PDA

View Full Version : Aol Has A Pair Of Ball

IRISHLADSTABLE
12-01-2004, 12:19 PM
After 4 years of Aol I decided to switch to another ISP

When I called Aol to cancel they tried to keep me as a customer

I told them I found a better deal Please cancel my account.

I was told no problem BUT because I just missed my billing cut off date ( The Day Before) I would get charged for that month.

I tried to have them reverse the charge but I was told that this is there policy. I didnt like it but it wasnt worth getting upset over it

I asked what will happen and was told I would have access

for the next 30 days ( Which I paid for) AFTER that the account

would be closed .

Low and behold the The Master Card bill comes in and guess what . A charge for AOL is on it .

I call them and Im told Many customers leave and decide to
come back . So the acct is really not closed it just dormant

In case I decide to come to Aol

What made the account active again

I told my son he could use Aol for the next 30 days after that he
would have to use optonline.net. On the 31 day he logged on to Aol and this activited the acct .

Jimmy

BillW
12-01-2004, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by IRISHLADSTABLE
After 4 years of Aol I decided to switch to another ISP

When I called Aol to cancel they tried to keep me as a customer

I told them I found a better deal Please cancel my account.

I was told no problem BUT because I just missed my billing cut off date ( The Day Before) I would get charged for that month.

I tried to have them reverse the charge but I was told that this is there policy. I didnt like it but it wasnt worth getting upset over it

I asked what will happen and was told I would have access

for the next 30 days ( Which I paid for) AFTER that the account

would be closed .

Low and behold the The Master Card bill comes in and guess what . A charge for AOL is on it .

I call them and Im told Many customers leave and decide to
come back . So the acct is really not closed it just dormant

In case I decide to come to Aol

What made the account active again

I told my son he could use Aol for the next 30 days after that he
would have to use optonline.net. On the 31 day he logged on to Aol and this activited the acct .

Jimmy

Jimmy,

That's the game they play (and in your case they squeezed another month out of you - so it worked) You'll need to explain the meaning of "Close the account" to them. Dish network acts in the same manner - you can use their website to give them more money (i.e. add services), but just try and cancel something, you have to call and be put on hold for 30 mins listening to how important your call is to them and how you unluckily chose a busy time to call them. :rolleyes:

Bill

so.cal.fan
12-01-2004, 12:44 PM
Irishladstable:

Congratulations for getting rid of the WORST ISP on the internet!
We used to use them, got bogus credit card charges from advertisers on AOL....had to change our credit card number!
When we called to complain we were basically told "tough luck".
These people are horrible and do not deserve any business.
You keep after them, if you need to call your credit card/bank to put a stop to their charges, do so.
Good luck to you......keep after these crooks.
I strongly urge anyone using these people or considering using them to think otherwise.

Been there....done that....been cheated so.cal.fan:mad:

kenwoodallpromos
12-01-2004, 03:06 PM
AOL is hard up form customers.
You may threaten to contact the state attorney general or federal trade commission to lodge a complaint.

Tom
12-01-2004, 10:45 PM
I dumped AOL years ago...they were never, ever, a reputable company. And their product sucs.

Dick Schmidt
12-02-2004, 02:47 AM
Though I've never used AOL, I've had similar experiences with other businesses. What I do is immediately contact my credit card company and dispute the charges. This puts the ball back in their court and forces them to respond. As anyone working for a large company knows, it costs more than the monthly AOL fee just for them to write a letter, to say nothing of checking your account and providing justification for the charge.

If they do prevail, you have the satisfaction of knowing they lost money on you, and if enough people do it, they will revise their business practices. Money always talks. And there is a good chance that they will not contest your refusal to pay and drop the matter, since they know it will cost them more to collect than the total amount of the debt.

My credit card company has a form to dispute charges right on the back of the bill.

Dick

Who, when he goes down, likes to go down fighting.

chiefcrazybear
12-02-2004, 10:01 AM
I had aol also and a little over 2 mo's ago i went to DSL and they kept persisting i should try different services for less money i told them i did not want to hear anymore then they had to transfer me to the person who cancels and he kept trying to get me to stay.My billing date had expired 3 or 4 days before so they said im pd up for the rest of the monnth so i went down to my bank and had the debit card canceled and got a new one.Just a couple of days ago i get a letter telling me i owe for 2 mo's and if i will resign and tell them my new acct # they will just put the bill on my renew acct.I called and blasted the oriental gal and so she did not understand siad i still owe i told them i have my confirmation # and would get ahold of the local BBB so she said she canceled all my debt but would like to talk about coming back hahahah click:mad:

JustRalph
12-02-2004, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by chiefcrazybear
I had aol also and a little over 2 mo's ago i went to DSL and they kept persisting i should try different services for less money i told them i did not want to hear anymore then they had to transfer me to the person who cancels and he kept trying to get me to stay.My billing date had expired 3 or 4 days before so they said im pd up for the rest of the monnth so i went down to my bank and had the debit card canceled and got a new one.Just a couple of days ago i get a letter telling me i owe for 2 mo's and if i will resign and tell them my new acct # they will just put the bill on my renew acct.I called and blasted the oriental gal and so she did not understand siad i still owe i told them i have my confirmation # and would get ahold of the local BBB so she said she canceled all my debt but would like to talk about coming back hahahah click:mad:

been down this road. The AOL types will hound you forever and hit your credit rating...........I just paid it to get it over with. Luckily it was only 20 bucks.