PDA

View Full Version : Time Per Furlong

Rexdale You
11-27-2004, 06:40 PM
Do any of you Gentlemen or Ladies know of a

computer program that can reduce fraction time

to its individual or actual time per furlong.

Please point me in that direction if possible.

I'm having a handicappers brainwave/moment

All replies will be treated with respect.

Thank all in advance,,,Rex You :D :D :cool:

Charlie Judge
11-27-2004, 08:35 PM
Most race times are given at the 1/4 ,1/2 etc mile calls.

There are 2 furlongs in a quarter mile, so you just divide the 1/4 mile time by 2 to get the average time for the first 2 furlongs, subtract the 1/4 mile time from the 1/2 mile time and divide by 2 to get the average time of the race for the next 2 furlongs.

If you want the time for a particular horse, then you have to correct for lengths behind at each call. This becomes an art. There is great debate about the value in time of a length behind at any particular call. It gets even more complicated when a horse gains lengths on the field as the race progresses.

I suggest you read Brohamer's "Modern Pace Handicapping" or Byer's works on speed figures to understand the nature of the problem.

Once you have read Brohamer, set up the equations in a spreadsheet and type in some real values by hand. You will then have an appreciation of what it takes to do speed and pace figures.

These are gross approximations, as most races are run with an initial acceleration (the run-up which occurs primarily before the timer starts), then a continual but variable rate of deacceleration. When we get horses running with gps chips in the saddle we will be able to get a true speed at any point in the race. Otherwise we must approximate times.

CAJ

Rexdale You
11-27-2004, 09:10 PM
Charlie i thank you for your reply,,

While i am familiar with the actual breakdown of

the fractions. I was inquiring as to a actual program

that would reduce my time. You can imagine how

long it takes to reduce each entry to a per furlong

average based on each call.

Formulator did not do it and i wondered if other systems

had this feature incorporated.

I see a recent system getting discussed on another thread

Apparently it has a " user defined model " however i should

contact the inventor to find out if it will serv my needs.

Thanks,,,Rex You,,

socantra
11-27-2004, 10:54 PM
Bpth BRIS and TSN past performance software will give you time of race or time of horse in individual fraction times. From there its pretty easy to do in your head if you need it by furlong.

socantra

Rexdale You
11-28-2004, 09:54 AM
Socan,,,

Thanks Rex You,,,

cj
11-28-2004, 10:26 AM
Formulator does the same thing, and will actually calculate the actual individual horse's fractions too.

CryingForTheHorses
11-28-2004, 11:57 AM
I am wondering this,In horsemans language, Time means nothing!!.You can have a horse that ran 3/4 in 113 and get beat 5 lengths fix him up and he will run 3/4 in 112.2.What also amazes me is why would you want to know what kind of time a horse had for each furlong...wouldnt you rather want to know his last eight?..A closer is only as good as the pace, If the pace is fast then the closer has a chance, If the pace is slow the closer could be up with the leaders as he wouldnt be a closer in a slow paced race..Do I sound whacked?..A speed horse and a need to lead horse are 2 different kinds of horses, If you have a speed horse alone then there is a chance your closer wont get there in time, If you have a speed horse and also a need to lead horse, They will burn the pace therefor your closer has a much better chance of winning..IMO

Rexdale You
11-28-2004, 02:46 PM
Mac,

I have been doing a project that seems to indicate
which entries are capable of maintaining a fit attempt
to compete in a particular race.

It accentuates the speed of each Fr.which i find useful.

It helps to indentify contenders.

I bet mostly tri & Sfc.

I just had a look @ the equism site . It looks like it
may have what i need.

Thanks for your response. Rex You

andicap
11-29-2004, 12:34 AM
Originally posted by McSchell_Racing
I am wondering this,In horsemans language, Time means nothing!!.You can have a horse that ran 3/4 in 113 and get beat 5 lengths fix him up and he will run 3/4 in 112.2.What also amazes me is why would you want to know what kind of time a horse had for each furlong...wouldnt you rather want to know his last eight?..A closer is only as good as the pace, If the pace is fast then the closer has a chance, If the pace is slow the closer could be up with the leaders as he wouldnt be a closer in a slow paced race..Do I sound whacked?..A speed horse and a need to lead horse are 2 different kinds of horses, If you have a speed horse alone then there is a chance your closer wont get there in time, If you have a speed horse and also a need to lead horse, They will burn the pace therefor your closer has a much better chance of winning..IMO

Aren't there some closers who always race in the back of the pack regardless of the pace? So in slow-paced races they have little chance? And even if a horse who usually races 7 lengths back at the 2nd call finds himself 3 lengths back in a slow-paced race, he will still be at a disadvantage because the horses in front of him are more likely to be fresh as well? That's why I ignore late fractions in slow-paced races, why some "early" horses appear to have great final fractions but in a legitimately paced race would have no chance unless he has proven he can rate and close.