PDA

View Full Version : Controversial DQ

Buddha
11-27-2004, 11:27 AM
And they want to put blame on horsemen and jockeys for cheating.

http://www.drf.com/news/article/61104.html
{snippet}

The commission's chairman, Scott Borgemenke, was quoted in Thursday's Cleveland Plain Dealer as saying "We will not take any action until we study the videotape. However, I've been told all three [stewards] admitted they made the wrong call, that the winning horse's jockey did not strike the other horse."

BillW
11-27-2004, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by Buddha
And they want to put blame on horsemen and jockeys for cheating.

http://www.drf.com/news/article/61104.html
{snippet}

Jarrod,

Question is, did they know it was the wrong call when they made it (cheating), or did they come to that conclusion at a later time (incompetence)? Both should probably result in the same action but technically there is a difference.

Bill

kenwoodallpromos
11-27-2004, 02:04 PM
When asked if he would resign, Fairbanks responded, "Not yet. Call us back on Monday.

RXB
11-28-2004, 01:01 AM
Several years ago at Hastings, I had $50 on the nose of a 20-1 that held off the favourite in a stretch-long duel, but was DQ'd because the rider had allegedly struck the opposing horse in the face with his whip. In fact, he didn't hit the other horse, and the stewards admitted the mistake by neither fining nor suspending the jockey. (No one resigned or got fired.)

So I got screwed out of $1000. One of at least four occasions where a disgraceful decision by the stewards cost me a four-figure hit.

Tom
11-28-2004, 03:58 PM
A few years ago, the the placing judge at either Sar of Bel put the horse that finished 5th up as the winner and it went official. His "punishement" was a transfer.....to Finger Lakes!

Buddha
12-04-2004, 02:31 AM
http://www.drf.com/news/article/61252.html

Each steward must pay the commission $500 immediately, with the remaining $1,500 to be held in abeyance until Dec. 31, 2005, when it will be dropped if no further incidents have occurred.

Thistledown stewards Allen Fairbanks, Joel McCullar, and Kim Sawyer have each been fined $2,000 and suspended for three days as the result of a disqualification on Nov. 20.

Zman179
12-04-2004, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by Tom
A few years ago, the the placing judge at either Sar of Bel put the horse that finished 5th up as the winner and it went official. His "punishement" was a transfer.....to Finger Lakes!

That was when the stewards at Saratoga disqualified the wrong horse and didn't realize it until after they had made the race official. John Joyce, who was the State Steward at SAR, was demoted to FL as a result. That was back in 1986.

hurrikane
12-04-2004, 09:22 AM
intesting,

I had 5 tickets on the p4 at CD last year going into the last race. my longshot was blazing around the turn heading into the stretch and blowing by the lead fav.

jockey reached out to use the whip and slammed my horse in the nose. He kept coming. Slammed him again and he quit.

i just figured it was bad racing luck. it certainly didn't look intentional. but no dq. now I feel bad....

ranchwest
12-04-2004, 10:06 AM
At LS I saw an objection against the wrong horse. The funny part was that a local radio celebrity picked up on it while he was covering the race for television. Fortunately the objection (against the winner) didn't stand up.

rokitman
12-04-2004, 07:59 PM
Last year I started playing Charlestown a little for the first time. Had a wire-to-wire winner in one of their supershort sprints. Had the exacta too. 2nd and 3rd place horses start blinking after the race. Do have the exacta with the current second place finisher, don't if the 3rd place finisher moves up. A very vague looking incident coming off the turn. They embark on the longest review I have ever been involved in. Over and over and over with the replay. There's only one camera angle that shows the spot it happened-the common wide shot- so it gets really extra frustrating to watch. All you see is the 3rd place finisher running up on the heels of the 2nd place finisher. "What are you looking at now that you couldn't see the first 50 times!!!," I am yelling. They replayed it an insane amount of times. I am ready to lose the exacta just to put myself out of misery-still will have the win bet. Finally, it stops blinking. And my win horse is gone. Disqualified for an incident out of the gate!!!!!!!!!!! It was never blinking and they never showed the gate head-on once amongst the many dozens of times they were showing the shot for the alleged 2nd/3rd place inquiry. They showed it once after it was posted official. He had veered an amount that would cause a disqualification in just about every race if they called it. I truly wanted to choke those stewards to death at the time. Not even for the money. For the absolutely obscene absurdity of it. I had to settle for never playing Charlestown again.

Zman179
12-04-2004, 08:10 PM
Maryland is famous for that stuff.

More than once at LRL/PIM, I've seen a rider claim foul against another horse only to be taken down HIMSELF while the original blinking number stayed up. Same thing with inquiries.