PDA

View Full Version : PacePlus ver1.4

omar2
01-17-2021, 11:31 PM
Does anyone use or have used this program. every few times i open the fps screen portion of the program i keep getting a run-time error "5": invalid procedure call or argument.
every time i uninstall and re-install the program after x amount of times using the program it keeps giving me the same error and keeps closing.
I have access to the other 2 screens of the program.
Any suggestions on how to fix??
If anybody knows how to get into the program let me know. Just send me your email address and i will send you the setup files for the program via Google Drive. It's really a good program but i have no luck with the programmer who seems unwilling to do the FIX.
If anyone knows how to get into the program, let me know and i'll try to figure it out myself. I'm not a programmer but i am quite smart.
Please respond.
Omar

acorn54
01-17-2021, 11:57 PM
off the top of my head, without a google search of the run time error you are getting, i would suggest always opening the program with the "run as administrator" function of windows.

omar2
01-18-2021, 12:18 AM
Tried that, same result.

fast4522
01-18-2021, 02:37 AM
Two main screens, the first one is junk. I used the PacePlus trial to make a neat PP Generator with TPR's better than the program had that was fixed. Updating the pars I lost interest after the second year. I found Pace Makes the Race (book) superior to a program that does not have the update of pars as a option.

theotherside
01-18-2021, 10:59 AM
On the Pace plus program how do you get the pps up? Does the program itself display the pps?

lefty359
01-18-2021, 01:27 PM
Is this the RPM prgm? If so, did you ask Dave Powers for help. Generally I have found he will help and if you are dissatisfied he will honor a refund request.

omar2
01-18-2021, 09:48 PM
There's no pp's with the program. You can access them with by using brisnet's custom pp utility with the same single data file the program uses. I use the post time daily pp's. No it isn't an RPM program. It was developed by Kenneth Edwards and Bill Collins (programmer). Website is paceeval.com.
If anyone knows the formulas for calculating Deceleration and Pace Class that would be helpful to me. Thanks. Omar

Speed Figure
01-19-2021, 12:04 AM
I believe that the deceleration is F1 - F3. I'm not use about the PC rating.

omar2
01-19-2021, 03:08 AM
Thanks. You were almost right. I double checked it but it's F3-F1=Deceleration.
Now I just have to figure out the pace class figure and I think I just did. Looking at the answers on the screen for PC it seems to be TWICE the value for AP or FW. I couldn't tell you why it is except I know that AP has to deal with CLASS, going back to my early Sartin days back in 1984.

As far as TPR numbers go I try to keep things as simple as possible. I'm not interested in calculating a PERFECT NUMBER by incorporating daily variants or half variants or par times. All I try to do is use the BEST TPR number in SPRINTS and the BEST FFR number in ROUTES when choosing the Pace Line for each horsey in the race. Just keep things simple. Try and use the best race when comparing horses to each other. That I learned from MR. RAY TAULBOT. Back then he had his way of measuring pace and speed, today we have BETTER ways, PERIOD.
If I think the horse's best race is no longer RELEVANT, meaning I don't think he can run back to that higher class race with that best number then I have to adjust my thinking as to what company the horse is best suited for today and use that best race. AND I always try to use a race where the horse was COMPETITIVE, but if the horse is a dead closer and only runs SUSTAINED, for him or her that's a competitive race. CASE IN POINT: ZENYATTA. Do you think all her races were competitive- you betcha!

I may be no good in calculating numbers, but I'm very good in EVALUATING READOUTS, knowing what to look for.
Later, Omar.

theotherside
01-19-2021, 07:12 AM
Omar2...I have the same problem! Have you found the solution?

omar2
01-19-2021, 09:38 AM
What I do is this and believe me it sucks, first i save all my files to separate folders-bris download, drf data and pp data. Next i uninstall the program; then re-install it. If you don't save your files first you'll lose 'em.
what i'm trying now is not putting back all those pp data files, maybe it's overloading the program???. Then hope it lasts awhile.
My only other option is to use HTR2, but i don't want to spend $119/mo., because I only look at 2 tracks per day, weekends only, BUT like Sean Connery says: Never Say Never.
Are you using the same program?

lefty359
01-19-2021, 12:52 PM
I dl'd the trial. Just another ripoff of old Doc Sartin.

lefty359
01-19-2021, 02:28 PM
I don't see a price on website. Can someone fill me in?

omar2
01-19-2021, 03:07 PM
It says $399 plus $6 S&H.
I had bought both versions 4 years apart. When I purchased the updated version Bill says he doesn't have me on file. When I emailed him last year that I needed a replacement CD, mine was scratched, again he says I'm not registered and wanted to charge me $75. I told him forget it.

lefty359
01-19-2021, 06:35 PM
I'd say $399 pretty expensive for a pgrm like this.
But I wish you nothing but the best with it.

Speed Figure
01-19-2021, 06:48 PM
I saw $149 + $6 for shipping.

lefty359
01-19-2021, 07:32 PM
speed, was that on the website? I didn't see it, but that price would be more in the ballpark, i'd say.

Speed Figure
01-19-2021, 07:39 PM
I think this is the same software.
http://paceeval.com/PEPurchase.html

lefty359
01-19-2021, 07:41 PM
I went back to site and found the price. In fact I found 4 of them for 4 iterations of the prgm.

Pace Eval Plus $149
Pace Plus $399
Pace Plus Enhanced $449
Pace Plus Value Plays $99.
Plus $6 shipping.

theotherside
01-19-2021, 10:51 PM
The owner passed away some time ago and I believe though the website is up the software cant be bought.

Speed Figure
01-19-2021, 11:02 PM
The owner passed away some time ago and I believe though the website is up the software cant be bought.I went back and checked some old emails and he did indeed pass away. I had sent an email though the site thinking that the owner was the programmer. I received an email back stating that Kenneth who defined the algorithms passed away several years ago. I believe you could still purchase it on the website as the programmer Bill replied to my email. This was Jan 19 and Bill was 75 at the time.

fast4522
01-19-2021, 11:09 PM
I'd say $399 pretty expensive for a pgrm like this.
But I wish you nothing but the best with it.

Any seasoned hard core Sartin schooled survivor used the evaluation period to determine that $399 progie was no better than what they already had with Dick Schmidt & Tom Hambleton's work. The examples these guys put out were so easy to program into spreadsheets and many people on this forum did. I referenced PP Generator in this thread but did not really say I wrote one that included the TPR number. During that time period I exchanged mail with Dick Schmidt and told him about it saying that it was for personal use only, he was OK with that and said his interests were then with forex trading or something like that. During that time period I sent examples to Elliott Sidewater and a few others here getting good comments and suggestions. My suggestion is forget about programs that never really had a following, and instead look to the ones that are still alive.

headhawg
01-20-2021, 08:14 AM
My suggestion is forget about programs that never really had a following, and instead look to the ones that are still alive.Exactly. Well said, fast. I don't understand the fascination with old, unsupported software unless it produces some kind of proprietary number that is still viable in today's handicapping game.

omar2
01-20-2021, 02:38 PM
One more point about that error 5 code. I recently was running my Program under windows 7 and every time I encountered that error I would google search for a solution and Each time it would refer me to the registry and I would change this value and that value. Eventually the computer would not function right and I had to run system restore. Well the first time I tried that, the program worked for an extended period and then WHAMMO- error 5 again. So i said to myself I'll do system restore again. This time the program worked for awhile and error 5 again. Each time I ran system restore the error showed up faster and faster, like the program was trying to out think me. I will not give in to a machine. If it won't let me use the FPS/velocity screen, fine I will find another program with the same screen like MPH PRO to get the info I need. I've made up models for GP, TAM,OP,KEE, some Aqu, Lrl,CD,Bel and Fg. I know what wins at each distance/surface at these Tracks. The other 2 screens with PacePlus I can access, no problem. Is it going to take me a little more time,yeah. Is it going to cost me a few $$ more,yeah. I will not let a non thinking machine beat me. Handicapping is tough enough. I'm not going to let a non thinking program out think me!!
Omar

lefty359
01-20-2021, 06:32 PM
I emailed the address given 3 times but never got an answer. Too bad as I

went through the prgm tday and like what I saw. I was thinking about buying the 149 ver.

Interesting about putting what was in the book ino a spread sheet but don't know how to do that as I know bupkas about Spread sheets.

omar2
01-20-2021, 11:44 PM
Spreadsheets are easy. You just label the columns, and either copy the info from the screen you want to model. By copying the fps for f1,f2,c2,f3 I can then calculate the sartin energy values that I want to model. Eg. Med%. If you know the formula easy. Each column has a letter,each row has a number. Let's say f1=column E,f2 =column F and f3=column H, then you enter the formula in the first row under the heading Med% as follows: =(e2+f2)/(e2+f2+h2)*100. Once you see the answer you click on that box, hold the shift key and press the down arrow for as many rows u need to calculate. Then click the end of the formula box and hit ctrl + enter, and now the formula calculates the value each row in that column. Formulas in excel always Start with an = sign.
Anything u need to know about excel,just ask google search and then read your answer. U can even Watch it on YouTube video.
Sometimes it takes that guy 7-10 days to read his emails and respond. I know if I had a program I wanted to sell I would answer you right away. I use Office 2013. I paid $50/$60 on website called PCdestination.com for a life time license.
Sometimes my brain needs a rest so I'll nap from 3pm till I Awake.
Omar

omar2
01-21-2021, 01:38 AM
ok. the $149 price is for the OLDER program with just the 1 screen with just the TPR numbers. I have both versions but I use the PacePlus with the 3 screens.

omar2
01-21-2021, 02:05 AM
ok. the $149 price is for the OLDER program with just the 1 screen with just the TPR numbers. I have both versions but I use the PacePlus with the 3 screens.
The problem with this version is if u mark a horse as a scratch and then use the print function, program only prints a blank page and closes. However if u just hide the horse then it prints fine. Another point is i let's say u print 3 selected races, after each race it gives u a blank page, 6 races, 6 blank pages. Print out all the races, only 1 blank extra page.
When I brought this to the programmers attention he said he's too busy to correct the problem. Imagine that. Did not have this problem with the $149 version, besides you if u want that older program I can let u have it for $39 and
send it to u over Google Drive, no s&h. My email is nbroat@yahoo.com if you're interested.
The main problem with with the version i'm using is after awhile using that fps screen, without warning i get that invalid argument error 5 code. Then to use that screen again u have to uninstall/reinstall the program but u can still access
the other 2 screens without a problem.

lefty359
01-22-2021, 09:38 PM
Omar, It's a deal. I sent you an email. Let me know the arrangements.
Chuck

oswaldrha
01-24-2021, 12:15 AM
Hi Chuck (and everyone else),
If you're still interested in using an old school Phase III style program, you might want to take a look at this. It's basically a modernized version of Tom Brohamer's MPH program.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/THE-EQUALIZER-2-1-Thoroughbred-Handicapping-Software-Modern-Pace-Handicapping/322612393175?hash=item4b1d3274d7:g:vNEAAOSwsW9YyDB P

lefty359
01-24-2021, 07:34 PM
Thanks, Oswald. I have the Equalizer.

JimG
01-24-2021, 08:24 PM
Thanks, Oswald. I have the Equalizer.

Hey Chuck,

What did you think of it?

Jim

lefty359
01-25-2021, 02:10 PM
Pretty clunky, but it gives the numbers. But the clunkiness throws me off.
Does some strange things sometimes when I try to mark the pacelines I want to use.

KPMats10
01-30-2021, 04:43 PM
Hi Chuck (and everyone else),
If you're still interested in using an old school Phase III style program, you might want to take a look at this. It's basically a modernized version of Tom Brohamer's MPH program.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/THE-EQUALIZER-2-1-Thoroughbred-Handicapping-Software-Modern-Pace-Handicapping/322612393175?hash=item4b1d3274d7:g:vNEAAOSwsW9YyDB P

Contact me direct and I will sell for cheaper than listed on eBay since I don't have to cover their fees for anyone interested.

Hopefully version 3.0 coming in 2021