11-30-2004, 11:46 AM
I know of

Meadowlands
Hoosier
Hawthorne
Woodbine

are there any other?

Also,

Balmoral and Cal Expo both have chutes leading into the backstretch, were these thouroughbred tracks back in the day? or are they still?

thanks

JoeG
11-30-2004, 12:09 PM
A few more that I think are right:

Colonial Downs
Indiana Downs
Northlands Park (?)
Rockingham Park (t-breds may not run again)

TOOZ
11-30-2004, 01:22 PM
Hawthorne runs both, but on the same track, I don't know. Woodbine has two different courses. They can run Thoroughbred in the daytime and harness at night. In the mid 80's, Hollywood park also had a standardbred meet. Los Alamitos had the Quarters and standardbreds at one time. Garden State park had both, R.I.P. So did Atlantic City years ago.

Zman179
11-30-2004, 03:01 PM
Oh, geez. There are a ton of tracks that used to host different breeds.

Flat tracks that used to hold trotter meets: Assiniboia, Bay Meadows (trots & quarter horses), Canterbury, Del Mar, Fairmount, Fairplex (Pomona), Great Lakes (Muskegon), Hollywood and Turfway (Latonia). Stockton still hosts trotter qualifiers.

On the flip side, trot tracks that have had flat racing in the past: Balmoral (when it was a 5/8ths track), Dover, Hazel Park, Hippodrome de Montréal (Blue Bonnets) and Yonkers (when it was a mile track called Empire City). Pompano Park has also hosted quarter horse meets.

Other than the aforementioned, you still have dual-breed tracks like Stampede Park, Northlands Park (yes Joe, you were right), Prairie Meadows and Rockingham. The Rock hosted a dual-breed program last Labor Day and they wish to get back into the flat racing scene again by using it's turf course almost exclusively, so don't count out the Rock flats yet.

BIG RED
11-30-2004, 03:42 PM
I was glad Rock went to the trotters for one reason, now Suffolk will be better supplied with runners and especially they would have turf racing back all summer. Now Rock wants to get back in it soley for that. I hope they don't because Suffolk is much closer.

trickey
11-30-2004, 05:22 PM
Woodbine actually has 3 tracks.......

their turf course is actually the main track...it looks enormous...

the inner track is the thoro-bred main dirt track......

the innermost track is for the trots.......

what an enormous place that must be.......

has anyone ever been there?????

Zaf
11-30-2004, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by trickey
Woodbine actually has 3 tracks.......

their turf course is actually the main track...it looks enormous...

the inner track is the thoro-bred main dirt track......

the innermost track is for the trots.......

what an enormous place that must be.......

has anyone ever been there?????

Watching a marathon turf race at Woodbine from the grandstand is amazing. The course is enormous. The first turn is actually located in another zip code :D Actually I think the course is 1 3/4 miles one time around making Belmonts Main track look puny.

ZAFONIC

gillenr
11-30-2004, 05:51 PM
AP once ran trots.

Tom
11-30-2004, 11:33 PM
Woodbine turf course is HUGE!
If you stay at the hotel just next to the track -Travelodge?
get a room on the upper floors - you can look out onto the track from the top of the stretch and the view is really amzing-the whole thing is just huge. I stay there when I go up to play and you can actually watch the morning works from your room window.
And if you lose, it alway handy to be on the 6th floor....:rolleyes:

jrstark@BTW
12-03-2004, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by TOOZ
Hawthorne runs both, but on the same track, I don't know.

Hawthorne uses the same track, they convert to harness during the summer when Arlington is running.