GR1@HTR
05-02-2001, 02:18 PM
Pick One!

PaceAdvantage
05-02-2001, 04:59 PM
I use my own homegrown stuff....

Tom
05-02-2001, 09:21 PM
I use a lot-no set programs. Total Pace is the basses of everything I do, in one way or another. I still use thoromation sometimes, and K-gen sometimes. When I am really alert and on my game, I can really do well with Sarrtin's energy-type programs, but when I am not that sharp, they really are hard to use. It's like soe days I speak the language, and other days I forget what the words mean.
I always know what TPR is telling me. I am just getting into Multicaps lately-I like the printouts and the modeling-and the various factors to look at all at once.
Tom

PA-
I like your program-I copied the Derby post to Excel so I could play with the numbers, calculate some other ratings, etc, and had some fun with it today-thanks for the post.

Dick Schmidt
05-03-2001, 04:23 AM
Three thoughts come to mind. First, I'm glad to see that TPR just keeps rolling along. We still sell enough books to justify keeping them in print. Sometimes the simple ways are best.

Second, Bob Purdy is going to be seriously pissed when he sees you've lumped him in with Sartin programs. He is in no way connected with Sartin or PIRCO any more, and his programs have little in common with such offerings as Validator.

Third, a software program that only works when you are "sharp" is missing the whole point of using a computer. When you are "on" anything will work. The idea of using a computer is to make sure you approach each race in the same manner and do not miss things. If they can't do that, if they need an outstanding handicapper just to make them work, then what good are they most of the time? The key to winning over time is consistency, not brilliance.

Dick

GR1@HTR
05-03-2001, 10:01 AM
Tom,

Glad TPR is working well for you. If I am correct, TPR is similar to EP + Fr3 (I could be wrong). With all due respect to Mr. Schmidt, I have tested this factor over thousand of races and have found it puts too much emphasis on the final fraction. Says the Final fraction is worth 1/2 of the rating. How can it be worth half of the rating when theoretically it is only about 1/3 of the race? To correct this, I would suggest altering the formula a little bit to EP + SP. This will give you a higher % of winners and better ROI.

Dick,

Sorry to lump Purdy into Sartin category. Poll only allows 10 selections so unfortunately someone is going to get the short end of the stick. Since this web site is not the " be all end all" I assume he won't get that pissed.

Tom
05-03-2001, 07:46 PM
Hello Dick,
BTW, thanks for o lot of the foudation of the 'capper I am today-your training and wrinting are still being listened too/read every year.
As far as Energy/T-Mation goes, what i mean by being "On" is that sometinmes I can really see things in these programs that seem to be intuitively significant to me. I can't do that whe I am being analytical or when I am tired, stressed, etc. It's like I used to write songs when I was younger and in aband-some days the songs were just there-waitin gfor me to write them down. Other days, I couldn't get "Row,row row Your Boat" out of my head. That's why TPR is my favorite-It is written in English and I can always look at the readouts and know what they are saying.

GR1- It is basically 2nd call, 3rd fraction and the total of the two. I do some variations on this if I have Bris or TSN numbers, and I usually adjust the 3rd fraction based on the 2nd call. Good Ole DRF TV works fine usually. I actually use 65% of the adjsutments on early and 35% on late for sprints.
I try to adjust a little as possible-even if it means going back a couple for a paceline. I don't object to adjusting,
but most people aren't using raw times, so there is always plenty of good seats available in that arena.
Tom