PDA

View Full Version : New York City OTB simulcasting

fouroneone
11-24-2004, 01:27 PM
Does anyone know why we lost HAWTHORNE and MOUTAINEER, about 2 months ago, and if we will be getting them back.

I am sick of the all trotting sundays and mondays on channel 71.

Figman
11-24-2004, 01:54 PM
Reportedly a "cost cutting" measure by NYCOTB. If they just take bets and don't show the simulcast picture, NYCOTB gets to retain more of its commissions.

fouroneone
11-24-2004, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by Figman
Reportedly a "cost cutting" measure by NYCOTB. If they just take bets and don't show the simulcast picture, NYCOTB gets to retain more of its commissions.

I hope NYRA takes over the OTB operations in New York.

-We used to have simulcasting and betting until 2:30am, now its 11:30 on weeknights, 1am on saturday

-The Clerks make an astonishing $19 an hour to sit behind bulletproof glass, and many are VERY rude.

-We used to have two full time channels of Racing on Cable, now one of them switches over to the chinese channel at 7:30 every night, and the other is just a payouts/results screen for almost 12 hours a day.

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Zman179
11-24-2004, 08:29 PM
NYCOTB balked at the rate that Hawthorne, Mountaineer and Turfway were asking for the simulcast signal. Considering that NYCOTB has always looked out only for itself by looking for the cheapest prices to pay for signals, NYCOTB has completely dropped these tracks.

There are still branches that stay open until 2am on Fridays & Saturdays (that is whenever they decide to take enough races to go up until 2am):
Manhattan
7-8 Chatham Square
991 2nd Avenue (53rd St)
515 7th Avenue (38th St)

Brooklyn
6719 Bay Parkway (65th St)
1612 East 16th Street (Kings Hwy) -> Saturdays only

Queens
253-01 Northern Boulevard (Little Neck Pkwy)
94-00 Liberty Avenue (Cross Bay Blvd) -> Fridays only

No locations in The Bronx & Staten Island

One correction: NYCOTB has NEVER had two full time channels on cable TV. Channel 73 has always stopped showing the races at 7:30pm and they've always shown entries and/or results from the end of the night's races up until 1 hour before NYRA starts.

FYI, I have just about completely discontinued wagering with NYCOTB and now use Brisbet for my action. Even when I'm in an OTB branch.

The_Knight_Sky
11-24-2004, 10:27 PM
Is that who I think it is?

Bill Zettler from the old Netcapper board? :confused:

Zman179
11-24-2004, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by The_Knight_Sky
Is that who I think it is?

Bill Zettler from the old Netcapper board? :confused:

Nope, sorry.

The_Knight_Sky
11-24-2004, 10:47 PM
Originally posted by Zman179
Nope, sorry.

That's quite alright.

I had suspected the other Zman (Trackmaster) was based on the left coast. ;)

fouroneone
11-27-2004, 05:46 PM
Thanks for the info.....

there was a great op-ed article in the NY POST Today on the Sate of NYC OTB.....here it is

November 27, 2004 -- Under Mayor David Dinkins, New York City's Off-Track Betting operation was known as the only bookie in the world that could lose money.
That's because, well, it was.

Looks like it's becoming that again.

OTB Chairman David Cornstein has said the city's betting house won't be able to pay its bills within five months.

Time for Mayor Bloomberg to replant that for-sale sign that Rudy Giuliani once put up on OTB's front lawn.

True, Mayor Mike took OTB off the market soon after assuming office. The operation, he was betting, would be a major source of revenue for the city.

"You don't run a business to sell it," Ray Casey, who had just been tapped to be OTB's president, said at the time. "You run a business to make money."

Mayor Mike must have backed the wrong horse.

As Cornstein suggests, the operation is going broke.

True, a chief complaint is that the state siphons off a good chunk of the city's take. Last year, some $89 million — of about $200 million in city revenues from OTB — went to the racing industry.

The city's piece has been somewhere south of $40 million — and last year OTB suffered a net loss on operations of nearly $11 million, according to City Comptroller Bill Thompson.

Even if the money-sharing woes could be fixed, the broader question remains: Why in the world is the city in the gambling business?

Governments should rarely operate any commercial business — let alone one that abets addiction and contributes to personal fiscal tragedies.

Especially if it loses money.

Giuliani came close to selling OTB before leaving office. But state lawmakers — beholden to unions that opposed the sale — stalled the deal.

Now, with interest in horse-racing down and the city OTB headed for the red, potential buyers may not be willing to plunk down as much as they once did.

So be it. Sell it anyway. Gotham needs to get out of the racetrack-gambling business, even if it can't get top dollar any more for OTB.

It can't seem to ensure the operation's profitability. And it sure doesn't do anyone any good to have the city contributing to a social vice.

Mayor Mike should move quickly to cut his losses — and kick government's gambling addiction, once and for all.

http://www.nypost.com/postopinion/editorial/35121.htm

PaceAdvantage
11-27-2004, 05:51 PM
Social vice?

Interest in horse racing down??

Addiction and contributes to personal fiscal tragedies????

Talk about biased from the start!

fouroneone
11-27-2004, 06:37 PM
i noticed that too, i wonder if that is what people really think.

and also, the NY Post is no bastion of free and fair journalism. It is about as close to the national enquirer as you can get, and still be called a newspaper.

fouroneone
11-27-2004, 07:20 PM

FYI, I have just about completely discontinued wagering with NYCOTB and now use Brisbet for my action. Even when I'm in an OTB branch.

May I ask why?

Zman179
11-27-2004, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by fouroneone
May I ask why?

Because Brisbet (AmericaTab) makes it known that they desire my business. Among other things their customer service is absolutely top notch, they give me free past performances for the flats, free deposits and super quick (and free) withdrawals, and they occasionally have some good promotions too.

What does NYCOTB do to desire my business? Not a damn &*!@#% thing. You could bet $10,000 in a day and they wouldn't even give you a free program. Their clerks (conveniently shielded by bulletproof glass) are infamous for being the nastiest employees in all of horse racing. And when you bet at the windows, they sock you in the gut with a 6% surcharge on your winnings.

Why in the world would I want to give my business to NYCOTB with what I get in return? When I'm in a branch, I bet with Brisbet via the phone.

The only time that I bet with NYCOTB is when I bet on the races at Finger Lakes and Balmoral Park only because OTB is essentially my only vehicule to bet these tracks. Otherwise, they can bite me.

Zman179
12-01-2004, 02:58 PM
OTB news

The good news: NYCOTB will once again be taking Mountaineer starting this Sunday, December 5th.

The bad news: It'll only be available on Sundays.

fouroneone
12-01-2004, 04:26 PM
OTB news

The good news: NYCOTB will once again be taking Mountaineer starting this Sunday, December 5th.

The bad news: It'll only be available on Sundays.

their sundays were VERY weak as of late, after about 8pm Balmoral was the only track they were simulcasting, so i guess any news is good news.

I still think they should pick up Australia A and B seven nights a week, like many outlets do, instead of just Thur Fri and Sat.

I cant imagine australiaracing would be charging high fees for the signal.

Zman179
12-01-2004, 04:43 PM
Two words my friend:

INTERNET BETTING

After you've watched and wagered on the races on the internet with either a DSL or a Cable Modem connection on a full screen picture, you would care less what OTB offers. Heck, even Youbet on dial-up is cool.

There's nothing like the luxury of creating your own racing schedule.
You want to watch Churchill on a Saturday in your home? Boom.
There's a 15 inch blizzard outside, and all of the OTB's have remained closed for the day? Who gives a rat's ass.
You want Mountaineer five nights a week or Australia every single night of the week? Whoomp, there it is.

OTB won't give it's customers what they'd like to bet on? Screw 'em.

TOOZ
12-02-2004, 07:16 AM
Yes, it looks like I am going to have to sign up with Youbet just to get the feeds of the races. Last night NYCOTB was taking bets for Charlestown, Woodbine, Delta, and Penn National. On the TV in quad format, Meadowlands, Northfield, Saratoga Harness, and Delta. If I can't watch it, I can't bet it. Got a good night's sleep though.

fouroneone
12-02-2004, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by TOOZ
Yes, it looks like I am going to have to sign up with Youbet just to get the feeds of the races. Last night NYCOTB was taking bets for Charlestown, Woodbine, Delta, and Penn National. On the TV in quad format, Meadowlands, Northfield, Saratoga Harness, and Delta. If I can't watch it, I can't bet it. Got a good night's sleep though.

I have never understood OTB's obsession with northfield.

The track runs about 10 $2,000 claiming races a night, but it is ALWAYS on TV......at least 5 nights a week.

fouroneone
12-07-2004, 07:54 PM
So,

I just got an email back from Ray Casey,
and i must admit, i am quite impressed that they are answering every email.

Here are a few of the details Ray touched on in the email.

#1 - Hawthorne was dropped for good as a business decision.

#2 - They may look into getting a contract for Australia 7 nights a week, and will do it if the costs are low enough, however it will only be through ATAB, as it would be too expensive for live operators just for that signal.

#3 - They are looking into Possible VOD with Digital Cable for Channels 71/73 a la TVG.

Zman179
12-07-2004, 08:17 PM
Unreal.

Hawthorne was dropped as a business decision. Never mind the fact that the signal is popular thanks to it's full fields. They probably dropped it because Hawthorne wanted ¼% more for their signal. Remember, these are the same people that dropped Mountaineer even though right now it is the most popular nighttime thoroughbred signal in the country and the second most popular overall behind The Meadowlands trots.

I would be very happy if I were to read that NYCOTB was facing bankruptcy. I hate them with a passion. Even if they offered interactive betting, I would still bet with Brisbet.

fouroneone
12-11-2004, 08:48 PM
As of Last Night NYC OTB Has lost the signal to:

Penn National
Charles Town
Saratoga Harness
Sam Houston

They will still accept wagers on the above tracks

fouroneone
12-11-2004, 09:44 PM
ignore my last post, looks like someone pointed this out a couple days ago, sorry!

in the words of Homer Simpson "D'oh"