PDA

View Full Version : Fundamental Handicapping Process??

sq764
11-15-2004, 12:21 PM
Are there any time-tested books/manuals/website articles out there that explain the fundamentals of handicapping? I am not speaking of those focusing only on pace or speed or pedigree, etc…

If you were a complete newbie to handicapping and you didn’t want a system or software or angles, simply a solid, step by step handicapping process that could apply to most tracks, most races, that you could use time after time after time?

Does this exist?

Valuist
11-15-2004, 12:23 PM
I would say Steve Davidowitz's book "Betting Thoroughbreds" is the best book to learn the game. He talks about a comprehensive understanding of the game, rather than just specialization.

OTM Al
11-15-2004, 01:41 PM
Agreed. Davidowitz's book is well written and can be used by the new player as well as an experienced one looking to get back to basics. Brad Free's new book, Handicapping 101 isn't bad either

headhawg
11-15-2004, 02:19 PM
I think an underrated book that meets your criteria is "Winner's File" by Henry Kuck. Covers topics like reading the past performances correctly to toteboard watching to the physicality of horses.

Rpd
11-15-2004, 03:04 PM
I agree, I actually think "Winner's File" is one of the best books written. It's not an "in" book but contains a wealth of information especially why it is important not to be ultra rigid in your handicapping.

Larry Hamilton
11-15-2004, 03:08 PM
Tell me why I should buy this book--"Winning Files". Thanks

Tom
11-16-2004, 10:25 PM
Tom Ainsle's classic is dated on some things, but overall, still has a lot of good, basic stuff in it.

thoroughbred
11-17-2004, 12:15 PM
Our web site www.revelationprofits.com under the "Documents" link has a "Handicapping" booklet. Although it's associated with CompuTrak, it is very general, and inclusive enough to be useful for handicapping beginners. It's free.

ElKabong
11-17-2004, 02:05 PM
If the beginner can get to the track often enough, I'd say to get Takach's first tape (not Beat the Beam, but the other one of his...the title escapes me for the moment).

You have to have a solid edge to beat the crowd, esp nowdays. That's hard to accomplish when you're using the same technique and method that 95% of every other handicapper uses. That's why physicality works....If everyone did it, it would suck for betting. It's also a lot harder to learn, and you pass more races than the usual capper.

I know all that Takach preaches isn't gospel, and I'm not trying to pump his products, but that tape is exceptional for learning to handicap from the paddock.

If he were to bet from home, I'd go with Davidowitz's book mentioned above.

JohnGalt1
11-18-2004, 10:15 AM
I've probably read 50 books written from the 50's to now and the most comprehensive handicapping book is William L. Scott's "Total Victory at the Track." I don't like his speed figures so the pace figures in "Pace makes the Race" are the ones I use.

These books will take you through condition, class, and speed in a structured way that you can then tweak and add things like breeding for turf and first time starters.

When I read a new book, or a thread here, I'm happy to add even one logical workable idea to my handicapping.

andicap
11-18-2004, 10:56 AM
Is turfpedia.com any good? James Quinn's site. I thought it had some fundamentals in there.

GameTheory
11-18-2004, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by jgalt1
I've probably read 50 books written from the 50's to now and the most comprehensive handicapping book is William L. Scott's "Total Victory at the Track." I don't like his speed figures so the pace figures in "Pace makes the Race" are the ones I use.

These books will take you through condition, class, and speed in a structured way that you can then tweak and add things like breeding for turf and first time starters.

When I read a new book, or a thread here, I'm happy to add even one logical workable idea to my handicapping. The idea that "Total Victory at the Track" is the most COMPREHENSIVE handicapping book you've read is unfathomable. It is an interesting book, but it is dedicated to just very small subset of ideas -- hardly comprehensive.

Now a book like the excellent aforementioned "Winner's File" by Henry Kuck is truly comprehensive. He covers virtually every handicapping topic you can name...

Tom
11-18-2004, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by andicap
Is turfpedia.com any good? James Quinn's site. I thought it had some fundamentals in there.

Lots of fundamental stuff, much from his Condition book.

socantra
11-19-2004, 11:12 AM
I got a great deal out of Jim Quinn's Recreational Handicapping. It amplifies on the information at Turfpedia, with a great deal more thrown in. I don't find much of Quinn's stuff very creative, but he pulls a lot of diverse strands together.

socantra

John
11-19-2004, 08:16 PM
Qurin's book 'Winning at the races" [ a computer study ] is my book for all times.

Speed Figure
11-19-2004, 08:41 PM
Does anyone have Quinns book "Class of the Field" for sale or trade?

Rpd
11-20-2004, 12:05 PM
Larry,

As far as why you should buy "Winner's File" by Kuck?

I just have to concurr with Game Theory. It covers almost all topics regarding handicapping thoroughbreds but in a way that looks at both sides of a factor.

Too many times, software is too rigid. I have been working on a home grown handicapping software and for the last 6 months I have been incorporating allot of his ideas into my programming making it much more flexible. The results have been great so far.

I don't know if you can buy the book (maybe on eBay). I found it at my local library and have it checked out for most of the last 9 months.

Bottom line is that he has no real rules, he believed that handicapping is using your brain.

Thanks,
Rpd

Larry Hamilton
11-20-2004, 12:09 PM
I have owned it for years and don't think as much of it as others do. I wanted someone to tell me why I should think more of it.

takeout
11-20-2004, 12:40 PM
I thought the section on post position was interesting.

Tom
11-20-2004, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by Speed Figure

I might have it...will let you know tonight.

melrose
11-21-2004, 08:08 AM
The following link describes one way to go about marking up the PP's looking for the contenders in a race;

http://turfpedia.com/process/

Would like to know how others go about breaking down a race.

Thanks

Lefty
11-21-2004, 11:44 AM
Read everything you can get your hands on that's mentioned on this board. I'd like to add Commonsense Handicapping by Mitchell and Handicapping Magician by Pizzolla.

Bill Cullen
11-21-2004, 05:29 PM
There is no fundamental handicapping process.

Tom
11-21-2004, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by Speed Figure

I sent you a PM. I have a copy for you.

oddswizard
07-21-2005, 01:05 PM
I missed the 2nd question. The class figures I use are my own so I cannot comment on the Bris class ratings. However in sprint races up to 7 furlongs any good Pace rating sytem should work. E-mail: oddswizard2@cs.com

NoDayJob
07-21-2005, 01:13 PM
:D Sounds like ya should read 'em all and develop your own handicapping method! :D

NDJ

Overlay
07-21-2005, 06:32 PM
Tom Ainsle's classic is dated on some things, but overall, still has a lot of good, basic stuff in it.

I agree that Ainslie is dated in many respects but, under the circumstances stated in the original question, where someone really had no prior background in the game, Ainslie would get my vote, too. You could refine or update your philosophy as you branch out from there, but Ainslie is where I would start.

twindouble
07-22-2005, 07:21 AM
Are there any time-tested books/manuals/website articles out there that explain the fundamentals of handicapping? I am not speaking of those focusing only on pace or speed or pedigree, etc…

If you were a complete newbie to handicapping and you didn’t want a system or software or angles, simply a solid, step by step handicapping process that could apply to most tracks, most races, that you could use time after time after time?

Does this exist?

Well, yes and no on the second paragraph. The first problem with your question is, what works at one track may not work at another. That's why I recomend beginners to concentrate on just one track to begin with. With online wagering there's huge menu out there that can spell trouble for anyones bankroll that don't know the tracks, don't matter how much experience you have. The computer speed guru's say with their software and extreme stats you can do it because they've nailed down sound variables that work. To me, it's liken to the Titanic that won't sink.

Over the years I've seen so many different ways that players approach this game it blows my mind. The funny part is someone who knows squat can on any given day make a ton of money, to begin with that's the main attraction isn't it? I can remember the first time cashing that big one, standing their while the teller was peeling off those 100 dollar bills, ran out and had to go the vault to get more. Easy money, well I wasn't so nieve to think that because early on I observed grown men break down at the track. Conclusion, there's more to the game than just getting lucky, that was just a validation of what those that were close to me brought to my attention from day one. By close to me, I mean two guys that had the experience, that I was fortunate enough to ride their coat tails while learning 44 years ago. Yes, take a back seat to begin with, don't be in a hurry to be top dog, chuck the ego and your tail will be out straight, not between your legs.

As far as I'm concerned, the above is the most important thing in getting started playing the horses, it isn't just learning how to read the form, it's knowing where you are, who you are and what you intend to get out of the game. That in it's self is the reason why like I said, there's many different ways the game is played.

At this point in my post, I could go into a litany of basic handicapping principles and common sense rules but I'm not here to write a book and I woudn't discount those that have published on the subject with years of experience. I can say this, the way I approach the game you won't end up in the poor horse and you'll enjoy the game as much as I have over the years. If that's possible. :cool:

Just one more note, I said knowing where your at. Well, as we get older things change so you have to adjust as you go. I'm not near as sharp as I used to be, the pulse of the track is waning along with many other things I took for granted. By adjusting I'm still in the game and I sure as heck won't take up bingo.

Good luck,

T.D.

joeyspicks
07-22-2005, 08:55 AM
I would say Winners File is a really really good starting point. Read that and understand it and you can go in any numer of directions after that.

KingChas
07-22-2005, 09:28 AM
:D Sounds like ya should read 'em all and develop your own handicapping method! :D

NDJ

We were all newbies at one time!Tell e'm NDJ. ;)

The majority of the younger generation of today want to buy knowledge.I would rather earn mine.

twindouble
07-22-2005, 11:22 AM
I would say Winners File is a really really good starting point. Read that and understand it and you can go in any numer of directions after that.

joey; What's the Winners File?

Lefty
07-22-2005, 11:41 AM
Winner's File is a book by Henry Kuck. May be out of print.

twindouble
07-22-2005, 11:48 AM
Winner's File is a book by Henry Kuck. May be out of print.

Thanks, Lefty; I thought it might be a place to go to here on PA.

oddswizard
07-22-2005, 01:26 PM
Yes, there are books that feature simple handicapping techniques without the computer that you will be able to use on a daily basis. Money management is the key to profits. Call the gamblers book shop in las Vegas and they will recommend the best books.

kenwoodallpromos
07-22-2005, 02:44 PM
"The Complete Idiot’s Guide To Betting on Horses helps you build the skills you need to understand horse racing. If offers solid information about what makes a good racehorse, from appearance to behavior to performance. An excellent new comers reference."

twindouble
07-22-2005, 05:00 PM
"The Complete Idiot’s Guide To Betting on Horses helps you build the skills you need to understand horse racing. If offers solid information about what makes a good racehorse, from appearance to behavior to performance. An excellent new comers reference."

kenwood; Is it me? I just don't care for idea of loading up a new comers with a bunch of books, it's like here you are go to school and come back when you graduate. To me the best way to go is on the job experience, rubbing elbos with good handicappers, and getting the full spectrum of racing by being at the track. Anyway that's where they should start.

Overlay
07-22-2005, 05:03 PM

That one didn't even occur to me. (Where was my head at? :bang: ) Excellent suggestion (and certainly more up-to-date than Ainslie, although I would still recommend that he be given a look).

Overlay
07-23-2005, 04:37 PM
Horse-Race Betting for Dummies by Richard Eng is another possibility. (I guess it all depends on whether you prefer being classified as a dummy or a complete idiot.) ;)

kenwoodallpromos
07-23-2005, 06:44 PM
"To me the best way to go is on the job experience, rubbing elbos with good handicappers"
Your suggestion is excellent, but I was merely respomding to the original post.
My brother and Ainslie's book taught me very basic procedures, but Unfortunately my brother has lost for 30 years so I did not pick up many personal good angles or ideas.

Achilles
07-23-2005, 07:44 PM
A couple of comments on Henry Kuck's Winner's File: You can get a copy from a bookseller thru Alibris on the net. I got one in perfect condition for $10 or $11. The first time I read it, I put it back on the shelf without completing it; it seemed out of date and was much more qualitative than my own very quantitative orientation could accommodate. I went back to it during a period when I had stopped handicapping, and it seemed much more relevant. His chapter(s) on analyzing track bias were simple and very sane. His form cycle analysis was good too, in terms of how the horse would be expected to run under today's conditions, but if you are very numbers oriented, you may think otherwise. After I finish this response, I think I'm going to dig it out and read some of it again.

Before I started trying to download PP's and use my computer more, rather than marking up the DRF, here were some of the steps in my handicapping process and the name of the author relevant to that step: 1) Speed Points (Quirin), 2) Running Style (Sartin and Brohamer), 3) Read Race Conditions (Quinn), 4) Identify Contenders (Beyer, Quirin, Quinn), 5) Pace Analysis (Sartin, Brohammer, Hambleton, C.J. and other Pace Advantage contributors, et al), 6) Search out angle plays (Cramer, Helm). All of the above may not apply to every type of race. There are many books and authors that I've probably left out, but I think you'll get a sense that I organized my thought process by borrowing bits and pieces of other folks thought processes.

The above kind of methodology is best applied if you are concentrating on one or two tracks, while the computer-heavy method that I am trying to go with now is wider ranging and enables wider play.