PDA

View Full Version : Bumbling Beltway Airheads

boxcar
03-23-2002, 03:20 PM
As some of us know, it's fashionable in today's culture to disavow any responsiblity for our actions. We were treated to more than a taste of this unfortunate fact recently by Andrea Yates' husband. This forked-tongue low-life glibly stated repeatedly out of one side of his mouth that he _knew_ how sick his wife was -- that he _knew_ she was was mentally ill in a serious way, etc., etc. But then he turns right around to pin blame for her horrorific deeds on everyone but himself. In short, he knew his wife was one sick puppy, yet thought nothing of leaving her home alone with the kids, or worse yet, fathering more kids with her after being warned by doctors that they should avoid having more children. Everyone was at fault except for him and his wife.

Very sadly, our politicians are just as intellectually dishonest as Yates' hubby, as you'll plainly see in the article below. These are the same elitist, holier-than-thou, better-than-thou, know-it-alls, who with their predecessors for nearly a century now, have helped create this Monster Tax System. These are the people who write the tax laws -- yet, behold how incredulous they become when coroporations LAWFULLY take advantage of the loopholes these legislators themselves have created!

Now, these Bumbling Airheads are rattling their swords, threatening to reign in their Monster by closing this huge gaping tax loophole. Little do these blathering idiots know, of course, that the entire tax system generally, and closing this loophole specifically is not only anti-American and anti-Capitalism, but it's an anti-productive, self-defeating and incentive-killing economic strategy. If I were a stockholder or an employee of such a corporation, I certainly would prefer that the tax money saved by such loopholes be reinvested into the corporation for all the obvious reasons.

Below is the link to the N.Y Times article. Read and weep what these self-righteous dunderheads say about these terrible, "greedy" corporations, which they're naturally blaming for this situation.

Boxcar

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/03/22/b...17878633&ei=1&en=34a86251a4bb342a

Lefty
03-23-2002, 08:53 PM
Boxcar, most people don't give a damn because they see corporations as some big enity...they don't know that corps are composed of 1000's of people, stockholders and employees. Corporations are ...us.

Tom
03-23-2002, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by Lefty
[Corporations are ...us. [/B]

Unless you work for Enron, Global Crossing, K Mart, Ames, Xerox, Kodak.......there you are just a number, and just an expense.

Tom

boxcar
03-23-2002, 11:05 PM
Hey, Tom, did I detect a wee bit of anti-capitalism in your note?

Boxcar

Tom
03-24-2002, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by boxcar
Hey, Tom, did I detect a wee bit of anti-capitalism in your note?

Boxcar

Not at all. I'm still a conserrvative but I think a lot of people are starting to hide behind that mask who are really just selfish liars and cheaters. Some of our more prominent "conservatives" are about as true to the cause as a hooker is to a trick the next morning. I think it is like that little frog-like husband of Tammy Fay Baker....Jimmy?. Likening him to Christianity is like saying amputation is a cure for leg cramps.
Sorry if I offended by sounding "liberal" ~G~

:rolleyes: Tom :rolleyes:

boxcar
03-24-2002, 11:52 AM
Sadly, crooks, thieves and liars come in all political shapes, sizes, stripes and colors. Human nature is what it is -- quite flawed, in my opinion, making no one immune to character deficiencies in any sector of our society.

Today's "conservatives" are looking more and more like Democrats. It's already difficult to distinquish between the ideology and agendas of many Repubs and DemRats. Both parties are starting to blend in together quite nicely <GAG>.

And I blame both parties (secondarily) for most of the major ills of this country. It just amazes me how so many people can't or won't see that today we don't have a government of the people, for the peoople and by the people. Most politicians really don't care one iota about us. Their only concerns are their own political hides. (A recent great example of what I'm talking about can be seen in Condit's disgusting and shameful decision to enter the Primary race in spite of the scandal surrounding him.)

But since I'm assigning blame to people, above all WE must bear the lion's share of the blame for the current state of affairs in this country. We have become a lazy, apathetic, indifferent people content to let the crooked politicians put the chains of slavery on us and lead us around like puppy dogs. We are a nation without any moral certitude simply reaping now what we have sown over the years.

Boxcar

Lefty
03-24-2002, 12:33 PM
The problem is that the founding fathers never meant for politics to become a lifetime career for anyone. The idea was to do your "turn" in congress and then go back to you "reg." life. Even Davey Crockett did a stint as a congressman and then he went back to the wood, so to speak. The time has come (long time ago)
for term limits and end the careers of these lifetime "leeches"

boxcar
03-24-2002, 09:59 PM
Lefty, you've hit on one of the three really hot issues that we should force the politicians to address by passing legislation that would affect fundamental changes to the political system, i.e. fundamental reforms with respect to term limits, campaign finance and the tax laws. The best the vast majority of politicans want to do is simply tinker around the edges, such as they've done with the latest campign finance "reform" bill that El Presidente will soon sign into law. (What a joke!)

Since the limit of two terms is good enough for the President, why isn't it good enough for all elected officials? This kind of law would put an abrupt end to careers in politics, would it not?
In fact, I'd go even one better and change all terms to four years, including that of Senators. Why should a Senator get to serve a term that lasts for 6 years? Who made these eltitist Senators as gods!?

As for campaign finance, I would prohibit any entity who is not a VOTING entity from contributing money directly or indirectly to any candidate. This would leave corporations out in the cold where they belong with respect to this issue. Further, I would set strict but reasonable limits on the amount of money so that the wealthy among us would not be able to buy an election.

As for Special Interest Groups, they would be permitted to donate only to a Party of their choice with all donations carefully monitored (by law) so that once again, Corporations would not have a say in the political process since Corporations don't vote.

Moreover, ALL political parties should be heard and be given equal time. Where in the Constitution does it say that we're limited to only two parties?

Everyone here knows where I stand on tax reform.
We need to axe the current anti-American, anti-Capitalism, Marxist system and replace it with the Fair Tax, which would be a consumption-based and constitutional tax system. This system would be entirely compatible with Capitalism. In fact, many leading econimists believe that if we were to implement this type of taxation system, we would experience unprecedented economic growth in a relatively short period of time.

Finally, I'd be remiss to not mention the grave moral state of this nation. We have, for the most part, lost our moral compass. We have many misplaced moral priorities. Many of us no longer give a flip about the character of our politicians or national leaders. Whenever someone points to the serious character flaws of a Clinton, a Condit, a Jesse Jackson, etc., the first thing the supporters of these people will say is, "But look at their political accomplishements..." Many simply care about the political gains their elected officials have made and refuse to look any deeper into character-based issues.

And we have become a very clever nation -- clever at employing convenient euphimisms when it suits our purposes. We talk about a woman's "right to choose over her body", when in fact many women callously choose to willfully murder the human life/body within their womb. That's what they're _really_ choosing, is it not?

If I were to take a hammer and smash a bald eagle's egg into hundreds of pieces, I would face a very stiff fine, not to mention a long prison sentence for committing that FELONY! In this country, the life of the unhatched bald eagle is far more valuable and more precious than the life of the unborn child. (This is what I mean by "misplaced moral priorties". I could give numerous such examples.)

If this nation were to ever get its moral priorities in order, and insist upon fundamental reforms in the three political areas mentioned above, we would once again stand to regain some of our former greatness. But in the absence of such changes, we will simply continue, at an accelerated pace, on our downard moral decline.

Boxcar

Lefty
03-24-2002, 10:15 PM
Well said, Boxcar. Campaign finance reform gives the "edge" to demos and leaves the elephants in the cold. It gives the power to the media. Imagine this: Two days before the election Brokaw, Jennings and Rather ea. interview a demo and ask his views.
Since they are liberal they can stifle the Republicans.
Don't know why Bush is signing this "crap"
I think Supreme court will once again "strike it down" as a free speech issue. They better or these dumbass Republicans are gonna wonder what the hell happened..,