PDA

View Full Version : Opinions Versus Ideals

sq764
11-16-2004, 10:34 AM
I think this year’s campaign has obviously showed that people have different views and stances on certain hot subjects. What I don’t understand is why people think you have to be uniform across the board on issues..

For instance, if you are against abortion, why do you automatically have to be against stem cell research?

If you are for gay marriage, do you automatically have to be for or against prayer in school??

I think part of the issue is that people are getting tagged as Democrats or Republicans or fanatical Christians or extremists, etc.. And because of that, they are automatically assumed to have a standard stance on the hot issues..

Personally, I am for abortion, but I am also for stem cell research. Does this make me confused, hypocritical, crazy??

Show Me the Wire
11-16-2004, 10:55 AM
I am for individual and state rights, as long as those rights, do not impact on the general welfare of the public.

As an example I am morally opposed to abortion, but I will not deny someone the right to make a decision regarding their life and body. Life is about making choices and accepting the consequences of those choices, whatever they may be.

Regards,
Show Me the Wire

Lefty
11-16-2004, 12:08 PM
sq, was your last sentence a typo? Read again. If you are for abortion and stem cell research that's consistent, since the embryo stem cells come from aborted fetus'

sq764
11-16-2004, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by Lefty
sq, was your last sentence a typo? Read again. If you are for abortion and stem cell research that's consistent, since the embryo stem cells come from aborted fetus'

My point was that I can agree with one of Bush's stances, but be against the other.. I don't have to be for or against both..

Lefty
11-16-2004, 12:31 PM
sq, Bush is against abortion; you said you were for it. Bush is against federally funded stemcell research except on a limited basis. So unless your orig statement was a typo you seem to against Bush on both counts.

sq764
11-16-2004, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by Lefty
sq, Bush is against abortion; you said you were for it. Bush is against federally funded stemcell research except on a limited basis. So unless your orig statement was a typo you seem to against Bush on both counts.

He is against full fledged stem cell research, but for it in many capacities..

I think we are getting offtrack of the original point of the thread..

Lefty
11-16-2004, 12:59 PM
I think I get where you're coming from now. Bush has been demonized by the left for being against stemcell research. But it's not true. He's the only Pres to ever allocate any federal funds for stem cell research and he's not opposed to private stem cell research. Back to the point of the thread: I am against abortion but have no quarrel with privately funded stem cell research.

superfecta
11-16-2004, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by sq764
I think this year’s campaign has obviously showed that people have different views and stances on certain hot subjects. What I don’t understand is why people think you have to be uniform across the board on issues..

For instance, if you are against abortion, why do you automatically have to be against stem cell research?

If you are for gay marriage, do you automatically have to be for or against prayer in school??

I think part of the issue is that people are getting tagged as Democrats or Republicans or fanatical Christians or extremists, etc.. And because of that, they are automatically assumed to have a standard stance on the hot issues..

Personally, I am for abortion, but I am also for stem cell research. Does this make me confused, hypocritical, crazy??

I think a majority of people are all over the board on certain issues and what makes it more difficult is they are either ignorant of what they believe or misinformed on what the issues are about.
for example,someone who is against all abortions has never had to deal with an ectopic pregnancy in their family.Or someone who thinks gays are making a choice has never thought of the possibility that the gay person may have a genetic difference in their ability to choose a sex partner.Or until they meet a gay person.
So the problem is how the public is portayed in the media,trying to pigeonhole everyone into a specific group,and the public trying to get into specific groups rather than taking each issue important to them and making the informed choice to form a solid opinion.