the Holiday week is a real great Holiday Present for Hawthorne and probably a number of small tracks. I know handle goes way up at HAW when NY isn't running, and I've seen it go way up elsewhere as well.

I'll still miss those AQU cards, but will find plenty to do that week.

So, on behalf of the horsemen & women and the smaller racetracks running during the holiday week, (and therefore the trickle down effect for those of us who still bet our local track), Thank You.

BillW
12-05-2004, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by Steve'StatMan'BTW
Not wanting to be unkind, but NYRA being closed during the Holiday week is a real great Holiday Present for Hawthorne and probably a number of small tracks. I know handle goes way up at HAW when NY isn't running, and I've seen it go way up elsewhere as well.

Hmmm, didn't think of that but that probably explains HOU closing down. They seem to be the only non-Stronach owned track in the nation suffering a meteoric drop in handle. It must be a strategy to cut costs on Brinks truck rentals. :rolleyes:

toetoe
12-05-2004, 09:07 PM
we may have to scramble for a replacement venue for the challenge for 2 or 3 days. consensus might be elusive.

Valuist
12-06-2004, 09:43 AM
I vote for the track in beautiful downtown Stickney. (Haw).