PDA

View Full Version : 'Action Bets'

sq764
03-24-2002, 09:00 PM
I think this post is solely to make myself feel better, but I was curious how many people 'slip' at the track and put in 1, 2 or more ill-advised 'action bets' while at the track??

When I am at home wagering, I am pretty disciplined, but since I only get to the track once, maybe twice a week, I become a little more 'anxious'..

Scott

andicap
03-25-2002, 08:25 AM
I certainly do, much do my chagrin. Although much much fewer now since we have simulcasting. At the track, I can fully concentrate on two tracks at once. Three is just too much especially since the post times tend to overlap.
Hard to sit around on your hands when you don't go that often....

Dick Schmidt
03-26-2002, 03:52 AM
SQ,

One of the things I had to convince myself of when I began to try to make a living at the track was that there is no such thing as an "action" bet. Nor is there a "prime" bet, a "fun" bet, A great bet or a "pass the time" bet. There are just bets. Each is a part of your play, and each influences your bottom line. A dollar lost "for fun" is just as lost as a dollar lost on your bet-of-the-day. They all count just the same.

Dick

sq764
03-26-2002, 08:37 AM
I think this is what keeps me from 'the black' for the year.. I just don't have the patience to not only wait for the time between races, but to skip 2 or 3 more..

But I think I am in touch with the fact that I go there for a good time. If I leave there down $50 after a few hours and 8 beers, I am happy..

GR1@HTR
03-26-2002, 08:46 AM
Action bets is like masturbation. Almost everybody does it and no one wants to admit to it. If you say you don't do it, then good chance you are lying.

Derek2U
03-26-2002, 10:19 AM
I never make action bets ... when i do go to the track to see
real horses i bring my laptop & a paper to read & my lunch
(Tuna on russian rye w/ alfalfa sprouts ... no mayo & a diet
Dr Pepper) : Also, sometimes i chant ... which seems very
calming to the horses but not to the players.

When the time is right, i strike: $3.00 to Show on my pick.

Also, I go only when i got a coupon for free admission & parking;
and I also wait & take someone's program when their busy
making a action bet or something.

TY.

rrbauer
03-26-2002, 12:15 PM
I certainly agree with Dick Schmidt that a dollar lost is a lost dollar.

It's been important for me to be in touch with the attitude that is driving the betting behavior when I place the bet. If I'm just effing around, killing time, then what am I doing with this $50 ticket? In a race that I don't even like!

I think also that if you're just bumping along, race by race, without a plan of attack for the card(s) that you're playing that you're going to take the worst of it. It's pretty dumb to find your best betting opportunity, 5 minutes before post time, in the 9th race; and, look back over the day and see all of those minus signs; then reach in your pocket and find that your bankroll is down to $18!

hurrikane
03-26-2002, 02:39 PM
I don't masturbate. :D

rrbauer
03-29-2002, 04:40 AM
I ran across this tonight. It ties into the Action Bets thread.

http://www.icapper.com/carrollArt5.html

kitts
03-29-2002, 09:19 PM
I used to make a lot of "any old bet" but I learned my lesson. After handicapping and before betting, I would write down my bets and not add to them or change them unless the value changed. Since I have moved to Las Vegas and am starting to play more mutiple tracks with overlap in post times I, thankfully, have minimal time for the "action bet"

JimG
03-31-2002, 02:54 PM
With my compulsive personality, "action" bets are very prevelant. I work very hard just trying to break even on the action bets. I know I will always make them...I'm too much like Beyer in that regard. The difference between now and many years ago is I lose much less on them over a long period of time. Fortunately, I do tend to make a profit over the long haul on serious bets.

Jim