PDA

View Full Version : BRIS Result files -- Turf races, temp rail.

GameTheory
03-25-2002, 09:15 PM
Hello,

Does anybody have any BRIS chart (.cht) or result files (.res) for Feb 20 at GP? If so, could you look up races 6 & 9, and tell me if the distance field (field #4 in either format) shows up as a negative number, indicating an "About" distance? Actually, any track & day with a temp rail situation like that will do, but there's one I can point you to.

Currently my parser only flags "About" distances if they actually use the word "About" in the description, which those do not. (Santa Anita's downhill turf always says, "at about 6 1/2 furlongs", for instance.) I would like to maintain consistancy with those files on this issue. In any case I'll set up a separate flag when there is a temp rail set, but I'm just wondering if I should add the negative to the yardage too...

gillenr
03-25-2002, 10:44 PM
Just a caution! AP(& maybe other tracks) runs some exact distances at different rail positions. It all depends on the opening for the gate & the locations of the timing sticks.

karlskorner
03-26-2002, 08:25 AM
Game Theory

On 2/20 at GP the temp rail was set out to 20' according to my charts.

Karl

GameTheory
03-26-2002, 02:53 PM
Really? On my Equibase charts it says 15 feet, not 20. That's another issue I guess.

Under the BRIS file specs, the distance is to be reported as a negative number instead of positive in the case of "About" distances. What I'm trying to figure out if that (having a temp rail) qualifies for the negative, or only those distances that are actually described using the word "About"...

BillW
03-26-2002, 03:39 PM
GT,

I get into dirt races and don't pay much attention to turf races at this time. However since you asked, I looked at my database and didn't find any "about" flags set. SO out of curiosity I checked the first example of an "about" race I came across (FG #4 3/25/2002)
The BRIS single file did not have this dist negated (This was an advertised "about" race, not a temp rail race.).

This is a bit distressing(I would much rather have this data accurate than timing to the 1/100!) ... I'm going to write Bris and find out what is going on. Will report back.

Later,

Bill

Tim
03-26-2002, 03:40 PM
GT,

GP 2/20
DRF Simulcast weekly: "about" in the race distance for races 6 & 9 - rail setting not mentioned.

Bris Instant Charts: "about" in the race distance for races 6 & 9 - rail setting not mentioned

Equibase Charts downloaded with ChartGet: no mention of "about" but includes the statement "temp rail set at 15 feet".

Bris comma delimited import charts: Distance represented as a positive number.

go figure,
Tim