PDA

View Full Version : Pat Cabell and ATM

edek
11-22-2004, 03:57 PM
I was recently introduced to some of the writings of Pat Cabell who wrote for American Turf Monthly (the articles I have are from the 60's).

He was a speed/pace handicapper whose ratings utilize velocity. One article discusses the energy expended by a horse. He uses the square of velocity for energy comparisons which to me makes better "physics" since the equation for energy IS proprtional to the square of velocity.

He also mentions "friction" or energy loss which he calculates as an exponant of velocity (he uses the constant 4).

This is some of the earliest writings that I have found. He was way ahead of his time. Has anyone else come accross any of his writings?

JimL
11-22-2004, 04:48 PM
I agree with you he was way ahead of his time. To be honest with you with his advanced pace principles he was way ahead of me and probably most ATM, readers.

Having said the above I do have all of his pace power articles and I plan to start re-reading them tonight. I used them several years ago and was pleased with the results.

Pat Cabell, has been discussed before on the forum. You might try a search. JimL

edek
11-22-2004, 05:29 PM
JimL,
Just did a search and found the thread. Thanks for the heads up.

Don't know why I did not find it before (must have mispelled Cabell).

I was missing the initial article that discussed the Time Index chart. From the thread I learned of an article in the book Trasury of American Turf. I have it!

Ed

upthecreek
11-01-2012, 12:51 PM
Ive purchased 3 from ATM IM looking for more especially the article on Route Pace(ATM doesnt have it anymore)
Im willing to trade And/or purchase
Thanks!

upthecreek
11-14-2012, 08:02 AM
Who sent me the Pat Cabell info thanks! Ive seemed to lost your email and email address Thanks again!