PDA

View Full Version : Thanksgiving Day NFL

andicap
11-23-2004, 09:19 AM
Any of you NFL guys have opinions on the Turkey Day games.

They look like crap but you want at least a token bet on them to keep it interesting.

Colts -9 at Detroit. (Give up 9 points on the road! But Detroit is playing poorly at home, Harrington seems lost and the Colts are a great dome team. On other hand Detroit always seems to play well on Thanksgiving).

Bears + 3.5 at Dallas -- I'm leaning toward taking the points. Dallas ain't Indy and Vinnie Testaverde ain't Peyton Manning. Bears usually manage to stay close against teams in their class and Dallas seems headed in the wrong direction. On the other had Urlacher is out for 4-6 weeks and no way does Parcells want to be embarrassed on national TV.

Teasers are a sucker bet but since I lack strong feelings I might play a fun bet taking Colts -3 and Bears +9.5.

At a site I used to use they had a neat bet called "Pleasers," which are the opposite of teasers and paid handsome odds if you won. For example you'd have to hit two games giving up the 6 points instead of getting them. So you'd bet Colts -15 and Bears giving 2 1/2 points. But it would pay 5-1 or so.

Valuist
11-23-2004, 09:32 AM
I like the UNDER in the Colts/Lions game. Lions O is having some problems. 3 of their TDs in the past 2 games have been on returns; defensively they held Minnesota to 8 points for 3 and a half quarters. Detroit also has a situational edge here since they are used to playing on T-Giving every year; Indy is not. But Indy is so sharp right now, I won't go against them so I'm passing the side. Colts D has looked better the L2 weeks; granted the Bears have no O but the Lions don't have much other than Roy Williams. This number is 9 higher than the Colts game last week? Thats silly because the Lions have trouble scoring themselves.

sq764
11-23-2004, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by andicap
Any of you NFL guys have opinions on the Turkey Day games.

They look like crap but you want at least a token bet on them to keep it interesting.

Colts -9 at Detroit. (Give up 9 points on the road! But Detroit is playing poorly at home, Harrington seems lost and the Colts are a great dome team. On other hand Detroit always seems to play well on Thanksgiving).

Bears + 3.5 at Dallas -- I'm leaning toward taking the points. Dallas ain't Indy and Vinnie Testaverde ain't Peyton Manning. Bears usually manage to stay close against teams in their class and Dallas seems headed in the wrong direction. On the other had Urlacher is out for 4-6 weeks and no way does Parcells want to be embarrassed on national TV.

Teasers are a sucker bet but since I lack strong feelings I might play a fun bet taking Colts -3 and Bears +9.5.

At a site I used to use they had a neat bet called "Pleasers," which are the opposite of teasers and paid handsome odds if you won. For example you'd have to hit two games giving up the 6 points instead of getting them. So you'd bet Colts -15 and Bears giving 2 1/2 points. But it would pay 5-1 or so.

I don't care how bad the Bears are, how in the world can Dallas be giving anyone points?? They are one of the worst teams I can remember in recent history.. They gave up 30 points to the Ravens!!

Valuist
11-23-2004, 11:23 AM
I would tend to agree, although Krenzel at QB going up against that Dallas D might the resistable object going against the movable force. Maybe the under is the play there as well. When 2 bad teams meet, they often struggle to score.

sq764
11-23-2004, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by Valuist
I would tend to agree, although Krenzel at QB going up against that Dallas D might the resistable object going against the movable force. Maybe the under is the play there as well. When 2 bad teams meet, they often struggle to score.

Well, to me, Dallas is like that 0 for 15 maiden who looks like he is the best in today's maiden claimer, but I bet against him anyway.. If he beats me, he beats me..

I would look at the under if not for one simple fact.. Dallas's secondary is comprised of mostly practice squad players who would have a tough time covering most top college receivers.

Valuist
11-23-2004, 11:49 AM
Amazingly, Dallas had a good defense last year.

I love to bet against those Mdn Claiming types who often run second or third and have superior figures to class droppers. I'll take the droppers every time.

kenwoodallpromos
11-23-2004, 01:30 PM
Bears by 10.
Lions by 15.

Tom
11-23-2004, 10:34 PM
Bears over Boys
Lions eat the Colts.

Valuist
11-24-2004, 10:19 AM
The total has been bet up from 53 to 54 but the moneyline suggests its going back the other way. If you're going to bet the under, do it now (if your outlet has the total at 54) before it goes back to 53.5.

sq764
11-24-2004, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by Valuist
The total has been bet up from 53 to 54 but the moneyline suggests its going back the other way. If you're going to bet the under, do it now (if your outlet has the total at 54) before it goes back to 53.5.

I say Bears 24, Cowgirls 17

Colts 38, Lions 17