PDA

View Full Version : Pick 6 wheeling

Randy
12-02-2004, 11:28 PM
Could somebody explain how pick 6 wheeling works? like how to get a high priced strait ticket cost down by spreading picks over several tickets.Do you know of any freeware that will do it or is there a simple algorythem you can do to figure it out.I've seen web sites that offer to do it for a price but i would like to know how to do it myself,and I want to understand why it works, Go to horse-player.com and check out the EZpick system to give you an idea of what i'm talking about. THANKS

Pace Cap'n
12-03-2004, 07:10 AM
Check out this link, scroll down towards the lower part of the page:

www.bm-dist.com/wagering.html

BTW, contains interesting strategies for tri's, exactas, and pick-3's.

toetoe
12-03-2004, 01:34 PM
rpersin, separate every race into top contenders & possible spoilers. put tc's as numerators, spoilers as denoms. example:leg1-1,3,5/2,4; leg2-1/2,3;leg3-1,2,3/4,5;leg4-1/2;leg5-1,2,3/4,5,6;leg6-1/2. play 1 $54 ticket with your tops. then play all tops save one. that makes six tix with 5 tops & i bottom. the 7 tickets should add up to $558, whereas a straight ticket would be $5400. now, if you're terrified of two spoilers coming in, you can play a miss-two. 6 combos, i think, raising the cost. i think this worked much better back when 5 of 6 got half the pool. now it's only 3/7. sorry, no pithy way to describe it. trust it helped.

Randy
01-26-2005, 03:14 AM
lets say i decided to play the pick6 and i have 6 picks in each race 36 picks total why would spreading over say54 tickets be cheaper then putting them all on one ticket shouldn't it cost the same whether its on one ticket or 54

cj
01-26-2005, 05:38 AM
Randy,

You can never get the same coverage for less cost. I think you may be thinking of the primary contender/possible upsetter type of ticket. In this case, you can play a ticket where X number of primary contenders must win instead of lumping them all on the same ticket.

Does anyone want longshots on every ticket in each of the six races? You can reduce ticket costs by deciding how many races you want a "primary" horse to win to cash. Of course, this costs less by eliminating combinations. The downside is that you have to fill out a bunch of tickets and you can never get the same coverage for less money.

I don't play P6s, but I do something similar with the P3. I figure all the contenders I like and look at all the combinations. Then, I eliminate any combinations where I figure the publics rank of the horses will be 6 or less, ie a 1st choice, a 2nd choice, and a 3rd choice wouldn't qualify, or where there are two likely favorites on the ticket. I don't get the same coverage, but it costs a lot less and hopefully I'm not buying underlaid combos.

hurrikane
01-26-2005, 06:33 AM
Thanks for the link Pace

Blackgold
01-26-2005, 08:32 AM
Barry Meadow's books and booklets outlining ideas and the math for the P6 are the best I've ever seen for attacking this pool.

rrbauer
01-26-2005, 09:56 AM
CJ wrote:
"I don't play P6s, but I do something similar with the P3. I figure all the contenders I like and look at all the combinations. Then, I eliminate any combinations where I figure the publics rank of the horses will be 6 or less, ie a 1st choice, a 2nd choice, and a 3rd choice wouldn't qualify, or where there are two likely favorites on the ticket. I don't get the same coverage, but it costs a lot less and hopefully I'm not buying underlaid combos."

Comment:
P3's with a 1st, 2nd and 3rd choice should pay pretty good. In that scenario, the top seven combinations (1-1-1, 1-1-2, 1-2-1, 1-2-2, 2-1-1,
2-1-2, 2-2-2) drawing crowd money, are all gone.

A lot of the payoff determination has to do with how much money, in each of the legs, the favorite is going to draw. For sure, P3's (P-anythings for that matter) that contain all favorites are extremely overbet and should be tossed, but beating the odds-on, crowd favorite that a high percentage of players are using as a "single", can produce some pretty juicy payoffs.

cj
01-26-2005, 09:58 AM
Fair enough rr, its more of a guideline than a rule :). One rule for sure though, is I won't play a P3 that contains a likely odds on horse to win, and the first leg is especially unappealing.

rrbauer
01-26-2005, 10:05 AM
Generally, I agree with your approach....exceptions noted!

Randy
01-27-2005, 09:21 PM
ok thanks what i was talking about was there are these sites like
www.bm-dist.com/wagering.html toward the bottom of the page they have pick 6 formulas that let you have for instance 4 horses in one race 3 horses in 3 races and one horse in remaining 2 races. If you were to put all this on 1 ticket it would cost $216 but spread the picks over 9 tickets like
TICKET
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
---------------------------------
Race 1: 1+4 1+4 1+4 2 2 2 3 3 3
Race 2: 1 2 3 1 2 3 1 2 3
Race 3: 1 3 2 2 1 3 3 2 1
Race 4: 1 2 3 2 3 1 3 1 2
Race 5: 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1
Race 6: 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1

it would only cost $24 and some sites says that you have to keep the horizonal numbers the same but switch the vertical numbers. what is the reason for this and why does it work. I have figured out from posts that when you do it this way your eliminating unlikely combanations thats probably not gonng to happen.

betovernetcapper
01-27-2005, 09:42 PM
Here's a link to a free exotic wager calculator-figures the cost of various tickets.

http://home.att.net/~prof.factor/f_ewc.html

Beyer On Speed has a great chapter called exotic betting strategy which deals in creating a pic 6 ticket.

betovernetcapper
01-27-2005, 09:48 PM
lets say i decided to play the pick6 and i have 6 picks in each race 36 picks total why would spreading over say54 tickets be cheaper then putting them all on one ticket shouldn't it cost the same whether its on one ticket or 54

I just took a look and the cost of a 6 horse per race $1. ticket is $46,656-so some kind of stratagy is helpful. :)

Pace Cap'n
01-27-2005, 10:12 PM
A lot of the payoff determination has to do with how much money, in each of the legs, the favorite is going to draw. For sure, P3's (P-anythings for that matter) that contain all favorites are extremely overbet and should be tossed, but beating the odds-on, crowd favorite that a high percentage of players are using as a "single", can produce some pretty juicy payoffs.

Classic example: Azeri's race on Derby Day.

A $40,000 Pic-4 with no non-contenders winning.

Bro Ham
01-27-2005, 11:21 PM
I have figured out from posts that when you do it this way your eliminating unlikely combanations thats probably not gonng to happen.

Keep in mind that it's the 'unlikely combinations' that result in monster payouts!

The Barry Meadows book mentioned previously is killer - Money Secrets at the Racetrack. He's not a huckster trying to convince you that his $42 ticket is going to buy you $96 worth of coverage.

Speaking of unlikely combinations and $42 tickets.... played yesterday's Pick6 at Santa Anita, $143k carryover going in. Didn't want to make a huge ticket, so I pared it down to 2x1x2x2x2x3, A and B choices. With my handy xeroxed Meadows charts, I played the S22223, demanding that 3 A's win. 21 tickets, $42. A straight ticket would have run $96.

My single in the second leg was wrestled 17 wide into the stretch by a bug boy for the show. My 'A' choices won in all the other legs. 5 of 6 paid a whopping $48.40 for a tidy $6.40 profit, not to mention the 2+ hours of high suspense and smug self-satisfaction which accompanied the drama. :D

All of which, of course is better than a sharp stick in the eye. Thankfully, my Pick4 paid $101.

So here's an instance where the Meadows ticket construction model saved this Pick6-on-a-budget player a handful of dollars with a slim ticket -- but if two of those legs had been won by $26 and $18 horses, what are the chances they'd have been covered on my ticket? Slimmer.

Blackgold
01-28-2005, 07:34 AM
I've even dove deeper into Meadow's books, as constructing an excel worksheet to determine the probable payoffs of the P6 as compared to the amount risked. Based on that model, I didn't play Wed. P6 at SA because the model predicted it wouldn't pay too much and I think it just paid over four thou.

Good luck all this Sat. in the Sunshine Millions. . .remember last year where a superfecta paid some lucky punter about 90 grand.

Randy
04-10-2005, 04:23 AM
using the pick6 stategies from http://www.bm-dist.com/wagering.html there is a formula for going 6 deep in 2 races 3 deep in 2 races and single in two races, How could i modify that formula to go 8 deep in all six races and get the most coverage for the least amount of money and how many tickets would it take?