PDA

View Full Version : High Roller Vote

PaceAdvantage
12-03-2004, 10:30 AM
High Roller has requested I reinstate his posting privileges for a 30 day probationary period (his words, not mine).

I wondered how the rest of the folks who frequent Handicapping Software felt about this.....so, why not vote on it?

PaceAdvantage
12-03-2004, 10:36 AM
BTW, the poll will close in three days. I suppose this means sometime on Monday, though it could be as late as 11:55pm Monday night....

Dave Schwartz
12-03-2004, 11:35 AM
Perhaps I missed it but other than peddling software or something akin to that, did HR do something heinous?

Consider that almost everyone deserves a second chance. <G>

The fact that he has asked for a probationary trial says (to me) that he will likely try harder to fit in.

Regards to all,
Dave Schwartz

PS: It is Christmas. <G> (Or Kwanzaa or Hanukah, or approaching the Winter Solstice.)

andicap
12-03-2004, 02:20 PM
Most everyone deserves a 2nd chance.

Besides PA could boot him again in a week if he wishes to do so.

I say "Yes,"

cj
12-03-2004, 02:27 PM
Didn't he scam some guys from this board on eBay? And they probably went there from the links he posted on this board. I say a resounding NO.

PaceAdvantage
12-03-2004, 02:45 PM
You guys may want to puruse some of the threads by HIGH ROLLER in the Handicapping Software section of the board before voting.....particularly this thread:

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=16239&perpage=15&pagenumber=1

JustRalph
12-03-2004, 05:08 PM
consider this..........

it is 2 a.m. and a new member signs in. he posts his first message/question to a forum about software at around 2:30a and goes to bed. He wakes up the next morning and receives and email from a "pa board member who just happen to have seen his post" about a piece of software he may be interested in..........he decides to check out the ebay link in the email and buys or makes the top bid. He replies to the email with a "thanks" for the heads up and runs out to work. He gets back home at 6-7p that night and finally has time to go through the board some more. He comes upon the thread linked above by PA. He goes over to ebay and the auction has closed and he is the winner........................................how would you feel?

or better than that, he doesn't come across the thread linked above and the auction goes off, he pays.......and gets an email from the seller asking him not to say anything or post about the great deal he gave him on the software etc..........He receives another pm or email from the "helpful" PA board member congratulating him on buying the software at such a low price, they commiserate/discuss about the software the new member purchased. Unbeknowst to the new member, he is buying from and commiserating with the same person that took advantage of him via the board here.

I believe PA mentioned this board as being a community a short time ago. When a member of a community takes advantage of or commits a crime against other members...........they are normally no longer members of the community. why should this be any different?

orlando
12-03-2004, 05:37 PM
hey gents, If some one would rip me off I would say shame on him second time shame on me? their would be no third time or a second? Is he a rip of artist keep him in jail for a year.

GR1@HTR
12-03-2004, 05:46 PM
My dog pee pee'd on my floor only once....then she learned that wasn't a good thing to do and then no more problems...Should we have the same hopes for HR?

Dave Schwartz
12-03-2004, 05:50 PM
Ah, I stand corrected.

This is an honesty issue.

I'd say, first and foremost, that he must make good on returning the money he stole and then we could consider this.

Thanks for straightening this out, guys.

Dave

orlando
12-03-2004, 05:50 PM
proble is the dog cant think only feel

Buckeye
12-03-2004, 05:54 PM
I say let him in, it's a free country.

orlando
12-03-2004, 05:58 PM
so because it is a free country its ok to rip off people and get away with it with a slap on the wrist ? think about it how would you feel if he did it to you buckeye?

Buckeye
12-03-2004, 06:31 PM
He couldn't "rip me off" because I'm an honest man.

Let him post it he wants to.

So what.

Buckeye
12-03-2004, 06:34 PM
I ain't looking for something for nothing, thus, I can't be ripped off.

Period.

doophus
12-03-2004, 06:45 PM
After re-reading the High Roller posts, I am flabbergasted that he could ever eat enough crow to request reinstatement to this board. This old cynical mind of mine can't create any positive reason for his request, but I suppose it's possible to rebuild burned bridges.

P.A., I'm no lawyer, but be aware of an attempted legal trap. BTW, even if I was a lawyer, remember that I'm in Louisiana, a kingdom like no other.

I'll reread the posts again b-4 voting, but ........................

orlando
12-03-2004, 07:06 PM
hey buck you want to hang around some one like that or have him around you. not me buddy think of the impression it gives about pace advantage as far as looking for something for nothing I would like to see your face when some one rips you off.and by the way there it no free lunch just because its a free country got that!!!!!!!

betovernetcapper
12-03-2004, 07:14 PM
I vote yes, only because I found his posts amusing-not in a witty Noel Coward way, but more like one of the homeless you see talking to themselves. BTW very big of PA to entertain having him back.

Buckeye
12-03-2004, 07:34 PM
"there it no free lunch"

Ok, I think you got it buddy.

orlando
12-03-2004, 07:37 PM
hey buddy tell me something that every one knows? are you a chalk player is that it?

John
12-03-2004, 09:51 PM
I came to this board because of it's honesty and sincerity. I got to believe in what some of the members said and did.Because of that I became a better Horse player. I would like to keep this board a high esteem.

I say bring HR back but to answer a link only.Then after a period of time if all agree. Give him the privilege to post. [ It seems to me it was his postings that got him in trouble.]

John

Blackgold
12-03-2004, 09:58 PM
Thought it was funny that at the bottom of this thread there was a google ad for Flame Retardants.

That google is some kinda target marketing genius, right?

Enigma
12-03-2004, 11:08 PM
Hey! Bring him back ...Who Cares? Anybody with half a brain wouldn't read his post anyway based on his past performance.

PaceAdvantage
12-03-2004, 11:32 PM
Man, some of you guys are way too kind....lol

Larry Hamilton
12-03-2004, 11:41 PM
I dont think "kind" is the operative word. I think these newer guys dont remember or dont know Jack Hanna/ITM/and a million other names besides and the strife he was responsible for on this board over the years.

PaceAdvantage
12-03-2004, 11:56 PM
Jack just e-mailed me...he wants to be put to a vote as well....he's demanding equal time!

Unfortunately for him, the statute of limitations is in full effect on this board, and he missed the deadline for filing a claim to be reinstated...... :(

Diamond K
12-04-2004, 12:23 AM
Is this him? This was pasted from Ebay. This party was kicked off Ebay and is no longer a member. In order to be kicked off there must be other "strikes" against him which are not mentioned in the 'feedback'. Just curious...

Refuses to produce merchandise purchased. Fraud investigation pending.
Buyer franks940 ( 0 ) Nov-19-04 17:31 7112549071

great communication honest buyer
Seller evilbingoman ( 45) Oct-13-04 20:00 3843944318

No longer a registered user

The item purchased was a fax machine. The item this party sold and didn't deliver was:

NEW VERSION'S OF HORSE RACING SOFTWARE

POWERLINE

MASTER CONSENSUS

SHOW A PROFIT

THIS GROUP RETAIL'S FOR $900 I AM ACCEPTING BIDS ON THE PACKAGE PLEASE PAY BY MONEY ORDER AND EMAIL ME ANY QUESTIONS YOU MIGHT HAVE.

It appears this party is from Marietta, Georgia

If this is him and he is not welcome on Ebay....which is an honesty implication....why would he be welcome here?

PaceAdvantage
12-04-2004, 12:28 AM
Diamond K,

Thanks for that info. I hadn't realized he was kicked off of Ebay. Sort of makes the choice crystal clear. Plus the vote currently 2-1 against don't hurt either....

kingfin66
12-04-2004, 12:39 AM
Did you boot First_Place too? I hope not. Yes, he got into the flame war, but at he also contributed lots of good horse racing thoughts as well.

It's your board and your call. This High Roller allegedly swindled people. That, if true, goes way beyond simple negative posts.

PaceAdvantage
12-04-2004, 01:02 AM
Nope, did not boot FP. Contrary to popular belief, I don't boot very many people, especially without a very good reason.

Jingle
12-04-2004, 06:46 AM
I don't post that often but as long as the jury is still out I'll throw my 2 cents in.

Isn't there a rule somewhere that says "treat others as you would like to be treated" and a saying that goes something like: "let he/she who has never pis--ed anyone off throw the first stone" (glad I said "something" like this), and "judge as you would like to be judged".

I would like to give High Roller another chance---sort of like a probationary period or trial period with PA setting the time period.

As far as the Ebay fiasco goes--the jury is still out isn't it--I haven't read that High Roller is making the request from some prison cell.

Live and Let Live--hey its Christmas!!

Father Jingle (Not really)!!

Bob Allen
12-04-2004, 08:33 AM
Originally posted by PaceAdvantage
High Roller has requested I reinstate his posting privileges for a 30 day probationary period (his words, not mine).

I wondered how the rest of the folks who frequent Handicapping Software felt about this.....so, why not vote on it?

PA,

I voted "yes" but only because of the "30 day probationary period." Still leaves you the option to pull the plug since a probationary period can be ended at any time you feel it is violated.

Bob

midnight
12-04-2004, 09:25 AM
Absolutely positively not.

A leopard doesn't change his colors, and a scam artist doesn't just stop scamming. It appears that this person has traded copied software for original software, sold copied software, and even sold software that he didn't subsequently deliver. All three of those are illegal.

You can say: "Well, we won't let him use the PM feature, we won't let him post ads to sell things, etc. But a devious mind will find ways to get around limitations to continue the devious ways.

He even flat-stated that it was okay to do all these illegal things because (paraphrased) "everybody else is doing it."

The regulars here won't be fooled by High Roller. But newbies might, and we owe the newbies the courtesy of keeping the forum clean of known dishonest people.

By letting this person back in, you're sending a message that says it's okay to screw people over and gloat about it.

It's not okay.

Pace Cap'n
12-04-2004, 09:25 AM
PA

Perhaps you could request he write a short essay outlining his reasoning for our (your) allowing an alleged swindler and copyright infringer back in the group.

On second thought: What Midnight said.

cryptic1
12-04-2004, 09:45 AM
Being banned from an internet board is a pretty light
sentence for someone who has committed what is tantamount
to a criminal offence in Canada. He can find other places to
practice his dubious methods.

righteously yours
cryptic1

HTRFGuy
12-04-2004, 03:11 PM

Guys, please, can I vote again? Let him back in so that he quits e-mailing me personally with his questions.:D

Buckeye
12-04-2004, 03:27 PM
He's a High Roller. That sounds like my kindof guy!

He's a thief?

Free Speech for all.

You want to limit that? Not me.

PaceAdvantage
12-04-2004, 04:00 PM
Free Speech was never a guarantee on this privately owned and operated board. Read your user agreement again.....

Better yet, let me reprint it here:

Registration to this forum is free! We do insist that you abide by the rules and policies detailed below. If you agree to the terms, please press the Agree button at the end of the page.

Although the administrators and moderators of PaceAdvantage.Com will attempt to keep all objectionable messages off this forum, it is impossible for us to review all messages. All messages express the views of the author, and neither the owners of PaceAdvantage.Com or Jelsoft Enterprises Limited (developers of vBulletin) will be held responsible for the content of any message.

By clicking the Agree button, you warrant that you will not post any messages that are obscene, vulgar, sexually-orientated, hateful, threatening, or otherwise violative of any laws.

Unpaid advertising of any kind is not allowed on the message boards without PRIOR consent. By clicking the Agree button, you warrant that you will not post any advertising for any third-party commercial ventures, without the express written consent of PaceAdvantage.Com.

The owners of PaceAdvantage.Com have the right to remove, edit, move or close any thread for any reason.

JimG
12-04-2004, 04:09 PM
I'd rather see Vet Scratch or ITM come back instead of High Roller. At least their posts were amusing at times. High Roller offered nothing to the board, in my opinion. I re-read his posts just to make sure I didn't miss something. Nope, he offered nothing.

azmike
12-04-2004, 05:34 PM
I voted "NO".

I just read all the postings subsequent to my vote and nothing changes my opinion. This is a private, moderated board and I feel PA is very justified to barring him from participation.

kingfin66
12-04-2004, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by JimG
I'd rather see Vet Scratch or ITM come back instead of High Roller. At least their posts were amusing at times. High Roller offered nothing to the board, in my opinion. I re-read his posts just to make sure I didn't miss something. Nope, he offered nothing.

Jim,

I hate to be the one to break this news to you, but VetScratch has been back for a long time under the pseudonym, Equineer.

plainolebill
12-04-2004, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by kingfin66
Jim,

I hate to be the one to break this news to you, but VetScratch has been back for a long time under the pseudonym, Equineer.

No Kidding? Welcome back Vetscratch.

My inclination would be to give HIGH ROLLER a break, but since he is accused of cheating another member - thumbs down until that is resolved.

PaceAdvantage
12-04-2004, 08:13 PM
With about midway to go in the voting (voting will end on Monday), it appears HR is swimming upstream without a paddle or a boat. 2-1 still against.

Richard
12-04-2004, 08:19 PM
I voted to give HR a second chance but I fully agree with Dave Schwartz to the effect that HR must FIRST honestly resolve his ebay transaction problems before being given any further consideration to rejoin this,IMHO,honorable community.

midnight
12-04-2004, 09:15 PM
All I've seen this person do is trade handicapping products (software, methods, etc.) and whine, hide behind "free speech" "all's fair in love and war" "everybody steals software so it's okay" etc., and call people names who challenged his integrity.

It's absurd to believe that he didn't make copies of everything he traded, and there seems to be evidence that he's been engaging in fraud regarding these products. Since there seems to be reasonable suspicion of fraudulent activity, allowing him back into the forum would appear to be tantamount to aiding and abetting his illegal practices.

PaceAdvantage
12-04-2004, 11:34 PM
I'm shocked that even one person would want to bring HR back, but that's just me.

keilan
12-05-2004, 12:39 AM
PA –kick his ass outta here, we don’t need his kind here. Hell I can’t stand thieves :D :D

Bob Allen
12-05-2004, 12:47 AM
I'm shocked that even one person would want to bring HR back, but that's just me.

PA,

Me too after reading about his dishonesty.

PA, I originally voted "YES" but can I change my vote to "NO"? I wasn't aware of everything that's come to light since you posted this and it really embarrasses me to have voted "YES" in the first place.

Thanks for all you do,

Bob

ranchwest
12-05-2004, 01:49 AM
Originally posted by JimG

Sheesh, boot the reincarnation of Vet Scratch, too.

John
12-05-2004, 09:30 AM
PA,I did not fully understand the facts, now that other's explained. I will change my vote to NO.

rokitman
12-05-2004, 11:06 AM
Do High Roller a favor and whack him. Appears he needs a good life-lesson. Being sorry after you get arrested doesn't count.

doophus
12-05-2004, 11:27 AM
P.A.,

Hopefully HR has viewing privileges. If so, I'm sure he's watching and you may want to prolong his anxiety.

rokitman
12-05-2004, 12:01 PM
And whack doofus while you're at it just for the sadistic delight of it.

Come, PA, come into The Darkness.

PaceAdvantage
12-07-2004, 10:34 AM
The people have spoken.....end of story.