PDA

View Full Version : Racing Ticket Pricing...

Observer
11-27-2004, 11:28 PM
I never would have imaged just how expensive tickets are for KY Oaks day!

KY Oaks Tickets (http://www.eventmarketplace.com/PricedEventDetail.asp?EventID=290651&Live=True)

Derby Day is even more astonishing!

KY Derby Tickets (http://www.eventmarketplace.com/PricedEventDetail.asp?EventID=289612&Live=True)

Speed Figure
11-27-2004, 11:59 PM
They make more on those 2 days than most tracks make for the hole meet.

cj
11-28-2004, 12:14 AM
I've been to the Derby once. It was a great time, and don't regret going for a minute.

That said, I won't go a second time, and certainly not for those prices! They couldn't pay me to go back, just too many damn people.

CryingForTheHorses
11-28-2004, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by cj
I've been to the Derby once. It was a great time, and don't regret going for a minute.

That said, I won't go a second time, and certainly not for those prices! They couldn't pay me to go back, just too many damn people.

CJ write it off as a business expense, You got it!!

OTM Al
11-28-2004, 01:22 PM
And the Belmont still costs all of $2 to get into the grand stand. I thought everything in NY was supposed to be more expensive, but that's still the best deal in sports

Tom
11-28-2004, 04:01 PM
Am I cheap or what? Paying to get into a track...No Way Jose! I pay once a year to get into Saratoga and cpmplain about it the rest of the year. FL has free admission and parking, so maybe I am spoiled, but I would not pay to get into any track just to bet the horses. I can see anything I want on TV or compueter.

Zman179
11-28-2004, 06:17 PM
I hear ya Tom.

I personally don't have a problem paying $1 or $2 to go to the track since I only go occasionally.

What I cannot believe are the admission prices in Southern California:
Hollywood Park (HOL includes program) - $5.50, with parking $7
Santa Anita - $5
Del Mar - minimum: $2.50 when buying a book of 10 admissions

Where in the world does SA and HOL get off in gouging it's fans like that?!?

Speed Figure
11-28-2004, 07:01 PM
Hollywood Park has free parking. It's $7 to get in and that comes with a program. The crazy thing is, Fairplex park as an OTB is $4 to park, $3 to get in, $2 for a program & $4 if you want the form. That's $13 bucks before you make 1 bet. It's only .25 cents per bet with TVG and ever more than $20 for the month.

JustRalph
11-28-2004, 09:37 PM
I paid fifteen bucks to get in at Del Mar a few years back. Supposed to be a nice area with seats. I got to the area and showed them my stamp or whatever and they told me that none of those seats were left and I shouldn't have been sold one. I was told to "try and find a seat someplace else" this was labor day sunday. Needless to say I couldn't get anybody to refund my money and I didn't sit down for 2 hours and finally left. I basically took a 2 hour walking tour of the joint and left without placing a bet. It was a really nice place.........but I was treated kind of crappy for sure

cj
11-29-2004, 08:11 AM
Pimlico Saturday...

Payed $2 to park, then $2 for valet since my Dad just had his hip replaced. My Dad paid $5 for the DRF and $1 for a pen.

Then, $5 each to get into the Sports Palace, with a $3 voucher towards a food or beverage purchase, which of course are WAY overpriced. All of this was OK with me as I don't really get a chance to go live very often.

What was not OK was the Sports Palace, the supposed nicest place in the plant. It has absolutely no non-smoking areas, and I fear I took at least a year off my life spending 30 minutes in there. I mean, this is a new century, right? And they serve food there too. Pretty disgusting if you ask me. All in all I had a decent day, but what a waste of $10.

andicap
11-29-2004, 03:17 PM
It's $5 to get into New York City OTB's restaurants.

I mean, they're nice places, but i guess i'm paying for the infrastructure -- monitors, tellers, utilities, etc.

Zman179
12-01-2004, 04:24 PM
Some of these admission charges border on the criminal. The fact that Southern California charges $3 for simulcasting takes the cake.
It certainly makes me happy that, as a horseplayer, I live in the Northeast.

BTW, Andicap, you pay the $5 (at the teletheaters - there's a difference) to not pay a surcharge on winnings. The restaurants don't charge admission, but they hit you with the 6% vig.